Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #46
Todd K.

I think this would work...

A Canon G9/Ricoh GRD type camera with a K20D sensor. I expect that it would find its way into the camera bags/pockets of many pros and in the process bring Pentax a little more street credibility.

07-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #47
Inactive Account

How about a modern film version of the medium format Pentax 67II..Call it the Pentax 67IV..

An aluminum, titanium, brass, & high-tech plastic body that weighs in at 1000g instead of the 1210g of the 67II..

A large bright AE viewfinder with a percentage of coverage similar to the MX or LX..That weighs in at 350g instead of the 450g of the 67II's AE prism finder..

Focusing screens that are easily interchanged by the user similar to the 67II..

A folding waist-level finder & a rigid magnifying finder with laterally correct images..

Settable ISO range from 4-12500..

An electronic shutter with settable shutter speeds that go up to at least 1/2000 second..Preferably 1/4000 second..

Standard flash sync speed of 1/250 second..

A small selection (6) of electronic leaf shutter lenses with a top speed of 1/1000 second--[examples: 45mm f2.8 AL ED, 55mm f2.8 AL ED, 75mm f2.8 AL ED, 105mm f2 AL ED, 170mm f2.8 ED, 200mm f4 Macro 1:1 ED]..These lenses would allow for super-quiet operation for both macro & street photography..They would also allow for a truly useful range of flash speeds for the fashion, macro, & wedding photographer..Installing the leaf shutter lens onto the body would automatically disable the in-body shutter..

Bring back those lenses, perhaps updated with AL or ED glass & internal focusing where necessary or desired, from the 67II's time..The ones with the best reputations..The 45mm f4, the 55mm f4, the 75mm f2.8 AL, the 90mm f2.8, the 100mm f4 Macro, the 105mm f2.4, the 165mm f2.8, the 200mm f4, the M* 300mm f4 ED (IF), the M* 400mm f4 ED (IF), the M* 800mm f6.7 ED (IF)..

Bring out a new line of glass that fills in where the above lenses do not..A 35mm f4 AL ED (IF), 135mm f2.8 ED, a 200mm f2.8 ED (IF), a 300mm f5.6 ED, a 400mm f5.6 ED, a 600mm f5.6 ED (IF), a 600mm f8 ED, a 800mm f8 ED..

Introduce a line of 4 tilt-shift lenses for architectural photography..A 45mm f4, a 55mm f4, a 75mm f4, & a 105mm f4..

Allow for ALL of the legacy glass to be compatible with the new body..

Bring out teleconverters & extension tubes that allow for full AE information to be transmitted to the camera body..Have a 1.4x, a 1.7x, & a 2.1x teleconverter utilizing high-quality glass, optical design, & coatings..Make the teleconverters as efficient as possible, even if they end up being expensive..Bring back the older design 1.4x & 2x teleconverters as a lower cost alternative..Have a coupler allowing the modern inner bayonet teleconverters to be used with the Takumar 6x7 lenses equipped with outer bayonet flanges..

Make a special production run of spare parts for the Takumar 6x7 MLU bodies, the 67 bodies, & the 67II bodies after consulting with the best of the repair techs worldwide as to the greatest need for spare parts..Offer the spare parts to ALL reputable repair techs with track records at cost, plus 10%, plus shipping..Do the same thing for the legacy lenses..Encourage the older bodies to be repaired & brought back into regular use..

Offer a trade-in policy for older bodies & lenses when purchasing the newer 67IV body..Send the trade-in bodies & lenses to either a national Pentax repair center, or one of the reputable repair techs to be CLA'd & repaired as necessary in order to put the cameras back into circulation so as to continue the long legacy of the Pentax 6x7 camera system..These less expensive bodies would allow the newcomer to medium format to buy into the system without incurring the cost of the modern body..But, with a fully serviceable body..

Such a trade-in & repair policy could only benefit Pentax..The goodwill generated would more than make up for any economic losses in instituting such a system..
07-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Todd K. Quote
A Canon G9/Ricoh GRD type camera with a K20D sensor. I expect that it would find its way into the camera bags/pockets of many pros and in the process bring Pentax a little more street credibility.
Sadly, I don't think it's possible. Look at the compromises Sigma had to make with the DP1 to fit into that size of camera body and that's with a 1.7-crop-factor sensor.
07-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Back to basics???

I had a thought last night. After the wife and my son went to bed, I pulled out the Wii for a little nighttime fun when it occurred to me... The Wii is extremely popular in the US (not sure about the rest of the world), but it's interesting to see the sophisticated Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 with all their bells and whistles faultering behind it in sales. Why is it so popular? The price is right and it's a gameconsole that is actually fun to play. I thought that it was very similar in the megapixel race. There's only so many pixels you can pack onto a sensor without sacrificing IQ. Why not a simple camera like the K200d - stay at 10mp and only add bluetooth. Pentax could make a GPS that could stay in the camera bag or strapped to a tripod and communicate through bluetooth. A lot of third party vendors could get into the game and help bolster Pentax's sales. It's kind of like my iPod. I thought I had lost it over the last few weeks and finally broke down and started considering to purchase something else when I realized that the accessories you can get for an iPod far outweigh the difference in initial price. Allow other vendors to make accessories with full access to the camera. Like a wireless flash that operates through bluetooth. There's a whole slew of things that could be made. Let the accessories sell the camera. Just an idea...
h

07-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #50

Weather-sealed lenses throughout the range, starting with the 18-55mm. Pentax needs another differentiator, and since their current bodies are already sealed, it makes a lot of sense to seal the lenses too.

I assume that seals are less expensive to make than image-stabilizers, so they should still be competitive price-wise with Nikon and Canon.

Prog.
07-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote
Weather-sealed lenses throughout the range, starting with the 18-55mm. Pentax needs another differentiator, and since their current bodies are already sealed, it makes a lot of sense to seal the lenses too.

I assume that seals are less expensive to make than image-stabilizers, so they should still be competitive price-wise with Nikon and Canon.

Prog.
I agree with this. I've talked to casual / prospective DSLR owners, and they like this feature, but having to fork over another $700 for a sealed lens sort diminishes its appeal.
07-08-2008, 11:09 PM   #52
Veteran Member

It should be easy and cheap to seal lenses with thin o-rings. They could even have one at the outer edge of the lens mount. It might take a larger SDM motor to overcome the slightly greater resistance while focusing though.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by Prognathous Quote

Prog.