Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 166 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 06:44 AM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
If i understood correctly..bear in mind that i wasn't drooling atm and didn't pay attention..That there will be 2 version of the FF. One with and one without the 645 connectivity. So take this with a pinch of salt since I'm not sure i heard or understood correctly
That would be fairly cool. If true, it could maybe explain the delay in the K-1's release. The unexpected level of success of the 645z would have prompted Ricoh to add smart 645 lens compatibility to the FF...? If there are indeed two versions (rather than one with a smart adapter), maybe they'll call the 2nd version K-1z? They'd likely sell one of those to pretty much every 645 shooter...

02-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Original Bandicoot Quote
One wish and one hope:

I wish the battery grip attached with a fast and rigid lever system like the one on the MZ-S rather than a slow and awkward screw.
It's funny, I never thought of that as a requested feature until you just said that. I do always think to myself how silly it is how long it takes to spin that dial to get the grip removed. Good thought.
02-14-2016, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #213
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
It would have been a way of testing the weatherproofing of the camera...
would have to be waterproof to 10m to survive my drool

---------- Post added 02-14-16 at 07:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
K-1z
they only just squeezed K-1 in on the front of the camera ;D
02-14-2016, 09:37 AM   #214
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
You could go further than that. No top LCD, all the info in the viewfinder, micro SD card to save space, analogue control knobs... in short, an MX-D or K1000-D, but with a superior viewfinder presentation.
If you want a superior viewfinder, drop the AF. Then you can have it.

As for the smartphone thing: It would be an ADDITION to the regular screen. For example when you put the camera in a place where you can't see the screen. Or when you want to review the images on a higher quality screen. Or perhaps even put it into Google Cardboard and put that onto your head. It would be quite trippy, but who knows, maybe useful.

You could mount the camera onto a car, and control it from inside. Or be inside a studio, the camera mounted on the tripod, and you're with the model, telling him or her how to pose and being able to show the result instantly. And on and on and on. Lots of possibilities. But no one is going to take away your screen on the back of the camera. That would be stupid.

To avoid scratches Pentax could be using glass. It's not like you are going to drop your camera... and those that do can put on a glass screen protector. I have one on my phone, and it has saved my screen twice now.

02-14-2016, 10:06 AM   #215
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Nope, Kunzite, that would not be a problem and here is why.
In the use case envisionned by OTH, the screen is NOT used in normal case. If you really really need one the possibility is there (smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc.) but it is NOT part of the workflow.
The use case is not stupid at all.

What is bogus though is the economics of such device. It would not sell, would be killed in reviews (remember K-01?).
But the use case is not stupid, just a niche. Justifiable for Leica or such brands. Unfortunately probably not Pentax.
But what you're saying is designing a camera for a particular use case. I disagree that not using the back LCD is "normal" - we're using it for a lots of settings (including white balance, where you need visual feedback, and reviewing images which is one of the crucial advantages of the digital).

So it's really a product for the most hardcore film nostalgics. Those not hardcore enough would realize, of course, that they actually don't want to live up with the inconveniences and would buy a 'fake retro' but fully featured camera.
02-14-2016, 10:42 AM   #216
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Original Bandicoot Quote
One wish and one hope:

I wish the battery grip attached with a fast and rigid lever system like the one on the MZ-S rather than a slow and awkward screw.
+1
I never understood why they abandoned that lever system. It's such a joy to use on the MZ-S.
02-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #217
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
If you want a superior viewfinder, drop the AF. Then you can have it.

As for the smartphone thing: It would be an ADDITION to the regular screen. For example when you put the camera in a place where you can't see the screen. Or when you want to review the images on a higher quality screen. Or perhaps even put it into Google Cardboard and put that onto your head. It would be quite trippy, but who knows, maybe useful.

You could mount the camera onto a car, and control it from inside. Or be inside a studio, the camera mounted on the tripod, and you're with the model, telling him or her how to pose and being able to show the result instantly. And on and on and on. Lots of possibilities. But no one is going to take away your screen on the back of the camera. That would be stupid.

