Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,548
Actually, I rather like this. It might make putting the cap back on the lens with gloves on quite a bit easier.

02-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #17
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,462
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Actually, I rather like this. It might make putting the cap back on the lens with gloves on quite a bit easier.
Define "like", Jim? As in, more or less than a significant K3II upgrade?
02-10-2016, 04:11 PM   #18
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,548
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Define "like", Jim? As in, more or less than a significant K3II upgrade?
No, more like "What the heck. I'll add one of those to the cart before I click Check Out".
02-10-2016, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,378
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No, more like "What the heck. I'll add one of those to the cart before I click Check Out".
Or my lens costs $149 and I need $150 to get free shipping...

02-10-2016, 04:14 PM   #20
Pentaxian
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,038
If Ricoh implements this patent, the cap might prove to be a nifty innovation. How many of us have fiddled with caps - both older ones and modern? I certainly have. I'm keen on anything that advances user-friendliness.

- Craig
02-10-2016, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #21
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,462
I'd like to see this added to the 18-50 kit lens as standard...

Excerpt from manual:

To begin shooting, simply remove the lens cap by pinching the tabs, then pressing on the Pentax logo (which is also the lens cap release button); next, twist and push the lens barrel until it extends. Now use the zoom ring to select the required focal length, and wait patiently for the subject you wanted to capture to re-appear...

02-10-2016, 04:22 PM   #22
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,378
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
To begin shooting, simply remove the lens cap by pinching the tabs, then pressing on the Pentax logo (which is also the lens cap release button); next, twist and push the lens barrel until it extends. Now use the zoom ring to select the required focal length, and wait patiently for the subject you wanted to capture to re-appear...
I don't think you need to press the button to remove it, just to put it back on.
02-10-2016, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #23
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 49
Well...I didn't respond to the age poll yet but...when I was young and started photography at the age of 6 months, we never needed a stinkin' lens cap... we just went out and got shots, walking 30 km uphill (both ways), in a snowstorm with nothing but a candle-powered flash and a pin-hole camera, befriending wolves and forest creatures along the way...

02-10-2016, 04:23 PM   #24
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,462
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I don't think you need to press the button to remove it, just to put it back on.
Ah, right. I completely missed the USP for this product. Sheesh... I'm in!

---------- Post added 02-10-2016 at 11:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I don't think you need to press the button to remove it, just to put it back on.
Hang on a minute... I think you duped me...

QUOTE: "if you pinch the tabs in order to remove the lens cap, they stay in the pinched position until you'd press a release button (doubling as a manufacturer badge)."

Seems I was right about the Ricoh "Speedshooter" Lens-cap!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-10-2016 at 04:31 PM.
02-10-2016, 04:34 PM   #25
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,378
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hang on a minute... I think you duped me...

QUOTE: "if you pinch the tabs in order to remove the lens cap, they stay in the pinched position until you'd press a release button (doubling as a manufacturer badge)."

Seems I was right about the Ricoh "Speedshooter" Lens-cap!
This doesn't slow taking it off at all...
02-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #26
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,462
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
This doesn't slow taking it off at all...
Hmph... OK... Hang on, are you behind the design of this thing?!?
02-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #27
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,378
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hmph... OK... Hang on, are you behind the design of this thing?!?
Nope, I would never design something as stupid as this.
See my first post in the thread (post #2).

BTW stop editing your posts!
Each time I read them they are different
02-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #28
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 6,462
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Nope, I would never design something as stupid as this.
See my first post in the thread (post #2).

BTW stop editing your posts!
Each time I read them they are different
A classic example of "negative selling"
02-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,175
Didn't Ricoh also file a patent for a extra-large wide-angle rubber lens hood that came with a pinch-mount handle that made is usable as a plumber's helper (for traveling)?
02-10-2016, 07:15 PM   #30
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Middle of Siberia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 147
What about a PIN code protected lens cap?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
button, cap, lens, patent, pentax news, pentax rumors, press, ricoh
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A New 645 next yr.? Ricoh sensor patent 22codfish Pentax News and Rumors 10 02-07-2016 02:59 PM
Ricoh smartphone docking camera patent D1N0 Pentax News and Rumors 17 11-18-2015 07:58 PM
Ricoh lens patent and new q sensor? Belnan Pentax News and Rumors 28 11-15-2014 06:45 AM
New lens patent — Ricoh 2/24 for APS-C mirrorless Uluru Pentax News and Rumors 78 03-01-2014 10:00 AM
Impact resistant lens cap patent from Ricoh LFLee Pentax News and Rumors 15 05-25-2012 12:53 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:11 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top