Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i want full carbon fibre body. sealed tight. and retro look like the mighty LX.

--

07-07-2008, 03:07 AM   #32

Original Poster
Pentax Fans

Thank You for you suggestions and comments, hope Pentax cans see what we want to see... A Pro Model Body and a Pro Model Flash and a Real Sealed Fast Lens. " I had a dream that I was holding a new Pentax DSLR Model on it had 3.5 LCD, Featured buttons for White Balance and ISO. Metering sensor that where beyond Canon and Nikon technology, burst speeds up to 10 Frams per second, Lens on it like a micro bazooka at 80 millimeter in diameters at 1.8F - 100mm to 500mm range. I was sweating so bad, but I wasn't worried. The reinforce seals from the Flash, mounted on the camera was water proof with its new 360 dual swivel body, built in pocket wizzard. I knew I didn't have to worry. So I was standing there holding this DSLR Camera in my hand and in my other hand I had a 8 gigabite CF HS card. After inserting this new card format in back of the camera I turn it on and it felt like an earth quake just shook the camera. Wow I was amazed. I looked threw the viewfinder an was just...." Man was that a Full Frame Sensor?..
07-07-2008, 04:28 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Don't count on any fps machine gun from Pentax, they just won't do that. Forget it quickly: not their market for at least a couple years.
07-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #34

I'd like solid , rugged construction that can take a few knocks ; weather sealed so I can use it out in the rain or at fire scenes where I have to contend with smoke , steam , heat and water ; good low light performance as a lot of my work is at night ; faster AF ; FF and better viewfinder so I can use all my old manual K Mount lenses and see to focus them manually ; classic TTL support so I can use my existing Metz flashguns ( 70 MZ-5 , 54 MZ-4 , 45 CT-5 ) ; PC flash connection ; a choice of Li-ion rechargeables or AA for emergencies ; CF memory cards ( less fiddly than SD ) ; 5 FPS useful but not vital .

I'm happy to have a bigger , heavier camera as they tend to be easier to hold steady .

Price ? Don't want to pay more than I have to , but I'll pay the required price for the 'right' camera .

Meantime , I'm still using the *istD , MZ-S and LX .

07-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #35
Pentaxian

All of those are possibilities IMO except classic TTL which we'll never ever see again, unfortunately.
07-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #36

I'm pretty happy with my K10D right now, may skip the K20D, depending on how cheap it gets. The improvements I'm most interested in for a new camera are first and foremost, improved dynamic range and high-ISO performance, and better sustained FPS. I don't have a huge inventory of non-FF lenses, so if they need to go full-frame to get killer high ISO, it would be fine by me. I don't need hyper-fast FPS, I'd just like to see a moderate FPS that can be sustained for a greater number of shots.

I don't see any point to trying to go up into the megapixel stratosphere, especially when there are large gains to be made in dynamic range and high-ISO. Very few of us will be making mural-size enlargements.

In the big picture, as a longtime Pentax owner I'm just thankful that the company has managed to revitalize itself as a significant player in the burgeoning DSLR market. I do maintain a faint hope that they might eventually start making a film SLR again, unlikely as it may seem at the moment...
07-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
I want a K200D successor with pentaprism and K20D sensor. The AA support must stay and the body musn't get any bigger rather smaller like DS... <-drool
I'm 99% certain that you will be disappointed, I believe that the K200D will be the last AA (in-camera) powered body. The variable voltages from all the different AA battery systems is the challenge, it needs expensive and power wasting regulation circuits that a dedicated Li-Ion system doesn't need due to a defined and closer voltage range tolerance.

But I suspect that we will see more CMOS sensors from Samsung in other bodies, if for no other reason than to have Live View which seems de-rigeur in DSLR's now, unless they go in for a system similar to Sony's A-350 Live View, which I doubt.

Whether they will use the same sensor across the board with less body features or develop another sensor remains to be seen. My own take is that they will have a fast readout version of the current sensor to give higher frame rates and use the existing (or modified variant) one in lower models, together with body spec variations.

I think that AA's in grips may well become available, like they are with Nikon, as you can build regulators into the grip that control the feed voltage.

07-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just want a new body, the one I've got is over 59 years old and has mechanical problems with some of the articulated joints. And a better memory retrieval system would be dandy too.

NaCl(with a significantly slimmer profile)H2O
07-09-2008, 03:18 AM   #39

I would like to see two new things:-
A FF "version" of the K20 with a price tag of under £2000.
A 500mm like the Sigma F4.5 or Sigma to make AF available on the current 500mm (impossible I assume). I wouldnt actually buy the latter, but I just want something to lust after.
07-09-2008, 03:28 AM   #40

Andrew,

You can make a cold weather battery yourself if you're handy. I have an external rechargeable lithium cell that I originally bought for my Nikon Coolpix 950 that works a treat with my *istD. Just plug it into the AC socket.

I was a bit miffed when Pentax changed the socket shape on the K10D. Now I have to find suitable batteries and wire in a resistance circuit to ensure I don't cook the camera and find one of their odd fittings and buy a new AC adaptor.

What happened to backwards compatability?
07-09-2008, 04:34 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm no longer anxious about a new model. I recently got into Pentax film cameras (LX), BW photography and darkroom work (darkroom ready next winter). Consequently I have no time or money for a new model

Besides, I have the K10D to take care of digital needs.

Best regards,
Boucicaut
07-09-2008, 05:19 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dark_Mist Quote
Andrew,

You can make a cold weather battery yourself if you're handy. I have an external rechargeable lithium cell that I originally bought for my Nikon Coolpix 950 that works a treat with my *istD. Just plug it into the AC socket.
It's been tempting to that route....though I was thinking more about modifying the grip to accomplish the task. Before I attempt it though, I'll see whether or not I can get a cheap second-hand grip to play with

Cheers!
07-09-2008, 10:17 AM   #43
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I just want a new body, the one I've got is over 59 years old and has mechanical problems with some of the articulated joints. And a better memory retrieval system would be dandy too.

NaCl(with a significantly slimmer profile)H2O
Seconded!

Mine's a bit older at 63, been kinda okay up 'till recently but the fuel pump line now has a blockage and needs some new piping. Also I tend to back focus with near objects. Bodywork is also a bit worn in places!

BTW, I have some queries.
What's a memory?
Why do you need retrieving?
Are you lost?
Am I lost?
Who's lost?

What's the question again?
07-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #44

My bodywork , at 50 years old , is showing 'signs of use'
07-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Answers?

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
Seconded!

*snip*

BTW, I have some queries.
What's a memory?
Why do you need retrieving?
Are you lost?
Am I lost?
Who's lost?

What's the question again?
What is memory?----It's that thing that fails when you try to come up with the boss' wife's name.
Why do you need retrieving?----Because you don't look so dumb when you call the boss' wife "Martha" when her name is really Ophelia.
Am I lost?-----I don't know, I've forgotten where I am
Are you lost?----I don't know, do you know where you are?
Who's lost?----No, Who is not lost. Who is on first. (US Baseball joke)
What's the question again?---I don't know, can you repeat the last answer?

NaCl(How can you be in two places at once when you are not anywhere at all)H2O