Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 211 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 11:45 PM   #346
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
Well it's time to have a new battery tho. Compare to D500 which can shoot around 1400 shots with one battery, Pentax should make a new version.
Agree, a new battery with more than 7.2v, capable to move faster a SDM or a more powerful screw motor, or a more demanding cpu for video

02-15-2016, 12:00 AM   #347
Veteran Member

Well it's time to have a new battery tho. Compare to D500 which can shoot around 1400 shots with one battery, Pentax should make a new version.
Agree, the 900+ picture of K5 were good but the 700+ of K3 started to be a bit low. If changing the battery would significantlu increase autonomy and/or allow for some more features, that would be a plus for me. I don't want the K1 or other future camera to be limited to 500+ pictures.

Anyway, there always 1 batterie included with the camera and an buying another one from a third party is like 15-20$. If it allow me to get 2500 pictures instead of 1500 with 2 batteries, I am all for it.
02-15-2016, 12:06 AM   #348
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
For the money I own 2 K-3s, or 3 for the price of the D810.

In the same price range the D7100 was about the same with better lenses. The D7200 is better than the K3ii.

I'll buy this for better AF, and I suspect it will be very good.

What we will hear is how it just isn't as good as Nikon or Canon bodies costing twice as much.

Here is what I'm looking for:

Fast and precise af including tracking.
D810ish range of IQ.
All the function that I want exposed via wifi. The flu worked but you couldn't do a fast burst of shots. Nor other exposure modes that benefit from remote operation. Bulb for example.
The pttl delay gone.

Those are things that I work around and would open opportunities for shots. The rest is gravy.
You'll not get D810 FF quality level for the price of K3 or D7200 new, not before a few years at least. You can get the AF with the D7200 and maybe the successor to K3-II. But if you take a D7200 you get lower build quality, no SR, lower frame rate, bigger body too. i don't care much of the fps difference but SR is a huge feature for me, in many occasions it really help.
02-15-2016, 12:33 AM   #349
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Exactly..step by step..FF one is much better then K-3 and the next one will be better..and so on
I concur with incremental progress, particularly given that major advances cost more, and we can just imagine the outcry at the resultant price hike!

02-15-2016, 12:47 AM   #350

Pentax is nowhere near Nikon on AF yet..but slowly getting there
@KENSPO
Why didn't you say so clearly 500 posts ago! Discussions of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin have been known to be more fruitful
02-15-2016, 01:21 AM   #351
Veteran Member

@RobA_Oz Its a fine line between cost and development. No point in deliver the best beast if no one can afford it.

@eyeswideshut Sorry..will try to say everything in first post in the future :P hehe
02-15-2016, 01:37 AM   #352
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I've heard that K-1 has absolutely new AF modules with 50+ AF points...
I think it will be 33. Say 33 !

02-15-2016, 01:56 AM   #353
OTH

Pentax is nowhere near Nikon on AF yet..but slowly getting there
That's really sad. You did so much rumors that the AF will be so fantastic and superior and now you're telling us that it cannot compete even with Nikon. After realizing that the new 35mm has just the old-fashioned D810 sensor and not the modern BSI-generation i really expected that Pentax will make a lot of improvements at the AF-system like focus-tracking and eye-detection that's imo state-of-the-art at a pro-system and now you tell us that it even cannot compete with an ordinary Nikon ?
Go on with your rumors, but don't expect that i trust even one more word
02-15-2016, 02:01 AM   #354
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I think it will be 33. Say 33 !
add 17 invisible points

it was rumor and nothing else
02-15-2016, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #355
Veteran Member

Compare to D500 which can shoot around 1400 shots with one battery, Pentax should make a new version.
Why? Nikon has kept the same EN-EL15 lithium ion battery in lots of bodies for years, including the new D500.

Nikon cameras that use the EN-EL15 include:
D7000, D7100, D7200, D500, and the D600, D610, D750 D800, D800E, D810.

The energy efficiency of the electronics in cameras like the D500 is what has improved over time. No need for new batteries for Nikon! The same might apply to the K-1.
02-15-2016, 02:07 AM - 8 Likes   #356
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OTH Quote
That's really sad. You did so much rumors that the AF will be so fantastic and superior and now you're telling us that it cannot compete even with Nikon. After realizing that the new 35mm has just the old-fashioned D810 sensor and not the modern BSI-generation i really expected that Pentax will make a lot of improvements at the AF-system like focus-tracking and eye-detection that's imo state-of-the-art at a pro-system and now you tell us that it even cannot compete with an ordinary Nikon ?
Go troll somewhere else..zZzZz

Last edited by kenspo; 02-15-2016 at 02:28 AM.
02-15-2016, 02:13 AM   #357
Pentaxian

I wonder what they have done with the SR system.
Have they done something more than adjusting the hardware to allow for a larger sensor?
Perhaps adding springs to lower power consumption? Or a hardware lock that fixes the sensor mechanically in a central position when not using SR would be neat. That would seriously lower the power consumption when doing long exposures.
02-15-2016, 02:27 AM   #358
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
adjusting the hardware to allow for a larger sensor?
That alone is a major feat. The mass to move around quickly has more than doubled, probably x3. And in order to gain the same results the maximum shifting also must be greater, so that drives up the need for momentum even more.

It's incredibly easier to stabilize an tiny mFT sensor compared to a 36x24mm one.

I'll be positively surprised if they manage to keep the astounding K-3II level with such a mass to accelerate.
02-15-2016, 02:37 AM - 1 Like   #359
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OTH Quote
Man:
- first Nikon has the best AF implementation available worldwide, it is not ordinary. But only in the flagships models of course.
- kenspo never compared the AF to Nikon, he said it would be better than previous Pentax AF and if I got right, significantly so.

My personal understanding is the AF improvement will be like K5 => K3 AF change did for AF-S but this time for AF-C.. My understanding is we will get a solid tracking/predicting AF implementation, likely enougth for most DSLR users. Your are like a guy that complain his next car will not be be a Formula 1 but a porshe with only 300 horsepowers to buy the bread every morning.

If you really need the best AF ever, well that's a a Nikon D5 and if I understood it right it would cost near the price of a 645Z. That make sense only for professionals of action shooting and mostly useless for all others users.
02-15-2016, 02:52 AM - 1 Like   #360
Veteran Member

Kenpo, at this moment Nikon has 3 flagships: D5 for sports, D500 for APS-C , D810 for resolution. On wich one did you refer when you spoke about Pentax Af?

And what's with your attitude? You're Ricoh ambassador, not just a simple member on this forum. At least for this reason you should be more professional with your language. I mean, you can ignore some comments if you think they are inappropriate (from your point of view) but you don't have to be rude to no one. After all it is a forum and people will continue to comment here long after the release of the full frame (and they will say good things or bad things about Pentax, it's just the way it is).

By the way, each and every person have different needs when comes to cameras so you don't expect that Pentax full frame will cover all this needs, do you?.

It is a big week for Ricoh/Pentax, don't ruin it with your attitude and your language.

Nicolas 06, take a look at this photo from february 2016. If Nikon D4s and the upcoming D5 have the best Af ever, why 6 out of 7 photographers from this photo are shooting with Canon?

Actually Kenpo did say that Af will not be near Nikon's Af. Which Nikon camera he referred to? We don't know yet, we just know he reffered to the flagship from Nikon.