Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2008, 06:46 PM   #31

The open source firmware is a brilliant idea that would really set Pentax apart as photographers camera company. It would be nice as well to be provided with a firmware editing program allowing the not so computer literate user to "write" their own firmware in the form of heavy customization of settings and buttons.

07-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It wouldn't take much on the part of Pentax... All it would take is the whitepaper of the camera processor, the whitepaper of the PRIME processor, and a memory map. For the K10d, the processor is known and the whitepaper is available, the PRIME processor is "somewhat known", but very little info is publicly available, and the holy grail... the memory map - no known info. No one has tackled that beast as far as I know. All of this could be hacked/figured out, but would require a lot of time and resources (the firmware package is rather large), but from there several things could be developed - ie... A simple button mapping program for those less computer inclined that could give direct access to WB/ISO if you need it... or the complex like lower compression JPEG settings, or more in camera processing capabilities (like Velvia emulation, etc...), or cycle through flashing red, green, or blue for which channel clipped and where in the preview. There could be dozens of different firmwares available all offering new appealing features on a discontinued/unsupported camera. It does sound exciting, I wonder what it would take to get Pentax to help.
07-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Undefined (photo) Quote
The open source firmware is a brilliant idea that would really set Pentax apart as photographers camera company. It would be nice as well to be provided with a firmware editing program allowing the not so computer literate user to "write" their own firmware in the form of heavy customization of settings and buttons.
This is an excellent idea. And crucially, it'd help deal with the other problem I have with Pentax right now: I understand why they need to focus on new development rather than supporting old models, but by sending the message that new cameras will get a year or less of firmware support, they actually decrease the value of the new cameras.
07-04-2008, 01:45 AM   #34
Veteran Member

most companies think of open source as a support nightmare (whether it is or not)

the big question in asking about making their niche market better is

what is their niche market???

35-40++ year olds, film background (hence brand recognition), often lower budget, and landscape & studio shooters ?????????????????????????????

07-04-2008, 09:53 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Undefined (photo) Quote
I am suprised when I see people on here complaining that Pentax does not advertise, at least in light of what I see here in BC: lots of highway billboards advertsing shake reduction and lens compatability, accompanied by an enormous close up of a k10D or k100DS (okay so they need updating). Along with numerous billboards at BC ferries terminals on both sides of the Strait of Georgia. I'm guessing the situation is different south of the border...
I wish they did 1/10th of that in the US. The only way I found out about Pentax was by going to a specialized camera shop to look at a Nikon D80 and happened to notice a Pentax K10D sitting in the corner...no advertising what so ever. Luckily the clerk at that store happened to be a Pentax user so she was eager to show it to me. Other stores I've been too act almost like I'm a idiot for asking to see Pentax gear. Some in-store displays would be nice.

I've noticed a little more these days with the martini ad in magazines and even a K20D ad on DP Review, but I see nothing in the way of billboards, posters, or TV ads here. But of course you see ads for the Canon Rebel or Nikon D60 during just about any sporting event you watch. TV ads aside, they simply need to get int Best Buy here if they want to sell camera's. That's where the vast majority of people here go to look at camera's. An in-store display promoting the K200D would work well there.
07-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #36
Inactive Account

I would like to see Pentax improve their camera's in ways I have mentioned in other threads and other users have other needs however you can't please all of the people all of the time. That being said going into the big chain stores is not the answer, maybe for the entry level and point and shoot market yes but not for your "flagship gear" those should be sold at the camera shop (pro level) where the person selling you the camera knows how to actually use the thing. Pentax should promote this angle as it supports it's dealer network and gives the dealers a reason to promote the product. Think about this you will not find your "High End" audio equipment at Best Buy or Circuit City and certinly not at wally world, you will not find "Pro Grade" yard equipment ie. Sthil, Commercial grade Husqurvarna, Echo ect. at your local Home Depot and Lowes, For the quailty equipment you need to go to a dealer that has been trained on how to operate, optimize, and sell said quailty equipment I think if Pentax were to explore this path, say exclusive club they would be better off. The hell with keeping up with the Jones' We Are Pentax We Are Better Let Us Show You How.

