Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
I would certainly buy one if priced about the same as the 01, and supposing a similar product quality. The 08 is just too expensive and the 03, although fun to use, is more like a better than nothing solution.

It would be really interesting if Pentax launched an updated Q body. The Q7/Q-S1 generation really begin to look outdated relative to the competion, not even talking about the older Q/Q10.
Agreed re the lens pricing. As for the Q7 / Q-S1 generation looking outdated... perhaps it is, I haven't really thought about it, as I don't really see what there is that can compete directly in terms of size, and reach using DSLR lenses... But I would certainly be interested in an updated Q. Not sure I would buy it right away, as I've only had my Q7 a matter of months, but maybe in the future - once the price comes down

01-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If they can keep the size down like the size of the 01, though it will probably be wider in diameter like the 08, I would love to have this type of lens. My dream lens would be a redo of the 02 where it's f2.0 (or even faster) throughout the range.
01-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
And later a converter with autofocus for F/FA and DA lenses.
You'd likely need an external power source for that, or a new Q with a bigger battery. It might be feasible to develop a unit similar to the Nikon FT1 (for the Nikon 1 line) which will AF only with motor-driven lenses.
01-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
You'd likely need an external power source for that, or a new Q with a bigger battery. It might be feasible to develop a unit similar to the Nikon FT1 (for the Nikon 1 line) which will AF only with motor-driven lenses.
When I've expressed a desire for a more capable adapter, I've assumed that it would not provide a screw-drive (I've also assumed that I'd need a pocketful of batteries)

01-16-2016, 12:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When I've expressed a desire for a more capable adapter, I've assumed that it would not provide a screw-drive (I've also assumed that I'd need a pocketful of batteries)
There is cable adapter, it's just very hard to find outside of Japan. Look at tiny rubber door on the bottom side of battery compartment.
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/r_dc/option/ac/
01-16-2016, 08:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
No, not a external battery, a internal battery in the converter.
If Pentax chooses only SDM and DC lenses for a converter, you only have DA55, DA16-50, DFA24-70, DA50-135, DA200, DA300, DFA70-200 and DFA150-450 + Sigma.
And then F/FA and the limited lenses donīt work. So DA35Macro, DA40, FA43, DA70 and ... that can be nice as telelenses with autufocus donīt work.
So whatīs the point?
OK, perhaps DA16-50 (is ~75-230mm at Q7) works to go around with (and DA55 ), but a Q on DFA24-70 handhold?

A battery holder/ grip in the front instead of that round thing on QS-1 are good too (also without a converter).
01-17-2016, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #22
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Agreed re the lens pricing. As for the Q7 / Q-S1 generation looking outdated... perhaps it is, I haven't really thought about it, as I don't really see what there is that can compete directly in terms of size, and reach using DSLR lenses... But I would certainly be interested in an updated Q. Not sure I would buy it right away, as I've only had my Q7 a matter of months, but maybe in the future - once the price comes down
Well the Q is unique in terms of size/weight combined with interchangeable lenses. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have to be updated. I personally would like good connectivity to be able to share your photos through a smartphone, a touchscreen which would help to customize the in-camera filters more easily and maybe a viewfinder (but I'd be ok with an improved LCD that is useful in sunlight). Maybe a GPS would be nice too. O, and if we're on it, maybe a watertight housing as an accessory so that I can use the Q when I'm diving.

---------- Post added 01-17-2016 at 12:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
No, not a external battery, a internal battery in the converter.
If Pentax chooses only SDM and DC lenses for a converter, you only have DA55, DA16-50, DFA24-70, DA50-135, DA200, DA300, DFA70-200 and DFA150-450 + Sigma.
And then F/FA and the limited lenses donīt work. So DA35Macro, DA40, FA43, DA70 and ... that can be nice as telelenses with autufocus donīt work.
So whatīs the point?
OK, perhaps DA16-50 (is ~75-230mm at Q7) works to go around with (and DA55 ), but a Q on DFA24-70 handhold?
I think most people would probably prefer the 06 telephoto zoom to the 16-50 in this case. It's a 15-45mm f/2.8 lens. I picked mine up used for 50 euros. (I think I got lucky)

