Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #301
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by apete Quote
Who says that?
People that haven't had one...yet other brand's cameras have had one for many years and they have proven quite robust.

02-14-2016, 11:53 AM   #302

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
People who never handled the camera, never saw anything but some pictures of the mechanism.
That's the point!
02-14-2016, 11:55 AM   #303
Veteran Member

All this discussion of points and columns, based on the K-3 AF chip ...

I really doubt the K-1 chip will bear any relationship to the K-3 AF chip. The scale of change in the K-1 will probably be like the AF upgrade from the K-5II to the K-3. Significant, not incremental.

Ricoh knows that superb AF performance needs to be priority #1 for a pro-grade FF body. So while the K-3 AF system is very good, I don't think they will be merely tweaking it for re-use in the K-1.
02-14-2016, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #304
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
People who never handled the camera, never saw anything but some pictures of the mechanism.
All this dubious supposition based on supposed facts gets old. Even more so when different posters are arguing different sets of "facts" and in a few days we will most likely discover both sides are wrong. Still, they will find a way to tell us they were right all along. I think is is time to start using that Boriscleto function!

Last edited by rangercarp; 02-14-2016 at 05:27 PM. Reason: typo
02-14-2016, 12:04 PM   #305
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

I really doubt the K-1 chip will bear any relationship to the K-3 AF chip. The scale of change in the K-1 will probably be like the AF upgrade from the K-5II to the K-3. Significant, not incremental.

Ricoh knows that superb AF performance needs to be priority #1 for a pro-grade FF body. So while the K-3 AF system is very good, I don't think they will be merely tweaking it for re-use in the K-1.
Do I remember in the run-up to the K-3 release Ricoh said they would have the BEST AF - that AF is their #1 priority? And everyone laughed because the other guys wouldn't sit still, so Ricoh was dreaming?

Or am I dreaming?
02-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #306
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Do I remember in the run-up to the K-3 release Ricoh said they would have the BEST AF - that AF is their #1 priority? And everyone laughed because the other guys wouldn't sit still, so Ricoh was dreaming?

Or am I dreaming?
Are you saying that you think the K-1s AF will be on par with the D5 and 1DX Mk 2?
02-14-2016, 12:10 PM   #307

Photos: Albums

Or am I dreaming?
Af system is brand new.

02-14-2016, 12:11 PM   #308
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote

K3 AF is precise and fast, work well in low light, with fast lenses and alike. What miss the most if the software to use it. You need to recognize subject (so that image analysis on the metering sensor), able to follow them and predict where they will be at time the picture will be taken.

While the K5 AF sensor and metering made tracking and predictive AF impossible, I think that what the K3 has would allow it to go on par with the best on Canon/Nikon. But software can be more costly to make than hardware...

Apparently, they reused the K3 AF module, allowing them to share part, enabled some sensor they were not using before on it. Make lot of sense.

I really hope they concentrated on software because this is what they miss, really. Once they have great software they could increase a bit more efficiancy with better sensor but without that software, this is wasted.

Don't dismiss software because it is not hardware, 1/3 of the cost of a modern plane is the software running it.
02-14-2016, 12:19 PM   #309
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuoppi Quote
Af system is brand new.
Sounds like you know something ahead of the rest of us ...
02-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #310
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Are you saying that you think the K-1s AF will be on par with the D5 and 1DX Mk 2?
No, I have no basis for saying it will be - or won't be. I'm asking whether my memory serves me well, in response to rawr's post, that Pentax has declared they place the highest importance on AF.
02-14-2016, 12:24 PM   #311
Veteran Member

No, I have no basis for saying it will be - or won't be. I'm asking whether my memory serves me well, in response to rawr's post, that Pentax has declared they place the highest importance on AF.
i remember kenspo saying that at least. And seriously that likely the area that would benefit them the most... Pentax need to get rid of this bad AF reputation if they want to grow.

I'am pretty sure the K1 has significantly better AF, mostly it should have improved tracking and added a predictive AF algorithm. I do not expect it to be better than Nikon offering, but I think it might be good enoug for most... And if they continue their effort, in 2-3 year for the next flagship release, their AF could very well be as good or better than the competition.
02-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #312
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^ I probably recall kenspo posting that. Therefore not an 'official' statement, but indicative nonetheless.
02-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #313
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Apparently, they reused the K3 AF module
We don't know that.

I personally doubt that we will see a lot of K-3 AF parts re-use in the K-1. At the core of the K-3 AF module is a 2012/2013 chip, and two years is a long time in camera hardware (and camera software). Meanwhile, Canon/Nikon/Sony have been moving along, improving their AF every year.
02-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #314
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Or am I dreaming?
No, you're not dreaming.
02-14-2016, 12:54 PM   #315
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
And why there were only 2 big excentred points, more like 2 excentred line in fact ,on K3 or K5? Why also not having say, 20 points per lines and 30 lines.

With this kind of question, we never end !
You clearly didn't get my point, but felt the need to get offensive instead.
But you know what: I don't care. I'm here for fun and not to argue all day long. And we all be smarter regarding the AF of the K-1 in just a few days anyway.