To avoid scratches Pentax could be using glass. It's not like you are going to drop your camera... and those that do can put on a glass screen protector. I have one on my phone, and it has saved my screen twice now.
I have used surveying tools under all kinds of conditions and they do have displays, so don't complain about displays at all, it is proven technology.
The only drawback is that you cannot really put a sticker over the whole back of the camera to personalize it.

02-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But what you're saying is designing a camera for a particular use case. I disagree that not using the back LCD is "normal" - we're using it for a lots of settings (including white balance, where you need visual feedback, and reviewing images which is one of the crucial advantages of the digital).

So it's really a product for the most hardcore film nostalgics. Those not hardcore enough would realize, of course, that they actually don't want to live up with the inconveniences and would buy a 'fake retro' but fully featured camera.
Yup, fully agreed. And those who are so hardcore film nostalgics will probably just get a regular SLR anyway. And set up their own film lab at home.
02-14-2016, 12:53 PM   #219
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote

Of course, that's what I said.
The use case is alright, the economics is, IMO, down the toilet.
02-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
You could go further than that. No top LCD, all the info in the viewfinder, micro SD card to save space, analogue control knobs... in short, an MX-D or K1000-D, but with a superior viewfinder presentation.

That is it, they should do it
02-14-2016, 01:23 PM   #221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OTH Quote
But there is something clever if you think vice versa. They could design a camera without back LCD and implementing a smartphone connection that use a smartphone as back LCD instead. That would have a lot of advantages:

a) the camera can be designed much more compact
b) the power consumption of the camera is reduced
c) no scratched back LCD, that usually happens after a couple of time in use !
d) the camera can be sold cheaper, because the costs of the back LCD don't exist
e) the smartphone can be placed free in any position, even far away of the positioned camera
f) they can implement the "touch-pad" function very easy, by using the touch of the smartphone. I'm really no friend of a touch-pad on a camera, because it's just a question of time that the touch gets scatches as an ordinary LCD too. But a scratch at a touch display means immediately that it is broken and must be replaced with a lot of costs even if you don't need it.

P.S.:

g) you could also use a tablet as display, that gives much better impression of the picture and would allow you to edit Raw-Pictures with software at site
A device like this already exists for the Micro Four Thirds system—look at the Olympus AIR. I'm not so sure a similar device for Pentax K would make much sense.
02-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #222
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bwDraco Quote
A device like this already exists for the Micro Four Thirds system—look at the Olympus AIR. I'm not so sure a similar device for Pentax K would make much sense.
I don't know if Olympus Air is a good seller, but I don't want one or a similar K mount camera.

I primarily want Wifi for easily importing images from a real camera to the phone. Secondary I want a phone with a set of good cameras, even if it means tripling the thickness around the camera part of it. A built in theta plus a 35mm equivalent and a 100mm equivalent with tilted optics. Or even two 35mm equivalent lenses for 3D and for combining high and low exposure.
02-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. I want a phone that's actually a good phone! I guess I'd accept a dSLR phone - if it was a good phone.
02-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #224
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
If i understood correctly..bear in mind that i wasn't drooling atm and didn't pay attention..That there will be 2 version of the FF. One with and one without the 645 connectivity. So take this with a pinch of salt since I'm not sure i heard or understood correctly
That makes sense to me, I probably didn't understand well information which I got back in april 2015.
Here is the link https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/288490-unveiling-fu...ml#post3281754
He just told that there will be two bodies, rest of that post was my speculation.
Btw until now I believed that new DFA 28-105 will be f/4 or f/3.5-4.5, despite I got exact specification (HD DFA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 WR) from him almost 5 months ago (last week in september 2015).

Last edited by banep; 02-14-2016 at 03:09 PM.
02-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #225
Veteran Member

Maybe i did not hear wrong after all then hehe