Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 06:28 AM   #256
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
And Canon said it officially, their 5DS is not made for high iso, it is made for resolution. Choose what matter most to you.
I have linked a comparison at ISO100. That's a difference with noise level in the shadows, which defines the dynamic range. In that case (all images downscaled) it is similar to DxO's "Print" tab comparison.

02-14-2016, 06:30 AM   #257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And Canon said it officially, their 5DS is not made for high iso, it is made for resolution. Choose what matter most to you.
But landscape photographers want resolution and more dynamic range. The 5Ds unfortunately only gets one of those things.

More dynamic range at low ISO is not a negative in any respect-- if you want to keep your shadows dark, you still can, but it allows you to push an image farther in post without it looking pushed.
02-14-2016, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #258
Pentaxian

02-14-2016, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #259
Veteran Member

That flippy screen is wild.
I can't understand why it needs to do all that.

02-14-2016, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #260
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Judging by the spacing of the two brackets inscribed on the focusing screen of K-1, as seen by reflection on the mirror and which most likely correspond to the outer AF points (as with other Pentax cameras),
I think/hope those brackets correspond to those 3 points columns. Hopefully those outer single points are a little further.

---------- Post added 02-14-2016 at 08:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I see no use as well. Maybe there is something I can't imagine just yet.

Last edited by jaad75; 02-14-2016 at 06:43 AM.
02-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #261
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The two extra columns would be enabled on K-1, each for three AF points, thus giving a total of 27 + 3 + 3 = 33 AF points as observed.
Yep, that's it. The K-3 AF array was planned with 3 additional points on the sides. It could well be that those points have been enabled on the K-1. So, would be the same AF module.
02-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #262
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Has anyone heard of any new scheme the K1 might use for shooting at lower resolution than its native value?

I was just thinking that since it already can effectively de-Bayer itself with pixel-shift, will it be able to take advantage of any of that at lower resolutions?

If you shot at 9Mp, for example, could the camera combine the color data from the 36 available Mp?

-Eric

02-14-2016, 06:49 AM   #263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
That flippy screen is wild.
I can only think that it's to do with removing glare by small tilts in any direction, but that would be quite a drastic solution in terms of cost/ engineering - of course we don't actually know the full extent of its movement yet. Also appears to come a hell of a long way out! I can see that having useful macro applications IF it was a touch screen and allowed extensive functions via screen

Interesting image, incidentally - obviously shot for the teaser campaign but not (yet?) used

Last edited by ffking; 02-14-2016 at 07:00 AM.
02-14-2016, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #264
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
This is the best picture of a burst of 12. She was DANCING alone of happiness, under my softbox, my partner was away, and I have the 70-200 with me...and I fail. AF.C would do the trick IMHO.
Well, the K-3 has a bug in the AFC settings. If you select Focus priority for the first frame, the camera disregard this setting an take photos even if slightly out of focus or even completely out of focus. Furthermore, when the K-3 starts firing out of focus, the AF servo is unable to actual the lens AF to bring subsequent shots in focus. So the AFC works only is you pre-focus with the AF button and then release the AF button and start firing with the shutter button. AFA tends to work better to bring the first frame in focus.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-14-2016 at 07:20 AM.
02-14-2016, 07:12 AM   #265

If we could have iso 0.1 that might remove entirely the need for ND filters. ND filters are anoying to use, costly and reduce quality. Once that technology that count how many time the photosite was full work, there no reason for this to not work.

That would also allow to shot HDR picture in a single frame with any drawback. No need to stack pictures. Meaning you could get.17-20EV of dynamic range depending of available light in 1 shot.
The Ricoh GR has a built in ND filter. I have not taken the time to figure out how they implemented this. If incorporated in the body, and not the lens, it would be an interesting feature to implement in the K1.
02-14-2016, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #266
Pentaxian

What do we get in current $600-800 Pentaxes with regards to AF coverage?
How does that compare to the $6000 and $2800 offerings from Canikon?
What will we get für $2000 then?

That is what is out there:

D5 vs. K-3:

1DX vs. K-3:

D800 vs K-3:

Activate the AF sensor lines between the central 5x5 block and the outer ones and you end up with pretty much the same coverage as a D800 - if they manage to scale up the whole coverage from APSC to FF using different AF optics.
And in no meaningful way any significant less than 1DX and D5.
02-14-2016, 07:25 AM   #267
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Hehe..thank you! Just so frustrating, when we're close to finally bring home the biggest thing in Pentax history for ages, and still its not enough for some people.
Well, that's the nature of the beast. These are two different things and unfortunately even Pentax can't please everyone. No matter what they'll bring to the table. I'm sure it will be an excellent camera and concept. Will it suit me for my studio work? I don't know yet. In forums there are lots of wild thoughts and guesses for fun and excitement. Shouldn't be taken too serious all the time...
02-14-2016, 07:25 AM   #268
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But landscape photographers want resolution and more dynamic range. The 5Ds unfortunately only gets one of those things.
Say that to biz-engineer for the dynamic range...
02-14-2016, 07:27 AM   #269
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Activate the AF sensor lines between the central 5x5 block and the outer ones and you end up with pretty much the same coverage as a D800 - if they manage to scale up the whole coverage from APSC to FF using different AF optics. And in no meaningful way any significant less than 1DX and D5.
You stretched the K-3 AF points to match the 1Dx and D5 matrix, in that case, of course, the K-3 AF has the same frame coverage as any camera ! Did you try to layout the K30 AF module (with a bit of mouse stretch) on top of the D5, I sure both AF modules could match.
02-14-2016, 07:31 AM   #270
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You stretched the K-3 AF points to match the 1Dx and D5 matrix, in that case, of course, the K-3 AF has the same frame coverage as any camera !
I did not "stretch" anything. The pictures are just overlaid each within the same picture frame. The AF coverage relative to the picture frame is as it is.
Maybe you need to stretch your mind to understand what you see?