Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 07:54 AM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Let's hope we're not seeing everything
We may not be seeing everything.

Each of those 33 dots shown on the rear display could represent the centre of a 4-point 'AF zone', for all we know.

Plus there was that intriguing patent work of Ricoh we saw reported on a while ago which did something clever to expand out the AF point coverage in a camera. That might be at work in the K-1 too.

So I suspect we still need to wait a bit longer to get the full story on the K-1 AF.

02-13-2016, 07:55 AM   #122
Veteran Member

this is getting better and better... like christmas in february!!! Cant wait...
(Even so I don't really get the choice of photos they upload on their full frame blog

Autofocus points. Just my $0,02 I barely use more than 5. So I don't need 33 but I think its a kinda must have to stay competitive!?
02-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #123
Pentaxian

interesting - so what are the reasons why they wouldn't? (not unlimited, obviously, but a figure which gives confidence to people worried about Pentax AF and into big numbers)
I have no idea. There must be some optical and practical limitations.

The one thing that is pure logic though is that smaller AF points automatically are more slow and unreliable with than larger ones (they have less pixel data to compare).
On some Canons you can choose one of two sizes and the manual is very explicit on the down side of the small version.
QuoteQuote:
spot AF is better suited to stationary subjects than fast-moving subjects. Spot AF may also take longer to achieve focus than other AF area selection modes, especially if you place the Spot AF point on an area that lacks detail or is low in contrast.
02-13-2016, 08:17 AM   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i5_david Quote
So I don't need 33 but I think its a kinda must have to stay competitive!?
Yes, AF needs to look competitive when people make comparisons with, for eg, D810.
Most people don't really know how AF works, but the number of AF points is a simple metric most comparison shoppers/YouTube 'reviewers' can understand.

02-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The one thing that is pure logic though is that smaller AF points automatically are more slow and unreliable with than larger ones (they have less pixel data to compare).
Please shoot me down if this is non-sense - I'm just a simple tog, not an engineer of any sort - but would that imply that there is to some extent a trade-off between tracking ability and AF accuracy - for instance the Nikon array of 153 points in the D/5 - and more so in the APS-C D500, might sacrifice some precision for their ability to follow moving objects - or can that be corrected with more powerful computing?
02-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #126
Pentaxian

for their ability to follow moving objects
Remember with Nikon, Pentax and Canon, the colour metering sensor also plays a vital role in subject tracking (eg Nikon's '3D-tracking'). It's not just the AF module alone doing all the work with AF-C tracking.
02-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #127
Pentaxian

Please shoot me down if this is non-sense - I'm just a simple tog, not an engineer of any sort - but would that imply that there is to some extent a trade-off between tracking ability and AF accuracy - for instance the Nikon array of 153 points in the D/5 - and more so in the APS-C D500, might sacrifice some precision for their ability to follow moving objects - or can that be corrected with more powerful computing?
Well, the manual I quoted is for the Canon 1DX and I am quite sure Canon knows autofocus well enough to have a good reason to say it. The 1DX also isn't a camera where there is a lack of computing power.

I think it is quite logical that small AF sensors have more trouble making the right decisions. They work by comparing two grey pixel-lines with only so many pixels and trying to compute how much they are shifted against each other.
In low contrast scenarios it's obviously not beneficial to cut the pixel line shorter and to have even fewer contrast data pixels available.

---------- Post added 13th Feb 2016 at 16:31 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Remember with Nikon, Pentax and Canon, the colour metering sensor also plays a vital role in subject tracking (eg Nikon's '3D-tracking'). It's not just the AF module alone doing all the work with AF-C tracking.
The AF module is the only thing that can "track" the z-axis (that is things coming to you or running away). The metering sensor is only good for x- and y-axis tracking (where the AF sensors are badly limited).
02-13-2016, 08:31 AM   #128
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I think we're looking at big improvement for the latest generation of sensors.

- The Nikon D5 at FF is: ISO 100-102400 (expandable to 50-3280000)
- The Nikon D500 at APS-C is: ISO 100 - 51200 (expandable to 50-1640000)
- The Pentax K-1 is: 100-204800 (not clear whether this is expanded)
Exactly my point.

If Nikon is doing a lesser range in their top tier D5 with only a 21ish MP sensor, do you really think Pentax is doing more natively with a 36MP sensor for a third of the price? The d810 doesn't even hit those numbers and the K-1 more closely models that camera body.

02-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #129
Pentaxian

I am hearing that the release is as early as next week - will see about dat . . . .
02-13-2016, 09:14 AM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I am hearing that the release is as early as next week - will see about dat . . . .
On Thursday the 18th for instance?
02-13-2016, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #131

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Nothing to complain about?
This is an internet forum....
You know, this reminds me of when charlie sheen came out with being HIV positive and the Internet flooded with

"Stay positive charlie"

See, the Internet can be humane and caring at times...
02-13-2016, 10:03 AM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi man Quote
Nope,till today i have no confirmed information about the new AF System.
Only that the complete processor speed is much faster against the K-3.
Should be the same step like K-5II ~K-3.
I don't know if this is the right way to calculate processor speed, but K-5II processes 16 Mp images at 7,0 fps, while the K-3 processes 24 Mp images at 8,3 fps. Thats a 78% increase in Mp/s. If K-1 gets 36 Mp, that would mean approximately 10 fps.

---------- Post added 02-13-16 at 06:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
QuoteQuote:
small but fat
must be the the movable LCD's doing. But anyway, it looks great!
It't looks like two factors making it fat. If you look right under the GPS button there is a marking of where the sensor plane is. The back end looks quite fat due to both the screen and the long view finder. The front end looks fat because of the large prism and the slightly shorter grip. All this points towards a large view finder.
02-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #133

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I don't know if this is the right way to calculate processor speed, but K-5II processes 16 Mp images at 7,0 fps, while the K-3 processes 24 Mp images at 8,3 fps. Thats a 78% increase in Mp/s. If K-1 gets 36 Mp, that would mean approximately 10 fps.
The rumored specs say 6,5 per second and that has to be at 36mpix and the difference in mpix between the ff and aps-c at 36/2.25 would mean a theoretical 6,5*2,25 images... But we have to add the sensor into this aswell and it will probably choke earlier, no way to tell until we get full specs or hands on. Would be suuuuuuuoer sweet to have something like 12fps to take on nikon and canons latest monsters
02-13-2016, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
The rumored specs say 6,5 per second and that has to be at 36mpix and the difference in mpix between the ff and aps-c at 36/2.25 would mean a theoretical 6,5*2,25 images... (...)
Would you care to explain why '2436 Mpix' would take 2.25 more time to be processed than 'APS-C Mpix'?
02-13-2016, 10:44 AM   #135

The AF points question is not about big numbers, is about AF.C, and how every pro in the world need this tracking AF work at least fine. Moving brides, heavy metal guitarist, athletes, etc...any kind of pro handheld photography, needs a superb tracking AF system (as Canikon has).

K3 can make things like this, but not in tracking mode, just anticipating the moment and been fast...

https://scontent-gru2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/11109210_10206637...57&oe=576AFAB8

Sorry for my english