Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #211
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I went over there just to see what was going on. Thankfully I couldn't find any of that. Though I don't look very hard.

02-13-2016, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #212
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Ok, I hope I am not brain dead but I think I contradict.
I wouldn't suspect "brain dead" but perhaps posting too late at night?

For flash the thing is to overpower the sun.
That's a secondary concern, though.

First one has to avoid overexposure due to the ambient light. Once one hits the sync-speed, the only standard camera-based options for avoiding overexposure are decreasing ISO or stopping down the aperture.

Often one does not want to stop down the aperture since a shallow DOF aesthetic is aimed at or too high an f-ratio would have undesired diffraction related effects.

Lowering iso or aperture doesn't help here, lowering shutter does.
I don't understand what you intend to achieve by lowering the shutter speed. In my application scenario, the sync-speed is an upper limit one would like to break, i.e., one would like to increase the shutter speed but cannot (unless one resorts to HSS).

Where it does help though is with shallow DoF at sync speed and at sun light.
Yes, that's the main application I was referring to.

For this purpose, a built-in ND filter option would do the same trick, as one really does not need more DR, just an option to deal with an oversupply of photons (without stopping down). Using ND filters on lenses -- instead of a camera-based one -- is of course an option but there are many practical issues associated with their use.
02-13-2016, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The pitbulls that lurk around here with nothing better to do have now latched onto AF as the punching bag.

Hey!
I thought its a bit warmer already outdoors.
Time to go out and take more photos instead of playing armchair photo theorist.
02-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #214
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I went over there just to see what was going on. Thankfully I couldn't find any of that. Though I don't look very hard.
Just read my summary then, I saved you a lot of time

02-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I don't usually visit DPR but I thought I would see if they were posting anything about the k-1.
Here is a somewhat humorous summary from DPR:
1) Sensor is 4 year old tech, so no point in buying this camera
2) AF has only 33 AF points, not really worth using a camera this primitive
3) No joystick for changing AF point so a waste of time to get this camera
4) ISO 100 as lowest setting, not worth buying for taking real pictures
5) 925gm is too heavy for a modern camera
6) Nikon 820 is coming soon so why bother with this camera
7) Adjustable LCD cannot be folded back against the camera so it will get all scratched up
8) The LCD will be the weak point of the camera, all complaints will be about it
9) K-1 will be 24mp sensor because if it was 36 or 42mp then the crop mode would eliminate the need for APS-C cameras
10) Since Pentax is bringing out a 28-105 lens it means this camera will not target pros, only amateurs
11) Canon 5dII has all this for years, why is Pentax bothering

To be fair there are lots of good comments, and I just pulled out of context the ones that struck my eye. (Intended for humor only)
Well most of the remarks look silly to me, honestly but at least that fun to read
02-13-2016, 07:55 PM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Well, since for each line, there are actually two sensels, you can multiply by 2 once more. That would be 132 sensels for the K1 and 540 for the D500, whatever. Nicolas aime bien noyer le poisson.
Non Nicolas aime bien qu'on attende de voir les performances effectives sur le terain pour un quelque chose d'aussi difficile à évaluer que l'AF. D'autant plus quand cette spec est rien de plus qu'une rumeur.

No, Nicolas like we wait for actual performance in the field for something that is so difficult to evaluate from a spec sheet. Futhermore when theses specs are only rumors.

I wonder how much progress could we expect from 150+ sensors instead of 51? 3X better AF but what would it mean. 3 time faster? Certainly not. 3 time more accurate? Not likely... Canikon AF isn't more precise at all. it just work better in AF-C.

Well we have no idea what it means really. That's my point. We should not buy spec sheets but things that actually bring value.

The problem Nikon has for me is that their AF is already so good that there no need for more really. But this will not sell cameras. People already understand that: sales of camera are going down.

But on the contrary, FF is a new market for Pentax, and there will be many K-mount loverd to buy this thing and benefit of the great Pentax thing like build quality, SR, bright view finder, great lenses like the FA ltds...
02-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #217
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Honestly I'd like to see ISO 50 because I do want all that delicious dynamic range and sharpness, and yes, landscapes are my favorite.

02-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #218
mee
Veteran Member

Plus with it being (relatively) cheap enough, it might find buyers who are interested in a FF DSLR camera but are not so partisan with the brand of camera they use.

This and a couple (fairly cheap) primes.. whamo.. you got yourself a potent portrait prospect.
Bargain hunters and old timers will, of course, not pass on the old glass.
This and a D-FA 100mm macro makes for a spectacular small-item shoot.

So one doesn't have to break the bank entirely through buying expendy new, fast zooms. Though, I further suspect, Ricoh really really wants you to. :c )
02-13-2016, 08:54 PM   #219
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To be honest I have FF covered from 12 to 450mm, more if you count my 1.4 and 1.7. I have no worries on lenses unless we see a cheaper 600 mm lens released somewhere.
02-13-2016, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thursday .....
02-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fontan Quote
thursday .....
2/18/2016?
02-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

Small, but fat
I really like this part.. hehe you mean chubby?
02-13-2016, 09:04 PM - 1 Like   #223
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starjedi Quote
2/18/2016?
That is the rumored rumor from rumorsville. Then, if that day comes and passes with no official news, there will be lots of panicked running in circles with arms flailing and fetal position corner hiding.. then the rumor of maybe 'Friday' .. wash/rinse/repeat.
02-13-2016, 09:21 PM - 2 Likes   #224
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For all the crabbing about Pentax autofocus...most of the Canikon users I've met complain about theirs as well. And let me tell you that I see a lot of out of focus shots from my colleagues; mostly they push below f/2.2 to get DoF but...that Canon or Nikon AF ain't perfect either. In fact, by refining my technique, using live view when necessary, and relaxing my f stops to f/2.8 and f/3.2 (with the help of flash), my shots are consistently the sharpest with the best focus of my colleagues. But I also double and triple check focus until I'm happy.

For what it's worth, it's all in the technique.
02-13-2016, 09:33 PM   #225
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
For all the crabbing about Pentax autofocus...most of the Canikon users I've met complain about theirs as well. And let me tell you that I see a lot of out of focus shots from my colleagues; mostly they push below f/2.2 to get DoF but...that Canon or Nikon AF ain't perfect either. In fact, by refining my technique, using live view when necessary, and relaxing my f stops to f/2.8 and f/3.2 (with the help of flash), my shots are consistently the sharpest with the best focus of my colleagues. But I also double and triple check focus until I'm happy.

For what it's worth, it's all in the technique.
That is something I've noticed too, but with your 'relaxed' apertures. Going from kit lens and cheap zooms to faster zooms and even faster primes -- one's technique may need to improve. That is to say, An aperture of f/4 or f/5.6 means you can get away with getting in the 'ballpark' of where your focus point needs to be versus f/1.8 or even f/2.8.

It also means it is more critical for your lens and camera to be adjusted for AF front or back focusing than they would otherwise.

There is another level of exactness that happens all around it seems when switching from slow to fast lenses than just getting more light and nicer bokeh.