Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 211 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #316
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
K3 AF is precise and fast
As everything being relative, and most Pentaxians never used a Nikon, I can understand that in your opinion the K3 AF is good. I've rented a D750 for trial, so, I think I already wrote somewhere: D750 AF is so much faster and straight compared to the K-3, you can't even imagine until you tried it! Handling of D750 was great, but the body is built in a way that it feels like kind of a disposable camera, and PPS is slow... but I can't read the "K-3 AF is precise and fast", K-3 center point AFS is precise and fast, but that every camera can do it even my old 2.5 Mpixels Coolpix 2100 does it well. So, before you say the K3 AF is precise and fast, get to rent a 5DIII and D750 or D810 for a week-end. When my K-3 keeps firing out of focus so my naked eye can see it in the view finder, I don't call this precise, for me I miss 80% of the shots and this AF does not do its job. I'd never ever the K-3 for pro-use. I just realize that using only one brand of camera makes people view the world as if they were living in a bubble.

02-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #317
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
We don't know that.

I personally doubt that we will see a lot of K-3 AF parts re-use in the K-1. At the core of the K-3 AF module is a 2012/2013 chip, and two years is a long time in camera hardware (and camera software). Meanwhile, Canon/Nikon/Sony have been moving along, improving their AF every year.
Well Nikon sure used the same AF model for a few years, Pentax used the old one with 11 point for quite a few years even if it improved it quite a bit... I see no issue with the same module being reused, a few disabled sensor module enabled and much more importantly, their AF software model drastically improved. That the component that need the most improvements.
02-14-2016, 01:12 PM   #318
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I just realize that using only one brand of camera makes people view the world as if they were living in a bubble.
If you own multiple brands of camera (eg Pentax/Nikon/Sony), and multiple formats, does that qualify a person as bubble-free?
02-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #319
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the K-1 AF module was simply taken from the K-3 parts bin, this camera would have been released well before this week (IMHO).

02-14-2016, 01:17 PM   #320
Pentaxian

If you own multiple brands of camera (eg Pentax/Nikon/Sony), and multiple formats, does that qualify a person as bubble-free?
LoL, :-) no you may still suffer of brand addiction.
02-14-2016, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #321
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
As everything being relative, and most Pentaxians never used a Nikon, I can understand that in your opinion the K3 AF is good. I've rented a D750 for trial, so, I think I already wrote somewhere: D750 AF is so much faster and straight compared to the K-3, you can't even imagine until you tried it! Handling of D750 was great, but the body is built in a way that it feels like kind of a disposable camera, and PPS is slow... but I can't read the "K-3 AF is precise and fast", K-3 center point AFS is precise and fast, but that every camera can do it even my old 2.5 Mpixels Coolpix 2100 does it well. So, before you say the K3 AF is precise and fast, get to rent a 5DIII and D750 or D810 for a week-end. When my K-3 keeps firing out of focus so my naked eye can see it in the view finder, I don't call this precise, for me I miss 80% of the shots and this AF does not do its job. I'd never ever the K-3 for pro-use. I just realize that using only one brand of camera makes people view the world as if they were living in a bubble.
This is what I meant, in fact all AF points except the 2 bar at the extreme are precise and fast used alone. The problem are not the AF sensor has you just written there and so the AF hardware. The problem is the software that has to understand what is the subject on the picture, link it deph map from the AF sensors and predict were the subject will be when the picture will be taken and drive the lense accordingly.

As if you old compact camera has a fast AFS as a good as a DSLR good for you... even if anyway it is difficult to have something out of focus on a compact.

As you explained, you'll have to rent a K1 before concluding it can't compete.
02-14-2016, 01:25 PM   #322
Pentaxian

This is what I meant, in fact all AF points except the 2 bar at the extreme are precise and fast used alone. The problem are not the AF sensor has you just written there and so the AF hardware. The problem is the software that has to understand what is the subject on the picture, link it deph map from the AF sensors and predict were the subject will be when the picture will be taken and drive the lense accordingly.
Yes.

As you explained, you'll have to rent a K1 before concluding it can't compete.
Yes! I want to see that !

02-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #323
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So now we can surmise who is paying.
02-14-2016, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #324
Pentaxian

That flippy screen is wild.
I can't understand why it needs to do all that.
Quite obvious. Ricoh are aiming at the street dance selfie market segment.

Kjell
02-14-2016, 02:28 PM   #325
Forum Member

The Pentax k3 have 27 p. the k-1 have 33 p. depending on the picture
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
02-14-2016, 02:47 PM   #326
Veteran Member

Pentax is nowhere near Nikon on AF yet..but slowly getting there
02-14-2016, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless you didn't do anything else, it would probably mean the bubbles were swirling all around you, and you never get to see what any of them are.

It's an odd belief that sticking to one brand will necessarily isolate you from knowledge or recognition of the positive values of others, although there are no doubt some people who are so one-eyed that they become fanatical about the object of their admiration. Even the most diehard sports team follower will generally acknowledge skill and talent on the other side.
02-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #328
Veteran Member

Slow and steady wins the race
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Pentax is nowhere near Nikon on AF yet..but slowly getting there
02-14-2016, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #329
Veteran Member

Exactly..step by step..FF one is much better then K-3 and the next one will be better..and so on
02-14-2016, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #330
Pentaxian

For the money I own 2 K-3s, or 3 for the price of the D810.

In the same price range the D7100 was about the same with better lenses. The D7200 is better than the K3ii.

I'll buy this for better AF, and I suspect it will be very good.

What we will hear is how it just isn't as good as Nikon or Canon bodies costing twice as much.

Here is what I'm looking for:

Fast and precise af including tracking.
D810ish range of IQ.
All the function that I want exposed via wifi. The flu worked but you couldn't do a fast burst of shots. Nor other exposure modes that benefit from remote operation. Bulb for example.
The pttl delay gone.

Those are things that I work around and would open opportunities for shots. The rest is gravy.