Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2016, 02:12 AM   #46
bxf
Veteran Member

If the objective is to impress the viewer, then these images fail miserably. I know, because I produce similar stuff and it doesn't impress me

At the same time, I can't imagine anyone making a purchase decision based largely on a company's advertising.

01-15-2016, 02:20 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
I guess then a question that echoes another thread is what was the first lens Pentax mounted on the K1?

- Eric
Most likely a lens designed for lab use, not a lens you and me like to use for photography.
01-15-2016, 03:41 AM - 4 Likes   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think we need to be honest. These photos are purely designed to keep Pentaxians who want full frame really badly from going out and buying a D610 now. Ricoh is saying, "Just a couple more months and you could mount your FA limiteds on this."

People shooting Canon, Nikon and Sony right now could care less about this camera -- even if there were a couple of phenomenal photos from Antartica that came out. Sure, some may switch if the price and specifications are right, but they certainly aren't going to make up their mind based on a few photos and rumor.

And so, I think these photos are fine. It at least tells us there are working full frame cameras out there, that are coming soon and we can hang in there till they arrive.
01-15-2016, 04:05 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
do you really want to see shots of a strip tease so you can pixle peep the full frontals...... then blow a trumpet?
LOL. No.

In general you merely want the act to start slow, then proceed to an artistically and theatrically satisfying conclusion. Which is how Ricoh is playing the teaser site.

Clinical details of the performer usually dont need to be a visible part of the show.

01-15-2016, 05:05 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just had an easily implemented idéa for the K-1. I hope they call the crop function an Integrated digital 1,5x teleconverter!
01-15-2016, 06:06 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's quite possible that those three images, while dull, have features that show that the lenses perform well on the FF.

It's just that this is impossible to judge from the tiny and gritty "larger images".
01-15-2016, 06:39 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
LOL. No.

In general you merely want the act to start slow, then proceed to an artistically and theatrically satisfying conclusion. Which is how Ricoh is playing the teaser site.

Clinical details of the performer usually dont need to be a visible part of the show.
Ha ha. To stay in the metaphor, I fear only the most desperate, old geezers are still hanging around at this time. A few will have fallen asleep or even passed away before we reach climax

But seriosuly, I agree in the analysis: Ricoh don't have aspirations of selling this camera to Casonikon owners in numbers worth talking about. It is to keep Pentax users within the fold. Maybe some time in the future... I still think their "lo fi" approach is unfortunate, because to me it displays a lack of commitment.

01-15-2016, 06:49 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me, this is not a photo contest.

To me, photo contest is about photography, talent, vision, representation, and critical appraisal of the art form.

I find it really goofy that some of you would make purchasing decisions based on pictures taken by photographers who can out shoot you with iPhone every time. Granted, some brands do exactly that. But for me, that can only lead to a false sense of security, not being able to shoot anything anywhere near what these "fantastic" photos led you to believe you can. This will lead you to the land of discontent and disappointment.

To me, this is about a tool, and what it can potentially do for me based on my ability. I want to see shot like these, which I can inspect the key aspects of going to larger area of sensor size without interference. Because I shoot with 645d and K-5 IIS, for me this falls into between APS-C and MF. All I want to know if this camera fills that gap. In the hands of competent commercial photographers, most cameras if not all can produce fantastic photos. All that is to me is background noises and biases that can interfere my ability to correctly and accurately to assess the true worth of a tool.

I am not at all concerned about marketing. That is not for me to worry. I am not a Ricoh stockholder. I don't even need pentax to be successful for that matter, although of course I wish them all success because I love their products. But I am not in the need of them being wildly popular in validation my choice of equipment. If they bomb and fumble it and make a big mess of it, so be it. I can live with that because I already have what I think I need to shoot what and how I like. Adaptor options are such these days that moving onto another brands is not as tedious as before.

So I think these photos are just fine for what they are. In fact, I applaud them for the choice of them. They are not willing to blow smoke in our faces. It shows that they feel good about what they have in their hands. If anything it makes it exciting.

I cannot wait until I get my hands on it.

Last edited by Fontan; 01-15-2016 at 08:19 AM.
01-15-2016, 06:58 AM   #54
Veteran Member

I guess I'm not the only one who was disappointed by those sample pics when I saw them. I feel like I was doing better than that with my 77mm attached to the Pentax K100D 6 years ago. Ricoh needs to do better when it comes to presentation instead of using part of the old Hoya playbook.
01-15-2016, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I tend to speed read these posts...... so ....do you really want to see shots of a strip tease so you can pixle peep the full frontals...... then blow a trumpet?
That must be a very specific fetish.
01-15-2016, 04:52 PM - 3 Likes   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Somewhere in an office far far away a bunch of Ricoh employees are ROFL. "See, I told you if we posted some crappy images their silly forum would implode. What do you want to do with the next post?"
01-15-2016, 05:41 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

IIRC when the finished 645z was presented a number of truly stunning studio images was released, but not as teasers - not before the release. When K-3ll was released it was accompanied by pretty astonishing, well lighted and composed large images demonstrating pixel shift. But no teasers.

I'd expect to see large files and full demonstration images concurrent with the unveiling at CP+.

BYW, I'd bet the primary review media people have finished units in their hands right now, under NDA. There have been one or two posts today hinting at that.
01-28-2016, 07:40 AM   #58
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
They could have shot it in the southern hemisphere, where it blooms at a different time of year. In Australia, for example, 'Flowering occurs mostly during late spring and early summer (i.e. from October to December).'. If so, the image may only be a month old.

Ricoh have shot many sample images in Australia recently - eg for the D FA 150-450, the K-S2 etc.
it's New Zealand
02-01-2016, 12:20 PM   #59
Veteran Member

No...

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Obviously PentaxIsDOOOMED™!
I've told you till I'm BLUE IN THE FACE!!! It's NOT 'PentaxIsDOOOMED™'...

It's 'Pentax is doomed...DOOMED!!!'

Get it right, Boris, or go home!!

Cheers,
Cameron
02-01-2016, 01:09 PM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
I've told you till I'm BLUE IN THE FACE!!! It's NOT 'PentaxIsDOOOMED™'...

It's 'Pentax is doomed...DOOMED!!!'

Get it right, Boris, or go home!!

Cheers,
Cameron
But it has to be spoken in a melancholy Scottish accent by John Laurie (Frazer, in Dad's Army).
Brian