Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 211 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 09:46 PM   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
but at least that fun to read
And that was the point, just a bit of fun.

02-13-2016, 10:13 PM   #227
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I don't usually visit DPR but I thought I would see if they were posting anything about the k-1.
Here is a somewhat humorous summary from DPR:
1) Sensor is 4 year old tech, so no point in buying this camera
2) AF has only 33 AF points, not really worth using a camera this primitive
3) No joystick for changing AF point so a waste of time to get this camera
4) ISO 100 as lowest setting, not worth buying for taking real pictures
5) 925gm is too heavy for a modern camera
6) Nikon 820 is coming soon so why bother with this camera
7) Adjustable LCD cannot be folded back against the camera so it will get all scratched up
8) The LCD will be the weak point of the camera, all complaints will be about it
9) K-1 will be 24mp sensor because if it was 36 or 42mp then the crop mode would eliminate the need for APS-C cameras
10) Since Pentax is bringing out a 28-105 lens it means this camera will not target pros, only amateurs
11) Canon 5dII has all this for years, why is Pentax bothering

To be fair there are lots of good comments, and I just pulled out of context the ones that struck my eye. (Intended for humor only)
number 8 and 9 are mine!!!
02-13-2016, 10:29 PM   #228
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
number 8 and 9 are mine!!!
Thank you for your contribution!

I can only imagine what the comments will be once there is an actual camera to touch.....................
02-13-2016, 10:52 PM   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Thank you for your contribution!

I can only imagine what the comments will be once there is an actual camera to touch.....................
dont worry!!
pentax on my heart and this k1 will be treated like my first son

02-14-2016, 12:31 AM   #230
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Honestly I'd like to see ISO 50 because I do want all that delicious dynamic range and sharpness, and yes, landscapes are my favorite.
You can do ISO 25 yourself if you like: stack multpiles shots and you can pul lthe shadows as much as from the 645z. I've done it and I promise you, zoomed in at 100%, you can't see any noise, images are very clean. Now, if you consider having more DR, having more DR with lowering ISO is not fundamentally an improvement because you need a tripod, but having a better DR then competition at a given ISO (ISO 100 for instance) is definitely an advantage.

---------- Post added 14-02-16 at 08:49 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Futhermore when theses specs are only rumors.
LoL, only rumors and leaked information , although I wonder who provided those nice 4 or 5 profile photos of the K-1 :-) . Looks like Ricoh are able to control their leakage very well.
02-14-2016, 12:56 AM   #231
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't understand what you intend to achieve by lowering the shutter speed. In my application scenario, the sync-speed is an upper limit one would like to break
I understood you to say that iso 50 vs. iso 100 helps the same way an 1/360s xsync shutter vs. an 1/180s xsync shutter would. And that's not true.

It only helps in one particular scenario (shallower DoF) like an ND filter does. And weak ND filters wouldn't be cumbersome to use then (i.e., at sun shine).
02-14-2016, 01:01 AM   #232
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I understood you to say that iso 50 vs. iso 100 helps the same way an 1/360s xsync shutter vs. an 1/180s xsync shutter would. And that's not true.
I agree that the availability of ISO 50 (compared to ISO 100) is not the same as having a 1/360s sync-speed available (e.g., with respect to motion), but I only wrote:
...An ISO setting of 50 would be equivalent to raising the shutter speed from 1/180s to 1/360s in terms of exposure.
Do you disagree with this statement?

And weak ND filters wouldn't be cumbersome to use then (i.e., at sun shine).
I agree that strong ND filters are the worst, but even weak ones may mean that you have to use step-up rings if you don't want to buy one for each filter diameter in your lens collection.

Last edited by Class A; 02-14-2016 at 01:10 AM.
02-14-2016, 01:47 AM   #233
OTH

Sigma, Nikon and Pentax are using the same image processor (Fujitsu Milbeaut). The lowest ISO of this new image processor is ISO 100. I'm fine with that if the new image processor generation is as good at ISO 100 as the old system (D810) at ISO 64. The 6.5 fps is a good indicator that the new sensor is a 36-42MP, because the new processor can handle 21MP @ 12-14 fps with the new D5/D500. 6.5 fps indicate that the Data size is about twice of the D5/D500 at half of the fps-rate. If the new Pentax AF-system is going to be as smart as this of the new D5 than the new Pentax is going to be a very good choice and to be honest after all the years that Pentax was announcing and spreading rumors it is now the time to deliver !
02-14-2016, 02:13 AM   #234
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OTH Quote
Sigma, Nikon and Pentax are using the same image processor (Fujitsu Milbeaut). The lowest ISO of this new image processor is ISO 100. I'm fine with that if the new image processor generation is as good at ISO 100 as the old system (D810) at ISO 64. The 6.5 fps is a good indicator that the new sensor is a 36-42MP, because the new processor can handle 21MP @ 12-14 fps with the new D5/D500. 6.5 fps indicate that the Data size is about twice of the D5/D500 at half of the fps-rate. If the new Pentax AF-system is going to be as smart as this of the new D5 than the new Pentax is going to be a very good choice and to be honest after all the years that Pentax was announcing and spreading rumors it is now the time to deliver !
As good as D5?
Don't dream...
02-14-2016, 02:19 AM   #235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
As good as D5?
Don't dream...
I don't think that's what he said
02-14-2016, 02:27 AM   #236
OTH

very good working of focus-tracking and eye-detection is a must of new AF-systems in modern cameras . That's what i expect and this functions have to work with using the optical view finder.
02-14-2016, 02:42 AM   #237