It started off as a dollars worth but after taxes and such it is only $.02
07-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The thing that irks me is that I use my camera for close-up and macro phototography about 70% of the time. However, if one buys the k20d or k200d, there is know macro flash from Pentax or 3rd party that will work. On top of that, Pentax's top p-ttl flash rivals the cost of a k200d body.
07-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The thing that irks me is that I use my camera for close-up and macro phototography about 70% of the time. However, if one buys the k20d or k200d, there is know macro flash from Pentax or 3rd party that will work. On top of that, Pentax's top p-ttl flash rivals the cost of a k200d body.
look here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/26217-macro-flash-update.html

07-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #39
Site Supporter

I'm aware of Promaster's macrolume and have waiting to see if it works as tauted. The same with the sigma but am leaning towards the Promaster. In fact, I'm waiting for an answer from the Flashexpert myself. That still doesn't let Pentax off the hook.
Are you using the Promaster.
07-04-2008, 10:41 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by the_int21h Quote
Everyone here has a passion for Pentax (more or less) and would like to see them produce a real wonder of a camera body without having to consider sacrifice when making a purchase. Though I would like to see a FF camera body, I don't think it will surface anytime soon because of the investment Pentax has made into the current lens line and not all have full coverage
We won't see one soon because Sony's full frame would be too expensive for Pentax to include in a body. It would not be too expensive for Nikon because Nikon can charge $5,000 for a full frame but Pentax cannot. Hence Pentax would need to wait until Samsung can come up with a full frame sensor. That will take time. 2009 would probably be the earliest for a full frame CMOS sensor.

- Pentax could make a square sensor. Who here doesn't crop??? Playing with an old Yashica TLR I got to thinking that a square sensor wouldn't be much more to produce and the image circle from the current line of lenses could accomodate it.
Cropping a square sensor means a lot of wasted pixels. Cropping a 3:2 aspect ratio sensor makes more sense because there is less waste. Since sensor space is very expensive, it would not make sense to waste money on space that would be thrown away.

- Throw in a few metering eyes on the sensor and give us the off-the-film metering from the LX on a modern digital.
I wouldn't mind off the film plane metering at all. It means OTF TTL flash will be resurrected. No more preflash TTL flash.

- A live view that's worth a flip.. It's like what was brought up in K20's review @ dpreview... Manufacturers are including live view without knowing really what to do with it other than to compete.
The Pentax EI2000 had a flippable LCD, so it is not like camera makers do not know how to flip the LCD. I think this feature will appear in future DSLR cameras.

- Now on the crazy side... Get rid of the viewfinder and make it strickly live view.
Now, that is crazy. We may one day see a pellicle mirror in a DSLR again, but we will never see the mirror taken out of the DSLR.

Anyways, has anyone thought of any other crazy things that Pentax could do to make people take a second look?
Yes, a crazy idea that Pentax can do to improve its appeal is to market a 400mm f/5.6 lens that will equal the Canon 400mm L in performance, for around the same price or less. Crazy? You bet. Otherwise how can you explain the absence of this lens from the Pentax lens lineup? LOL.

Right now, Pentax users are scrambling around trying to find AF lenses that are 400mm or longer, and paying crazy prices for used ones on the market.
07-04-2008, 11:20 PM   #41

As others have mentioned, Promaster makes a P-TTL macro flash for Pentax. Also, if you use a *ist DS or D, you can use a wide variety of TTL macro flashes made for film cameras. These unique DSLR cameras have a flash sensor in the mirror box. In fact, a used *ist D or DS body plus a TTL flash is likely to be cheaper than a P-TTL flash from Pentax.
07-05-2008, 02:46 AM   #42
Veteran Member

I'm aware of Promaster's macrolume and have waiting to see if it works as tauted. The same with the sigma but am leaning towards the Promaster. In fact, I'm waiting for an answer from the Flashexpert myself. That still doesn't let Pentax off the hook.
Are you using the Promaster.
Hi, I agree a pentax version would be better. I like the look of the promaster, but not being in the US made it difficult and I am trying to decide what to do with whole system so I put it off for a until later in the year. I would love to hear of anyone who has used it

Phil
07-05-2008, 09:21 PM   #43
Pentaxian

it must be very smart.

such, a sealed focusing screen housing from factory, so there wont be any dust/dirt flocking into my viewfinder.

--

how about they re-introduce the "power zoom"?

--
07-06-2008, 08:05 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I wouldn't mind off the film plane metering at all. It means OTF TTL flash will be resurrected. No more preflash TTL flash.
Wouldn't that be great ...but didn't the demise of TTL with the advent of DSLRs have something to do with the reflective qualities of sensors not being compatible with TTL metering?

QuoteQuote:
Yes, a crazy idea that Pentax can do to improve its appeal is to market a 400mm f/5.6 lens that will equal the Canon 400mm L in performance, for around the same price or less. Crazy? You bet. Otherwise how can you explain the absence of this lens from the Pentax lens lineup? LOL.

Right now, Pentax users are scrambling around trying to find AF lenses that are 400mm or longer, and paying crazy pric
I agree, and that is one reason the idea of trying to produce both FF and APS bodies concerns me ...can Pentax supply lenses for both formats?
07-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #45

How about a mono-only sensor, maybe with enhanced IR sensitivity?