Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 09:57 PM   #16
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
It is a large market with crossover to outdoor wildlife. I suspect they have plans to enter that market as well. More than likely find an underserved niche and build from there.
They don't have the resources to fund a niche body like that.. nor does it seem in their spirit to do so. Most of those shooters are already deep in 1dx or D5 style systems wtih tons of long lenses. Pentax would have to improve AF tracking by leaps and bounds, build a large telephoto catalog, and then market an upscale body (with upscale price). Possible but I really really don't see them doing that anytime soon.. if ever..

02-14-2016, 10:40 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
They don't have the resources to fund a niche body like that.. nor does it seem in their spirit to do so. Most of those shooters are already deep in 1dx or D5 style systems wtih tons of long lenses. Pentax would have to improve AF tracking by leaps and bounds, build a large telephoto catalog, and then market an upscale body (with upscale price). Possible but I really really don't see them doing that anytime soon.. if ever..
For Ricoh the ks2 is outside their expertise. They make stuff that businesses buy, large and expensive items with wide and deep support networks. The sports market looks far more like that than retail distribution of low end bodies.

I have no knowledge but what you describe is a market where serious money is spent. The fact that there are competitors is not an obstacle.

Actually what we know about the K1 is that it will be comparable to bodies 20% more expensive with some features that other manufacturers don't have. The thought passed through my mind that all the new development in the FF if put into an apsc body with the smaller sensor, you have a data pipeline capable of 10fps and a really dense af array on the smaller sensor. A $1300 D500. And put this stuff into the 645 and you have a faster and better performing medium format. This is redefine the market stuff.

Ouch.

Ricoh has no existing product lines to protect and can be very disruptive.
02-15-2016, 07:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
JPT: Thats great! I'm looking forward to your summary. Its just good that you remind the 3. party lens makers that K mount exists. Sigma should also be more aware

mee, I agree with derekkite. There is no reason for Ricoh/Pentax to avoid approaching the pro sports market. Its a big margin market witch inspires a lot of non pros. My guessed release plan is just for FF cameras. MF, APS-C, Q, compacts and lenses will come in addition to that. Maybe its an ambitious plan, but I think there will be room for three simultaneous FF models where each model are sold for four years (last year overlapping with the successor).
02-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #19
Pentaxian

K-1 specifications are in the open

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/313820-k-1-specs-28.html#post3530140

and the camera is definitely NOT aimed at sport photographers.

02-15-2016, 08:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
K-1 specifications are in the open

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/313820-k-1-specs-28.html#post3530140

and the camera is definitely NOT aimed at sport photographers.
Mmm guess the Nikon D810 has no sports photographers either

Nikon D810 Full-Frame DSLR | No Optical Low-Pass Filter

Frame advance rate

Approx.5 fps, With EN-EL15 batteries Image area: FX/5 : 4 CL: 1–5 fps CH: 5 fps QC: 3 fps Image area: DX/1.2X CL: 1–6 fps CH: 6 fps QC: 3 fps. Other power sources Image area: FX/5 : 4 CL: 1–5 fps CH: 5 fps QC: 3 fps Image area: DX CL: 1–6 fps CH: 7 fps QC: 3 fps Image area: 1.2X CL: 1–6 fps CH: 6 fps QC: 3 fps

Approx - give or take a bit
FX (FF) = 5fps
DX (ap-c) = 6fps
QC = 3 FPS (quiet continuous)

A camera sports credentials depends mainly of AF tracking ability and buffer size/ algorithm.

Interestingly these K1 performance specs could be a straight C&P from the D800 spec !!

If true you would be able to shoot around twice as long on a D810 than a K1 (for 14Bit raw about 3sec K1 and 6 sec D810)
02-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Mmm guess the Nikon D810 has no sports photographers either

Nikon D810 Full-Frame DSLR | No Optical Low-Pass Filter

(...)
It probably has (heck, D5300 probably too!) but the 24x36 Nikon cameras aimed at sport / action photographers are the D3 / D3s / D4 / D4s / D5, not the D700 / D800 / D810. And K-1 is clearly positioned as a competitor to the latter, not the former (and cheaper than all of them, definitely).