Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 11:33 PM   #541
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Saville Quote
1.) I'll definitely be testing the K-1 in as terrible light as I can possibly find, at weddings, with both the new 24-70 2.8 and hopefully as many classic Limited primes as I can get my hands on, certainly the 31 1.8 and 77 1.8.

Because for me, shooting with a lightweight kit using tiny yet powerful primes is the name of the game with 12-14 hour work days.

2.) The multi-point groupings are becoming very common in Canon and Nikon these days, with the D5 and D500 proving that no, you can never have "too many" AF points.

What I suspect will be the future of both on-sensor hybrid AF, and off-sensor PDAF, will be clusters of smaller AF points, maybe a 2x2 grid, or a 3x3 grid, such as Nikon and Canon are currently implementing in their 51 / 61 point AF systems, and now in Nikon's new 153 AF point module.

Honestly, half the time I really only "need" 9-12 AF points to be actually selectable. Beyond that, moving the focus point around the viewfinder more precisely becomes more of a chore than a tool. However, using multi-point clusters, and point-skipping options, could be a huge thing for the future.
What do you expect in practice from multi point cluster instead of a sngle AF point in your own practice?

02-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #542

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
What do you expect in practice from multi point cluster instead of a sngle AF point in your own practice?
I've been using Nikon's 51 point Af system for quite a while now, and their latest iterations, the D800 series, D810 series, and D750 series, all have amazing capabilities in low light when using 5-point (cross shape pattern) and 9-point (3x3 grid) AF modes. I'm not yet 100% done with specific testing of specific modes, but I feel like the group AF point modes are indeed better at acquiring and locking focus in those near-impossible conditions, with or without an AF assist beam, in both single and continuous focus environments.

I imagine that a 2x2 cluster of cross-type or alternating directional AF points could offer incredible acquisition and precision abilities.

We'll have to wait and see how much the new Nikon D5 / D500 "raise the bar", if at all, and how the K-1 performs by comparison. Either way, I plan on putting the K-1 through some serious testing at weddings, asap.