Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 02:34 PM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Camera is not even out yet..Most of you dont even know what is the correct info and specs..Still there is whining and complaining. Want to bang my head into the wall!
:-) ah ah so true. AF is an interesting topic.

02-13-2016, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #167
Veteran Member

Here you go @kenspo
02-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
On Thursday the 18th for instance?
Hahahaha - how did u know??
02-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #169
Veteran Member

Hehe..thank you! Just so frustrating, when we're close to finally bring home the biggest thing in Pentax history for ages, and still its not enough for some people.

02-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #170
Forum Member

Camera is not even out yet..Most of you dont even know what is the correct info and specs..Still there is whining and complaining. Want to bang my head into the wall!
my chemistry teacher said this once after sb. gave a dumb answer, he looked as if he was really suffering that time. So I feel with you

On the other hand you have to understand. We are like kids at christmas, guessing what might be in the beautiful presents we see - our present is this beauty of a cam with unknown specs
02-13-2016, 02:40 PM   #171
Veteran Member

Hehe..thank you! Just so frustrating, when we're close to finally bring home the biggest thing in Pentax history for ages, and still its not enough for some people.
After you smash your head a few times, I think I should take care of your gear so you don't damage it now that you have a headache...
02-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yep, you can always turn things in a positive way or whatever way you like it to be, I can also do it. But you missed my point. Please look at the frame coverage of the AF modules of Canon and Nikon both on APSC and FF and you'll see that every-time, the AF zone is relatively smaller on FF than APSC. Same observation if you compare the K-3 and 645z, you'll see that while you can do tracking across the frame with the K-3, you can't do the same with a 645z. So, 33 points AF on a FF , means that either the space between points is fairly large (less refined tracking information), or the AF tracking area is limited in the center which work only with subject in the middle of the frame. You explanation that 33 cross types points equals 66 points might be true from the electronic/software implementation, but completely wrong regarding how the AF area is used for tracking and actually taking photos.
This really depend of the size of your sensors. K5 sensors were big, they covered the same area the K3 27 sensors are covering but with 9 cross, 2 lines, instead of 25 croiss, 2 lines. Indeed if pentax has decided to reuse the hardware of the K5-IIs AF sensor that are much bigger than K3 one they could get 33 sensor and cover the same area.

There the number of sensor, their efficiancy and performance and their size. You can play on all parameters.

i don't try anyway to make thing appear good. Pentax could have 10 time more sensors than Nikon, they would still need the software. As this is niche there may not be possibility to buy software that would work better or as well as what Nikon has today. The only possibility may be to get a team of talented people work on the subject for a few years.

If Pentax manage to make a better software they may very win the AF war in the end. They may not be interrested at all and i don't know if it is a battle worth it as long as you are good enough.

What I say is that if you want to know for sure the AF performance of the K1, you need to test it extensively. The spec sheet is just marketing buzz words put together. Comparing them trying to get an accurate view of the actual performance is a bit complicated.

02-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #173
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just wait until it does come out!
Remember the ovation (Not!!) that greeted the K-3ii??
02-13-2016, 02:42 PM   #174

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You're telling me Canon or Nikon Tracking AF versus current Pentax (and whatever the improved Pentax Tracking AF is) makes enough of a difference to a professional wedding photographer that the gear really matters, then? A pro cannot do the work with a Pentax?

You can do the work with a stenopeic box if you have to!! lol. But yes, my partner uses Nikon, and he is a lot more efficient in his numbers. Even worst, when I use he's D610 (D7100 AF sistem, not full coverage, but very fast) I have more pictures in the final selection. For example, if I use the Nikon, I have 500 photos of 3500 taken, and with the K3 I have 380 or 400. If THE photo was in those 100...."te vas a querer cortar las pelotas" (that meaning you will want to castrate youtself, not in spanish, but argentinean, lol).

Dont misundertand me, I love the K3, and I love Pentax. I just say that AF and AF.C is the principal aspect that handheld photography pros need.

This is the best picture of a burst of 12. She was DANCING alone of happiness, under my softbox, my partner was away, and I have the 70-200 with me...and I fail. AF.C would do the trick IMHO.

But I really trust K1 wil have an amazing AF. I can feel it!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-13-2016, 02:43 PM   #175
Pentaxian

Ken, keep kool, we need you

I usually dont read more than 20 lines quoted posts.
My synthetic and lazy mind doesn't cope
02-13-2016, 02:43 PM - 6 Likes   #176
Pentaxian

Frankly, I have double facepalmed so often while reading posts in this news & rumors section, that my hands are fused to my face. No matter the day, it's always Groundhog Day here.
02-13-2016, 02:44 PM - 2 Likes   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Frankly, I have double facepalmed so often while reading posts in this news & rumors section, that my hands are fused to my face. No matter the day, it's always Groundhog Day here.
At least you aren't him:
02-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #178

Totally agree. So few leaked details is known, none played with the camera but the K-1 is already better or worse than this or that? Come on people... It is not only some numbers that decide if camera is good or bad. Let the camera be released and wait for first reviews.
02-13-2016, 02:51 PM   #179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
This really depend of the size of your sensors. K5 sensors were big, they covered the same area the K3 27 sensors are covering but with 9 cross, 2 lines, instead of 25 croiss, 2 lines. Indeed if pentax has decided to reuse the hardware of the K5-IIs AF sensor that are much bigger than K3 one they could get 33 sensor and cover the same area. There the number of sensor, their efficiancy and performance and their size. You can play on all parameters. i don't try anyway to make thing appear good. Pentax could have 10 time more sensors than Nikon, they would still need the software. As this is niche there may not be possibility to buy software that would work better or as well as what Nikon has today. The only possibility may be to get a team of talented people work on the subject for a few years. If Pentax manage to make a better software they may very win the AF war in the end. They may not be interrested at all and i don't know if it is a battle worth it as long as you are good enough. What I say is that if you want to know for sure the AF performance of the K1, you need to test it extensively. The spec sheet is just marketing buzz words put together. Comparing them trying to get an accurate view of the actual performance is a bit complicated.
So, what was the goal in this explanation ? Conclusion (in short)? It depends? Ok I agree the K-1 AF will not be like the K-3 AF.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-13-2016 at 03:07 PM.
02-13-2016, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #180
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is only one person complaining and he's making #%*+ up, then complaining about it.

There's a setting that works well in such cases.