01-17-2016, 06:50 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
O, and if we're on it, maybe a watertight housing as an accessory so that I can use the Q when I'm diving.
+1
I would like a updated, more "professional" Q, with the newest sensor, better AF, an (optional) EVF and an underwater housing (like Olympus is providing for their mirrorless cameras). It probably would need a bigger, more powerful battery, which would affect the overall size, but I wouldn't mind that. The Q would be a nice little diving camera.
01-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by wisent Quote
+1
I would like a updated, more "professional" Q, with the newest sensor, better AF, an (optional) EVF and an underwater housing (like Olympus is providing for their mirrorless cameras). It probably would need a bigger, more powerful battery, which would affect the overall size, but I wouldn't mind that. The Q would be a nice little diving camera.
I would prefer to be able to still stick it in my BCD though! But then I've only made 9 dives so far, so I'm not that experienced yet.
01-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

i would prefer a really long tele lens (stabilized) wr and a weather sealed new Q body with optional or internal EVF. This beast would sell like hotcake for birders and eventphotographers.(if the lens would deliver high IQ pics...)
01-20-2016, 01:57 AM   #26
Veteran Member

One of the most space consuming features of the Q cameras are the screen. The Theta series don't have a screen and people don't miss it because their phone screen does that job through tethering. I hope Pentax develops a Q camera without a screen and the battery capacity needed to run the screen. A tiny Q camera with flash shoe mount and optional EVF mount. No built in flash, but an external slim dual tone LED flash with a hinge that allows it to be tilted. The new screenless Q should be sold with several plastic mounting brackets for phones, with tripod screw mount.

Obviously no phone company will in the foreseeable future make a phone with a lens mount, flash shoe, EVF, tripod mount and DNG file format. And even if they did, the phone would most likely not fit many peoples needs and wants. Having an external camera unit will give us the freedom to choose the optimal phone features without compromising on camera features.

For comparison the Olympus Air and Sony Alpha QX1 does have a lens mount but they don't have flash shoe, EVF shoe or tripod mount. These cameras are also much thicker due to much larger flange distance, larger and more battery consuming sensors and larger optics. A Pentax Q like model could be far slimmer and more pocketable, even with EVF and flash.

Pentax has all it needs, including the wireless tethering technology. Its just to combine the components, market and sell it.

Last edited by Simen1; 01-20-2016 at 05:31 AM. Reason: tethering
01-20-2016, 04:16 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
One of the most space consuming features of the Q cameras are the screen. The Theta series don't have a screen and people don't miss it because their phone screen does that job through thetering. I hope Pentax develops a Q camera without a screen and the battery capacity needed to run the screen. A tiny Q camera with flash shoe mount and optional EVF mount. No built in flash, but an external slim dual tone LED flash with a hinge that allows it to be tilted. The new screenless Q should be sold with several plastic mounting brackets for phones, with tripod screw mount.

Obviously no phone company will in the foreseeable future make a phone with a lens mount, flash shoe, EVF, tripod mount and DNG file format. And even if they did, the phone would most likely not fit many peoples needs and wants. Having an external camera unit will give us the freedom to choose the optimal phone features without compromising on camera features.

For comparison the Olympus Air and Sony Alpha QX1 does have a lens mount but they don't have flash shoe, EVF shoe or tripod mount. These cameras are also much thicker due to much larger flange distance, larger and more battery consuming sensors and larger optics. A Pentax Q like model could be far slimmer and more pocketable, even with EVF and flash.

Pentax has all it needs, including the wireless thetering technology. Its just to combine the components, market and sell it.
Maybe Pentax should put an evf on the q and not a screen.
01-20-2016, 04:28 AM   #28
Veteran Member

A 4.5mm lens would be great!

Yes Yes Yes Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes Yes please :P
01-20-2016, 05:08 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Yes, but I think EVF should be an option, not built in. The other options being to use a phone screen for tethering or remote control it via Wifi, LAN or Internet.

The Q with a normal prime but without other accessories could be comparable to Gopro size.

Last edited by Simen1; 01-20-2016 at 05:31 AM. Reason: tethering
01-20-2016, 05:17 AM   #30
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Yes, but I think EVF should be an option, not built in. The other options being to use a phone screen for thetering or remote control it via Wifi, LAN or Internet.

The Q with a normal prime but without other accessories could be comparable to Gopro size.
Do you mean tethering?

Peronally, I don't like the idea of having to use a smart-phone as a screen. I don't use a smart-phone, and I want my camera to have everything it needs to let me take, and check, my photos while I'm out and about using it. I could see the point of having a camera like you describe as a completely new model, but not as an evolution of the Q series.