Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 04:36 AM   #91
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 8,934
QuoteOriginally posted by Easeman Quote
I combined pictures of K-1 and K-3 and adjusted them according to actual scale - K-1 looks more robust.
Your scaling looks off.

The width of the K-1 is the same in both front and rear views, but the width of the K-3 is not.

It seems like you used the lens mount as a scaling reference, however, note that the focal length used for taking the photo of the camera influences how wide/narrow the body behind the mount will look like. In other words, I don't think your visualisation is accurate.

02-13-2016, 04:42 AM - 2 Likes   #92
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,609
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Same for me. I can't get used to this, it always get in the way when I take photos. I can't get used to some of the things are done with the K-3. K-5 was better.
And in turn my *istDS was better... The Fn button on that camera was an absolute dream. I do like some of the changes they did with the K-5, but others... and really, how hard can it be to add another button? Or even to write a bit of firmware that lets us repurpose another button we don't need for that function? What is the point of the Fx button on the K-5 if the feature I'd most want to be there just isn't available? I really hope that focus point selection button can be re-purposed for this function.
02-13-2016, 05:07 AM   #93
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
How big is this handsome beast compared to its competitors? I hope it's a lot smaller and lighter.
Did a quick check with a few Nikons, but due to much work I forgot which ones .
General impression with a few FF and APS..
Smaller in heigth and width, but thicker and heavier...
02-13-2016, 05:08 AM   #94
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Poole
Posts: 1,480
QuoteOriginally posted by Easeman Quote
I combined pictures of K-1 and K-3 and adjusted them according to actual scale - K-1 looks more robust.
Both of them are great
back LCD marginally bigger, too

02-13-2016, 05:08 AM - 7 Likes   #95
Pentaxian




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Romania
Posts: 8,409
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I don't think Ricoh purchased the Pentax camera business unit because they have a good heart ! As usual, they made a deal that they thought made sense for Hoya and Ricoh.
Ricoh haven't done a hostile takeover on Pentax. They didn't launch a mediatic attack aimed to diminish their chances at continuing independently. They didn't declare themselves completely uninterested in the camera business, it being only extra luggage. They never said that short term margins are more important than the future, Pentax must cut costs or else. They didn't stop R&D and fire top engineers.
Ricoh saved Pentax from the ones who did that. Yes, they had a business plan (to save their own camera business) but that's completely fine.
02-13-2016, 05:09 AM   #96
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Poole
Posts: 1,480
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Look at the top (of the three) tabs on the mount it doesn't look right, it's got chips out of it...
looks to me to be part of the focus screen changing system, but could be wrong
02-13-2016, 05:10 AM   #97
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 2,951
What about dobble-battery containing grip ?
02-13-2016, 05:16 AM   #98
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Poole
Posts: 1,480
One new thing to ponder - what is that feature on the front underside of the prism, just above the lens mount? - it's in the same place as the old LX-style 'Judas window' but not necessary with electronics or usable with out aperture ring

02-13-2016, 05:22 AM   #99
Pentaxian
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,753
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
One new thing to ponder - what is that feature on the front underside of the prism, just above the lens mount? - it's in the same place as the old LX-style 'Judas window' but not necessary with electronics or usable with out aperture ring
That's just a simple profile in the body. The K-3 has it too; it's there to allow for BIG lenses to be mounted without hitting the body/prism housing. I do notice the profile is smaller than on the K-3.
02-13-2016, 05:24 AM   #100
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 2,777
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
(...)

Look at the top (of the three) tabs on the mount it doesn't look right, it's got chips out of it...
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
looks to me to be part of the focus screen changing system, but could be wrong
No, this:

02-13-2016, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #101
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 274
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
STILL the stupidest criticism ever.
Yes...Ricoh, the company that pulled the Pentax brand from the ashes and gave us a FF!.....but screw Ricoh!
02-13-2016, 05:31 AM   #102
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,816
Hybrid optical viewfinder ?
02-13-2016, 05:39 AM   #103
New Member




Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 9
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Your scaling looks off.

The width of the K-1 is the same in both front and rear views, but the width of the K-3 is not.

It seems like you used the lens mount as a scaling reference, however, note that the focal length used for taking the photo of the camera influences how wide/narrow the body behind the mount will look like. In other words, I don't think your visualisation is accurate.
Thanks.
As you described, it's not accurate. I used the mount as a reference.
02-13-2016, 05:40 AM   #104
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,816
QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
Yes...Ricoh, the company that pulled the Pentax brand from the ashes and gave us a FF!.....but screw Ricoh!
It's funny for me to read that. What did Ricoh do ? Until now, none of the products released by Ricoh since they took over Pentax, outsold the K-5. We will see if the Pentax K-1 will outsell the K-5.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-13-2016 at 06:00 AM.
02-13-2016, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #105
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,797
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Ricoh haven't done a hostile takeover on Pentax. They didn't launch a mediatic attack aimed to diminish their chances at continuing independently. They didn't declare themselves completely uninterested in the camera business, it being only extra luggage. They never said that short term margins are more important than the future, Pentax must cut costs or else. They didn't stop R&D and fire top engineers.


Ricoh saved Pentax from the ones who did that.

Yes, they had a business plan (to save their own camera business) but that's completely fine.
This is what we have to remember.

Remember that Ricoh was once very much second-fiddle to Pentax in the camera world, and followed its lead in accepting the K mount. So while it might not be accurate, it can be fun to imagine parallels with a certain, recently-revised science-fiction franchise...

Ricoh CEO: "There is still good in Pentax - I've felt it."

...but this time with Luke successfully turning his father away from the Dark Side and getting him to safety.

I still think it was a mistake, and created confusion, to put the Ricoh name on the K-3 - but there is no doubt in my mind that Ricoh saved Pentax from Hoya and deserves the credit. They can put their name on the outside of the box all they like. That being said, I think what they have done on the teaser site - FULL FRAME BY PENTAX - is nice. They own Pentax and everyone knows it, but they're still giving credit where credit is due.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, camera, chance, edges, focus, frame, k-3, lens, lot, pentax news, pentax rumors, selection, smartphone, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Variety of K-3 Picture Samples jorgitog1 Pentax K-3 2 11-26-2014 08:53 AM
Picture of Pink K-01 prototype JPT Pentax K-01 21 05-31-2014 03:26 AM
Picture of the K-01 Adam Pentax News and Rumors 94 02-03-2012 11:57 PM
Real Picture of blue K-X? safdas Pentax DSLR Discussion 15 12-09-2009 09:40 PM
Picture of the week #85 Oct 18 - Nov 1 2009 Peter Zack Weekly Photo Challenges 41 11-01-2009 02:25 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:06 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top