Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2016, 04:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Samyang 85mm f/1,4 is tested on K-3 II at DxOmark

While we are waiting for the 645Z sensor review, DxOmark provide an article to make the wait less frustrating.

Samyang 85mm f/1,4 is tested on K-3 II at DxOmark.

Last edited by Simen1; 01-21-2016 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Keywords: DxO, DxOMark, Samyang, K-3II, K3-2
01-21-2016, 04:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They say that it requires stop down metering, but somehow, I thought the Pentax version had data connection and allowed for the aperture to be controlled from the body.
01-21-2016, 04:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless they have dumbed down recent versions of this lens. Rondec is correct.
01-21-2016, 04:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

What dumbed down version? UMC 85/1.4 looks like this. Current shipping, photos from about a month ago.

01-21-2016, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Dxo seem to be completely losing it IMO.
Dunno what they are smoking but it looks like quite powerful.
Duh...
01-21-2016, 04:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I don't know what lens they got, but its not geniuine Samyang, maybe its some kind of rebrand&redesign clone like it was before-for example BOWER/FALCON version of first Sammy 8/3.5 fish eye had removable hood that oryginal was lacking.
01-21-2016, 05:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
They say that it requires stop down metering, but somehow, I thought the Pentax version had data connection and allowed for the aperture to be controlled from the body.
You are right.
Pentax is moreover the only label benefitting from the A position with Samyang, allowed by it's mechanical (yet "primitiv" according to the UNIQUE THINKING ) aperture lever.
I dunno how DxO found another model... but if that existed, it could well have been borrowed to anyone for the test.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 01-21-2016 at 05:21 AM.
01-21-2016, 05:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
You are right.
Pentax is moreover the only label benefitting from the A position with Samyang, allowed by it's mechanical (yet "primitiv" according to the UNIQUE THINKING ) aperture lever.
I dunno how DxO found another model...
01-21-2016, 05:55 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
You are right.
I dunno how DxO found another model... but if that existed, it could well have been borrowed to anyone for the test.
The tested lens is my copy, that I let them calibrate and test in october and november. There is an 'A' position on the aperture ring and I control the aperture from the camera without any issue (at least on my K5 and K3 I have no problem with it). So for me it is probably a typo or a quick copy/paste of an other review...
01-21-2016, 06:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This is probably true on Canon, no? Canon's mount is entirely electronic with, I think, tighter integration of autofocus and aperture settings since pretty much everything is done in the lens.
01-21-2016, 06:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Not realy, Canon version is stepped down, and has no in lens metering at all-there are no contacts on mount(as far as I remember my time with it on my brothers old cam). All metering in P and A is made in body of course if camera body supports that.

Last edited by Reed; 01-21-2016 at 06:14 AM.
01-21-2016, 06:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The DxO tests match the results I've observed with my Rokinon version of the 85 f1.4. Which has an A setting. It's a good value performer.
01-21-2016, 06:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, they were plain incorrect on the stop down metering.

It gets worse, "while the performance of the samyang is lackluster wide open"... Errr, the samyang is one of the most usable f/1.4 lenses I've ever seen.
01-21-2016, 06:25 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gorme Quote
The tested lens is my copy, that I let them calibrate and test in october and november. There is an 'A' position on the aperture ring and I control the aperture from the camera without any issue (at least on my K5 and K3 I have no problem with it). So for me it is probably a typo or a quick copy/paste of an other review...
The specific comment in the first paragraph of the review is: "We’ve already mentioned that the lens lacks autofocus, but like the others (except the Nikon-mount option), the Pentax-mount version requires stopped-down metering (and with that, closing the lens to the shooting aperture) and lacks any data bus connections, so the camera cannot record any EXIF data (such as the aperture setting)." An odd thing to say if there is an A setting on the aperture ring.
01-21-2016, 06:47 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Also the lens transmission is "measured" to be T1.8, cine version that is exactly the same design and material-was measured in some other reviews as T1.5.... that whole "review" is bull***