Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I know it is updated, but do we really need another thread?

02-12-2016, 08:20 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
It depends on what they compare with when they say: "PENTAX’s 35mm full-frame digital SLR camera provides a shake reduction mechanism far more advanced than any previous mechanism".
Is it in any previous camera?, any previous DSLR?, any previous FF DSLR?, any previous Pentax DSLR?, or any previous Pentax FF DSLR? Or something else?
I'd say, compared to the K-3II's.
02-12-2016, 08:32 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends on what they compare with when they say: "PENTAX’s 35mm full-frame digital SLR camera provides a shake reduction mechanism far more advanced than any previous mechanism".
Is it in any previous camera?, any previous DSLR?, any previous FF DSLR?, any previous Pentax DSLR?, or any previous Pentax FF DSLR? Or something else?
It says "Pentax's 35mm full-frame digital SLR camera provides a Shake Reduction mechanism far more advanced than any previous mechanism . . ." I interpret that to mean more advanced than any previous Pentax SR - perhaps 5-axis.
02-12-2016, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It says "Pentax's 35mm full-frame digital SLR camera provides a Shake Reduction mechanism far more advanced than any previous mechanism . . ." I interpret that to mean more advanced than any previous Pentax SR - perhaps 5-axis.
I don't think 5-axis SR will be implemented. Older lenses do not have accurate focus distance info for this, and I don't think that has been improved on new D FA lenses either. And the extra 2 axis is basically a video feature that do not improve photography much (except for macro), so I don't think Ricoh put much priority on it.

If they indicate improvement over earlier Pentax SR mechanism, I would guess it means using higher resolution accelerometers for higher precision in the reading of the shake pattern, and also higher precision in regulating the motion of the sensor. It could also include more processing power and regulating power for quicker response on SR which would give better effectiveness on longer focal length (as hinted).

02-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope this means that the successor to the K3ii will inherit the improved SR and AF. And, I hope it is a very noticeable improvement.
02-12-2016, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What a weird series of teaser updates the last two have been - all about lenses that have already been released [hence no tease], little at all to do with the camera itself.
Yes a teaser without tease that's far more advanced than anybody expected.
I usualy don't like to critisize in advance but this teaser is becoming tedious. We already know the next issue will be about the 70/200mm. I thought they have big things to announce about their new camera, but I'm afraid they don't have that much to say after all. They have a new camera and they talk about lenses ? This temporisation doesn't seems a very good sign to me! After the presentation of the K-1, all the specs will be known and what could they announce to update their communication ?

I'm sorry about all those bad vibes I hope the following announcements will be more interesting!
02-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Something special with the viewfinder... hmmm...

Hey! I got it! A great rumor to start...

The prism top is removable like the old LX, and you can swap focus screens, swap in an optional electronic viewfinder, or optional waist level finder, or, a pasta maker! Whoops, nix that last one.

02-12-2016, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The SR system has better be way more advanced, otherwise it'd only be able to stabilize a sensor half as large

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

If they indicate improvement over earlier Pentax SR mechanism, I would guess it means using higher resolution accelerometers for higher precision in the reading of the shake pattern, and also higher precision in regulating the motion of the sensor.
This improvement was already made with the K-3 II, and was one of several key changes over the K-3. Are you sure they would update the accelerometers again?
02-13-2016, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bwDraco Quote
This improvement was already made with the K-3 II, and was one of several key changes over the K-3. Are you sure they would update the accelerometers again?

I think that Asahiman said a while ago that the entire unit is new.. so yes, it was updated if you compare it with the K3ii. I could be wrong but I recall that.
02-13-2016, 09:43 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regardless of any improvement it has to be a completely new unit. Sensor size is not the same so at the least it had to be redesigned to accommodate the larger, and heavier FF sensor. And it seems likely that since Ricoh has made such a point of mentioning the SR mechanism as technology they intended to leverage that they would continue to develop and improve it.
02-14-2016, 12:33 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
the SR mechanism as technology they intended to leverage that they would continue to develop and improve it.
Apart from anything else the inventive uses of that mechanism for other purposes (AA-simulator, astrotracer, auto levelling, pixel shift) is one of the Pentax USPs and playing to your strengths is never a bad strategy