Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 211 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2016, 03:40 AM - 5 Likes   #376
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been asked to settle down in the past - so now I'm asking. Everyone please settle down.

The poster who elicited kenspo's response joined 02/04/2016 and has 16 posts. No one knows how long the member has been lurking, but for him to suggest kenspo made and broke a promise is ludicrous, much less to suggest kenspo promised the best af ever.

Ricoh apparently believes, and we seem to recall they said af is the most important element to work on, to expend extra effort to improve. It won't be completely, equally competitive, in all aspects, immediately, at the flagship level; it might never be the equal of a $6,000 sports / action camera; it will take some time for the lenses to catch up since many of them were built and inventoried quite some time ago.

Considerate, patient, informed people understand and accept such facts.

Drive by shooters - well - drive by and shoot.

We can certainly expect significant, material advances with each new model, significantly more than incremental improvement each time. I say such a thing because I pay attention to patents (there has been a flurry of af patents), I read here and other forums often and have for years, I use the cameras and I accept that my needs are not the same as a stringer for NFL Properties. Eye recognition, sure, I could use that. Predictive tracking algorithm, yeah, probably. 6.5 fps - yeah, I guess so. Fast in-lens motors to deliver the camera's calculations, yep, you betcha (don't forget the lenses are part of the deal). Those seem to be the things Ricoh is developing.

So please just exhale, wait a few days and evaluate what we get. What we're going to get for $2,200 will be quite remarkable, really.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-15-2016 at 06:05 AM.
02-15-2016, 03:40 AM   #377
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sense a bit of overheating here :-)
It may be a natural reaction to start quarreling in absence of factual information. But hold your horses, only a few more days to go !
02-15-2016, 03:41 AM   #378
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
t is probably wisest to put him on ignore.
OK - I'll listen to a wiser head and keep out of it
02-15-2016, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #379
Pentaxian

And what if the point is to make us feel disappointed, about expectations we never had? And to lose trust in kenspo?

Anyway: the K-1 is a big step forward, that's even if it would be nothing more than "a Pentax FF DSLR" - i.e. simply because it means entering a new market segment. Thus, it's bound to be attacked: it already is, now, when we don't know (most of) the specs. It will be attacked even harsher after it will be announced.
It will be annoying... but we'd better be happy with the new camera, than falling into their traps (a thing I'm quite prone to, unfortunately)

02-15-2016, 03:43 AM   #380

I am glad to hear the K1 is a step in the right direction re: focusing - to tell the truth I've never really understood why Pentax seem to have such difficulty matching the competition in this area. It is a well established technology after all and I would have thought certainly not the most difficult element of designing a DSLR (but then I'm no engineer).

If the K1 approaches parity with the EOS 5d or D750/D800 that will be great but I have to confess in my line of photography - portraits with the odd bit of kids running around, school sportsdays etc I've rarely struggled with the K3, whereas I certainly did with the K5.

Anyway, I guess we'll all know a lot more by the end of the week!

Oh and just as an addendum I for one very much value having an ambassador here who contributes, it's brilliant - even if occasionally I have been on the end of one of Kenspo's missiles LOL!

jonlg
02-15-2016, 03:44 AM - 2 Likes   #381
Veteran Member

Such forum drama.

All over a camera we still know very little about.
02-15-2016, 03:48 AM   #382
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jonlg Quote
Oh and just as an addendum I for one very much value having an ambassador here who contributes, it's brilliant - even if occasionally I have been on the end of one of Kenspo's missiles LOL!
Sorry about that..for you and everyone Im working on that..Im just like that in the real world too..So its not on the forums

02-15-2016, 03:51 AM   #383
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This forum is somewhat like real life...... lot's of people one wouldn't normally give the time of day to...... best to just ignore them and move on.

At times I find this difficult to do..... one wants to "correct the record" ...... but there really isn't much point...... better to get back to the constructive and more enjoyable exchanges.... (stupid/rude people are everywhere)

I'd like the forun to have and an additional "ignore" option...... one that minimises their posts but allows you to expand it if wanted.....

Anyway, I'm still trying to work out if my wife will notice a slightly bigger and heavier K3.

Last edited by noelpolar; 02-15-2016 at 03:59 AM.
02-15-2016, 03:52 AM   #384
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Kenpo, at this moment Nikon has 3 flagships: D5 for sports, D500 for APS-C , D810 for resolution. On wich one did you refer when you spoke about Pentax Af?
well The D5 and D500 are not for sale yet AFAIK.

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
That alone is a major feat. The mass to move around quickly has more than doubled, probably x3. And in order to gain the same results the maximum shifting also must be greater, so that drives up the need for momentum even more.
The sensor shift array will not grow proportionally with the sensor and it also won't be any thicker.
02-15-2016, 04:17 AM   #385
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The sensor shift array will not grow proportionally with the sensor and it also won't be any thicker.
It has to. Try understanding what it is and what it has to do.
02-15-2016, 04:19 AM   #386
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
It has to. Try understanding what it is and what it has to do.
By your command......

I am an idiot but you already knew that of course O superior one.
02-15-2016, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #387
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Anyway, I'm still trying to work out if my wife will notice a slightly bigger and heavier K3.
02-15-2016, 04:24 AM   #388
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I am an idiot but you already knew that of course
finally you admit that
now, what about our other member?
02-15-2016, 04:36 AM   #389
Veteran Member

I don't think kenspo wrote anything about the K-1 AF-C so far. I thought, he was talking about current Pentax offer (i.e. K-3II). From my understanding he didn't have a chance to try the K-1 personally... I don't have expectations that Pentax will bring the AF system at D5/D500 level anyways, but it does not mean it's not going to be enough for me... Actually the K-3 level is not bad at all and the bottleneck is more often the lens used than the AF module itself.
02-15-2016, 04:45 AM - 6 Likes   #390
Veteran Member

Just been an hour in the phone with Ricoh..Now i know ALL specs and little features. There are a few minor disappointments..but there will be some new features that will make your jaw drop..and that no other brand has on their pro cameras. So get ready for some neat surprises