Things I like that I hope make it to the next iteration of APS-C cameras:

1) They moved the "select AF point button" to a place that your thumb can more easily reach. After over two years of owning the K-3, I still haven't worked my brain around their placement on the bottom right of the body. Silly. Good move with the K-1.

2) A lock button on the left side of the body. I don't have too many issues hitting the RAW/FX button on my K-3 during warm weather, but in the winter I easily can toggle it while wearing gloves. The fact that there isn't any way to simply disable this button is beyond me. Very much something they should incorporate into a firmware fix, IMO.

3) I like that they did away with the video/still switch and the live view "red button." Again, AF button and the digital playback button being put where your thumb can easily reach is a step in the right direction.

The only change I'd still like to see is an alterative method of selecting the metering. I liked the physical switch on the K-7. Using a button and e-dial is rather slow in my experience. I'd like to see the RAW/FX be able to handle metering, where you could hold down the RAW button and it would switch to either spot or center metering (one would choose which it would toggle to in the menu) as long as you held the button down. It wouldn't completely switch your metering mode, but would offer a nice way to check metering without needing to do anything more than use your left thumb.

As far as specs/capabilities go, I really hope that they pioneer a simple and effective way to connect the camera to phones and other devices. Tethering is a must, as would be an easy to use file transfer system. If the screen is a touch screen, one could conceivably hold a phone or other device close by and drag or swipe photos "onto" the other device straight from the camera. That could be nice!

edit- any and all customization of buttons and switches would be great, IMO. For example, the K-3's "movie and still" switch should be able to become a "AF point selection" on/off switch. The little icon on the back wouldn't change, but user friendliness would. Any way they could make the device more intuitive for the individual is something I support!
02-14-2016, 02:52 AM   #238
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I don't think that's what he said
Indeed but I detected (maybe wrongly) a good dose of wishful thinking (which is not an attack on my part, we all do at times).

Comparable to latest Nikons? No, I don't think so. And it's ok to me.
02-14-2016, 03:48 AM   #239
Veteran Member

It only helps in one particular scenario (shallower DoF) like an ND filter does. And weak ND filters wouldn't be cumbersome to use then (i.e., at sun shine).
If we could have iso 0.1 that might remove entirely the need for ND filters. ND filters are anoying to use, costly and reduce quality. Once that technology that count how many time the photosite was full work, there no reason for this to not work.

That would also allow to shot HDR picture in a single frame with any drawback. No need to stack pictures. Meaning you could get.17-20EV of dynamic range depending of available light in 1 shot.
02-14-2016, 04:16 AM   #240
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You can do ISO 25 yourself if you like: stack multpiles shots and you can pul lthe shadows as much as from the 645z. I've done it and I promise you, zoomed in at 100%, you can't see any noise, images are very clean. Now, if you consider having more DR, having more DR with lowering ISO is not fundamentally an improvement because you need a tripod, but having a better DR then competition at a given ISO (ISO 100 for instance) is definitely an advantage.
Not really on a sunny day keeping at say f/5.6 you can get iso 25, 1/100s that is fast enough for many shots. Couting that many lenses are at their best around f/5.6 that not too bad.

I shoot many pictures in day light and most of the time you have quite some margin on the shutter speed for many subjects.

A D810 at real iso 100 (their iso 100 measured at 75) look like 13.6-13.7 EV. A K3 at real iso 100 (so iso 100 setting from DxO benchmarks) is like 13.3-13.4 EV. Sony A7R look like 13.5EV. Man they are all the same.

if you already have a K3 or K5 or any good APSC camera, nothing except maybe a 645Z or the latest phase one would give you more dynamic range at iso real 100 by a significant margin (say 1EV or more). we can't even be sure for the MF because not all the benchmarks are published.

The only real alternative with today hardware is to stack pictures as you explained or lower the iso. But the last solution contrary to picture stacking allow to avoid a tripod in many case. Most daylight shots could be taken at iso 50 and many at iso 25 getting opportunity for 1-2EV more of dynamic range without much effort. And even on a tripod, you don't get the same result by stacking shots than from a continuous exposure. In many cases, one might prefer the long exposure if available.

So a low iso setting can be quite interresting. it is not fundamental in most cases because one could do HDR and use ND filters, sure but that would be more comfortable to have the setting available.