Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 166 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #166
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
You have a long history of complaining about the Ricoh logo, so don't even try to backtrack here.

Your own words from April 2015:
"When I go out with my K-3, I show off against Canon; hey look, it's a Pentax, mine's got SR , not yours ! The thing is I kind of lose face when they see the Ricoh logo at the back of the camera. For Canon, Pentax was still to be taken seriously, but Ricoh as a camera company, not so much. "

Source: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/293644-how-...-enough-2.html
I think he was hanging out with the wrong crowd (well, obviously: Canon users... ) Ricoh is very well respected as a camera maker by the other professionals I hang out with. The GR1 series and (awesome) GR21 were absolutely the go to 'pocket' cameras for the majority that I knew, and those that didn't own one, wanted one. The GR lenses on both those (28mm and 21mm) were so admired that Ricoh was eventually persuaded to offer them as interchangeable lenses in Leica mount, in which guise they sold steadily despite being priced at more than the cost of the entire camera when bought attached to a GR1v or GR21.

Since then the GR-Digital series and innovative GXR have also been much respected and now the current GR and GR II are among the best fixed lens APS-c compacts available.

Ricoh has wisely kept the 'Ricoh' name for (mostly) compact cameras (and office equipment) and 'Pentax' for (mostly) DSLRS and other interchangeable lens offerings (and other professional optics in surveying, medical, etc.). Ricoh's camera making heritage also goes back further than most people assume.

I was a Pentaxian first, but started using Ricoh compacts as well long before the Ricoh purchase, and based on my experience from those years I always thought Ricoh quite possibly the best new owners we could have possibly hoped for.

02-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Exactly. I use the top screen every time too -- Through adjusting the settings before I even look through the VF, usually as I'm moving towards a scene.

I'm very interested in how the top panel functions on this body. A crucial element for me.
Interesting. The only time I ever use the top LCD is when I'm shooting (blind) at waist level. The level indicator is very useful then. I hope it is still there.
02-13-2016, 02:41 PM - 2 Likes   #168
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Original Bandicoot Quote
I always thought Ricoh quite possibly the best new owners we could have possibly hoped for.
I scoffed at the irony at first - that Pentax should end up in the hands of a former competitor which it actually outlasted in the SLR market - but then I discovered the history of the K mount and thought wait, Ricoh would understand the Pentax legacy. And I agree with you.

Once upon a time the Pentax was just a particular camera that Asahi Optical Corp. made, but it went so well for them that they changed their name to honour their creation. I doubt the same will happen to Ricoh - the company does too many other things - but seeing Pentax as a brand within Ricoh no longer seems such an odd thing; it is almost full-circle.
02-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #169

I also find no personal reservations or shyness about Ricoh claiming its right of ownership with Pentax and advertising such. I highly appreciate that they have chosen to honor and retain the Pentax brand- but Ricoh has a long proven history of excellent products themselves!

02-13-2016, 04:09 PM   #170
Veteran Member

Hi everyone. I'm new here I have an old Pentax film camera and kit. I've been following the FF developments for over a year now. Just want to make a comment here. There appears to me to be something hiding just below the PENTAX logo on the pentaprism. A windows perhaps? Can you see a short horizontal line?
02-13-2016, 04:15 PM   #171
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Hi everyone. I'm new here I have an old Pentax film camera and kit. I've been following the FF developments for over a year now. Just want to make a comment here. There appears to me to be something hiding just below the PENTAX logo on the pentaprism. A windows perhaps? Can you see a short horizontal line?

too low res to tell but I think it is just an indention.. perhaps to ensure fatter lenses will mount to the camera body?
02-13-2016, 04:20 PM   #172

I wouldn't put too much on the lack of the dreaded "hociR" on the back. After all the pre-release K-3s had Pentax stenciled on them. And on the boxes the Ricoh logo is about the same size as the Pentax logo.

There's a quaint little custom in marriage where one party takes on the family name of the other.

It was also rumored that Canon was interested in acquiring both times it was up for sale so perhaps we should count our blessing that Ricoh acquired Pentax cameras and had dedicated themselves to supporting the K-mount. Canon probably would have grabbed whatever technology and engineers they thought were useful and locked down all the patents so you wouldn't see another K-mount camera produced.

02-13-2016, 04:37 PM   #173
Veteran Member

l have some m series lenses. I guess I am just seeing things in hope that they have found a way of accommodating these old lenses. Maybe an eye that can read the aperture?
02-13-2016, 04:39 PM   #174
mee
Veteran Member

l have some m series lenses. I guess I am just seeing things in hope that they have found a way of accommodating these old lenses. Maybe an eye that can read the aperture?

highly doubtful. But it does have a green button for metering.
02-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
G'day mate and welcome to the forum
02-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #176
Veteran Member

Thank you. I was a keen photographer in the film days but put my gear away and lost interest some time ago. My first camera was a P30. A good little Pentax. Hopefully I can get my hands on a K-1 soon :-)
02-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #177
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It it just me, or has the battery grip gained a couple of millimeters in height? This might point to a new battery.

Flagship Canon and Nikon cameras use an extra-large three-cell battery inserted into the integrated vertical grip; as an example, the Nikon EN-EL18a is rated at 10.8 V and 2500 mAh. While it's not entirely clear if such a battery can physically fit in the main handgrip, it has been enlarged relative to the K-3, so I'm wondering if Pentax is using the same type of battery with the K-1...

The existing Pentax D-LI90 is very similar in design to the Canon LP-E6N and Nikon EN-EL15, and they almost certainly use the same type of cell (two 18500 cells). The three-cell batteries use larger 18650 cells, the same kind found in many laptop batteries and commonly sold for use in flashlights and vaporizers.

Edit: On further examination, it's rather unlikely that the grip is large enough to accommodate a three-cell battery, nor is it tall enough to provide ~70mm of vertical space, the minimum needed for a battery that uses 18650s to fit.

Last edited by bwDraco; 02-13-2016 at 06:15 PM.
02-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Original Bandicoot Quote
And I hope that the positional relationship of the AF button to the shutter button on the grip and on the body are both the same. The fact that they differ from each other on the K-3 is one of the biggest ergonomic annoyances on an otherwise excellent camera.
So true.

There is hope, though, as a new D-BG6 has been rumoured to be part of the accessories to be released with the K-1.
02-13-2016, 11:09 PM   #179

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That would be your smartphone.
but my smartphone doesn't say PENTAX
02-13-2016, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #180
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bwDraco Quote
It it just me, or has the battery grip gained a couple of millimeters in height? This might point to a new battery.

Flagship Canon and Nikon cameras use an extra-large three-cell battery inserted into the integrated vertical grip; as an example, the Nikon EN-EL18a is rated at 10.8 V and 2500 mAh. While it's not entirely clear if such a battery can physically fit in the main handgrip, it has been enlarged relative to the K-3, so I'm wondering if Pentax is using the same type of battery with the K-1...

The existing Pentax D-LI90 is very similar in design to the Canon LP-E6N and Nikon EN-EL15, and they almost certainly use the same type of cell (two 18500 cells). The three-cell batteries use larger 18650 cells, the same kind found in many laptop batteries and commonly sold for use in flashlights and vaporizers.

Edit: On further examination, it's rather unlikely that the grip is large enough to accommodate a three-cell battery, nor is it tall enough to provide ~70mm of vertical space, the minimum needed for a battery that uses 18650s to fit.
No change in battery.
This is one of the few things i know for sure.