Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 166 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 04:32 AM   #196
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OTH Quote
But there is something clever if you think vice versa. They could design a camera without back LCD and implementing a smartphone connection that use a smartphone as back LCD instead. That would have a lot of advantages:

a) the camera can be designed much more compact
b) the power consumption of the camera is reduced
c) no scratched back LCD, that usually happens after a couple of time in use !
d) the camera can be sold cheaper, because the costs of the back LCD don't exist
e) the smartphone can be placed free in any position, even far away of the positioned camera
f) they can implement the "touch-pad" function very easy, by using the touch of the smartphone. I'm really no friend of a touch-pad on a camera, because it's just a question of time that the touch gets scatches as an ordinary LCD too. But a scratch at a touch display means immediately that it is broken and must be replaced with a lot of costs even if you don't need it.

P.S.:

g) you could also use a tablet as display, that gives much better impression of the picture and would allow you to edit Raw-Pictures with software at site
They have a patent about that, a camera with a smartphone holder instead of a back LCD.
However, on a serious camera? No way:
- you want to have the LCD always available, not in your pocket
- you don't want to depend on your smartphone's battery (it's enough to have to manage camera's)
- you want a self contained solution. There's no guarantee you'd have a suitable smartphone.
- having to hold the smartphone with one hand, that's a tripod-only solution. Just try shooting movies...
- touchscreens might not work if its raining, if you wear gloves etc. The smartphone itself might not survive rain unless it's waterproof.

Summarizing, it's a bad idea - thus, it's discussed at great lengths.

02-14-2016, 05:03 AM   #197
Pentaxian

+1000
I hate using smartphone when shooting... generally the best way to loose everything, because of non welcome calls
Remind me, what's the aim of cell phones ?
02-14-2016, 05:12 AM   #198
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
a basic manual type Dslr,
You could go further than that. No top LCD, all the info in the viewfinder, micro SD card to save space, analogue control knobs... in short, an MX-D or K1000-D, but with a superior viewfinder presentation.
02-14-2016, 05:13 AM   #199
Pentaxian

And don't forget: smartphones are slippery. You think there's a chance to scratch the camera's LCD glass? What's the chance you'd drop your smartphone, while also fiddling with the camera?

02-14-2016, 05:20 AM   #200
OTH

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
You could go further than that. No top LCD, all the info in the viewfinder, micro SD card to save space, analogue control knobs... in short, an MX-D or K1000-D, but with a superior viewfinder presentation.

THAT'S A REAL PENTAX

i wish they had nuts as in good old days !
02-14-2016, 05:23 AM   #201
Pentaxian

You mean like this?

Our Heie performed extensive weather sealing tests, by the way.
02-14-2016, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #202
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Regardless of how the camera is constructed I would want a Wifi function and a phone/tablet app with remote controls and live view finder.

But the camera, however it is constructed, should be an independent device. Menus should be accessible without a phone/tablet. I don't say menus imply a LCD screen. EVF or hybrid finder could be an alternative.

Last edited by Simen1; 02-14-2016 at 05:39 AM.
02-14-2016, 05:36 AM   #203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OTH Quote
THAT'S A REAL PENTAX
not wishing to get over-serious about something that isn't, but I don 't think that straight after is the best test with water penetration -I dropped an ME Soper in a stream once - dried it out as best i could,and it worked fine - months later, maybe up to a year, the film advance mechanism started sounding a bit rough and eventually seized up - rust does its work slowly sometimes ;(
02-14-2016, 05:44 AM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Another explanation proposed by sangha31 on Chassimages: these chips could be additional contacts for the new, fully-coupled Pentax 645 → K adapter.
The plot thickens.

It's an interesting step if true. Very handy for 645 pros.
02-14-2016, 05:52 AM   #205
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
That's for the future Zenit-D in K-mount :

https://rns.online/military/Goskorporatsiya-Rosteh-namerena-vozrodit-brend-f...it-2016-02-08/

Zenit : la renaissance ?
02-14-2016, 05:59 AM   #206
OTH

Let me explain what i mean with the good old days:
At that time they had the concept of interchangeable parts. You could choose different types of viewfinders that could be connected. Has anybody of the designers nowadays ever asked a photograph with bad eyes who needs to wear his googles because the diopter-compensation cannot fix this problem ? In the good old days this people could buy a different viewfinder-module and it was fixed. Nowadays they tell these customers that it is not possible ! What a progress..
If you start to spin this further. It would be so easy to design the back as an interchangeable part. You could choose if you want to adopt a back-part that realize the communication to your smart-device/tablet or you can change it to a back-part that has a LCD. That is so easy to design. The same with an additional Handgrip that is simply screwed to the camera. Let the User decide, if he wants / needs a bulky handgrip or not.
And to spin this further, why do we always have to buy a complete new camera ? Wouldn't it be great to buy a new body, that is cheaper than a complete new camera and adopt this parts like viewfinder, LCD etc.. part to this new body or for example to decide to buy a new LCD-module, because it is better than the existing one that you own ?
Yes there where a lot of clever improvements at the good old times that sadly disappeared. I wish they had nuts to bring back this times
02-14-2016, 06:03 AM   #207
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
suits me, a basic manual type Dslr, no video,
Me too. No prob.

---------- Post added 14-02-16 at 14:09 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And don't forget: smartphones are slippery. You think there's a chance to scratch the camera's LCD glass? What's the chance you'd drop your smartphone, while also fiddling with the camera?
Nope, Kunzite, that would not be a problem and here is why.
In the use case envisionned by OTH, the screen is NOT used in normal case. If you really really need one the possibility is there (smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc.) but it is NOT part of the workflow.
The use case is not stupid at all.

What is bogus though is the economics of such device. It would not sell, would be killed in reviews (remember K-01?).
But the use case is not stupid, just a niche. Justifiable for Leica or such brands. Unfortunately probably not Pentax.

Last edited by thibs; 02-14-2016 at 06:09 AM.
02-14-2016, 06:12 AM   #208
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
If i understood correctly..bear in mind that i wasn't drooling atm and didn't pay attention..That there will be 2 version of the FF. One with and one without the 645 connectivity. So take this with a pinch of salt since I'm not sure i heard or understood correctly
haha, hopefully you didn't drool all over a k-1 sample. Ricoh wouldn't be pleased
02-14-2016, 06:21 AM   #209
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
haha, hopefully you didn't drool all over a k-1 sample. Ricoh wouldn't be pleased
It would have been a way of testing the weatherproofing of the camera...
02-14-2016, 06:29 AM   #210
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Another explanation proposed by sangha31 on Chassimages: these chips could be additional contacts for the new, fully-coupled Pentax 645 → K adapter.

Here below a picture showing the contacts of the Pentax 645 mount:
This + crop mode for apsc-Lenses would make it really easy moving across all formats. The user wouldn't have too many obsolete lenses and bodies. That would make it a really attractive environment that no other company can offer.