Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #331
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Pentax is nowhere near Nikon on AF yet..but slowly getting there
Then they'll still need to take big strides because Nikon is not sitting still.

02-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #332
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Then they'll still need to take big strides because Nikon is not sitting still.
I'm hoping a two generation improvement. That 6 month delay is a substantial amount of time to wring the most out of a hardware design.
02-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #333
Veteran Member

Pentax is nowhere near Nikon on AF yet..but slowly getting there
They are already there in the AF-S mode, definitely not there in the AF-C.
02-14-2016, 03:02 PM   #334
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Unless you didn't do anything else, it would probably mean the bubbles were swirling all around you, and you never get to see what any of them are.

It's an odd belief that sticking to one brand will necessarily isolate you from knowledge or recognition of the positive values of others, although there are no doubt some people who are so one-eyed that they become fanatical about the object of their admiration. Even the most diehard sports team follower will generally acknowledge skill and talent on the other side.
Maybe yes, maybe no. I bought my first Pentax SLR in 1979. I switched to Canon in 1995, because I was sold on the in-lens motor focusing system. Over time, both Nikon, and then even Pentax eventually, have switched to that method. However, many regulars here seem to still fear that technology, to still think that in-body focusing motor is the best way to go, despite the evidence of Nikon and Pentax moving away from it. I am guessing that most of the holdouts have never used a Canon system.

note: after twenty years of being a Canon user, I switched back to Pentax last summer because I became convinced that Pentax bodies are better, and because Pentax is finally providing DC lenses. Although my signature image shows my K-30 with the screw-drive lens it was kitted with, my regular lens is the 18-135mm DC lens that I purchased shortly after getting the camera. The other two regular lenses in my bag are screw-drive (a Sigma 10-20mm and a Pentax 55-300mm), only because I couldn't find any reasonable alternatives to them.

02-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #335
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Maybe yes, maybe no. I bought my first Pentax SLR in 1979. I switched to Canon in 1995, because I was sold on the in-lens motor focusing system. Over time, both Nikon, and then even Pentax eventually, have switched to that method. However, many regulars here seem to still fear that technology, to still think that in-body focusing motor is the best way to go, despite the evidence of Nikon and Pentax moving away from it. I am guessing that most of the holdouts have never used a Canon system.

note: after twenty years of being a Canon user, I switched back to Pentax last summer because I became convinced that Pentax bodies are better, and because Pentax is finally providing DC lenses. Although my signature image shows my K-30 with the screw-drive lens it was kitted with, my regular lens is the 18-135mm DC lens that I purchased shortly after getting the camera. The other two regular lenses in my bag are screw-drive (a Sigma 10-20mm and a Pentax 55-300mm), only because I couldn't find any reasonable alternatives to them.
SDM certainly has proven the doubters right in the past. Being slower than screw drive and prone to breaking down, rendering the lens useless.
02-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #336
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
They are already there in the AF-S mode, definitely not there in the AF-C.
Yes..I was talking about AF-C..should have written that in the post
02-14-2016, 03:15 PM   #337
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
SDM certainly has proven the doubters right in the past. Being slower than screw drive and prone to breaking down, rendering the lens useless.
I guess it has taken Pentax a while to get it right. On the other hand, I had two Canon Rebel bodies die on me, but the kitted lenses (despite their plastic mounts) would still be ready to go if I just had an appropriate body to mount them on. The lens kitted with my 1995 film Canon was still working regularly for me ... until an embarrassing incident when I tripped over a root and watched that lens roll out of my unzipped camera bag (I had just switched that lens out for a longer lens) and down a very long slope; I hope the squirrels find a use for it. My real disappointment is with Sigma - I had the EF-mount version of the 10-20mm lens, and it was just as reliable as the Canon lenses. I wish they would make a K-mount version of that system, instead of the screw-drive version they sold to me (perhaps this lens design preceded the KAF3 mount?)

02-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #338
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I'm asking whether my memory serves me well, in response to rawr's post, that Pentax has declared they place the highest importance on AF.
You are not dreaming. I remember that statement as well. I believe it was in one of the PF interviews.
02-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #339
Veteran Member

Do we know if it will take the same battery and charger as the K-3?
02-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #340
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
It was rumored... Some of the more knowledgeable members seemed confident that it would be so.

I know I would definitely like that.
02-14-2016, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #341
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I hope it does. They used the same battery in the 645Z, so why not the K-1 too. makes things simpler for Pentax owners.

I think it's also one less product line to initiate, one less set of suppliers to line up, one less set of govt safety and electrical certifications to pass etc, so it would make things simpler for Ricoh to stick with D-LI90.
02-14-2016, 10:23 PM   #342
Pentaxian

I wish they would make a K-mount version of that system, instead of the screw-drive version they sold to me (perhaps this lens design preceded the KAF3 mount?)
The Sigma 10-20/3.5 in K-mount has an HSM motor.
Only the variable aperture Sigma 10-20/4-5.6 has screw-drive AF.
02-14-2016, 10:35 PM   #343
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes..I was talking about AF-C..should have written that in the post
Yes but are you refering to the exsisting AF-C or what is coming in the K-1?
02-14-2016, 11:07 PM   #344
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe yes, maybe no.
I agree. That's why I used the word "necessarily".
02-14-2016, 11:25 PM - 1 Like   #345
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I hope it does. They used the same battery in the 645Z, so why not the K-1 too. makes things simpler for Pentax owners.

I think it's also one less product line to initiate, one less set of suppliers to line up, one less set of govt safety and electrical certifications to pass etc, so it would make things simpler for Ricoh to stick with D-LI90.
Well it's time to have a new battery tho. Compare to D500 which can shoot around 1400 shots with one battery, Pentax should make a new version.