Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 04:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yokohama next week

Hi , anyone going to fly to Yokohama next week to pick up a K-1 ?

02-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #2
JPT
Pentaxian

Well, I'm planning to be at CP+ on the Saturday, but I don't think for a second that they'll be selling K-1s there.

Is anyone else planning to go?
02-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Well, I'm planning to be at CP+ on the Saturday, but I don't think for a second that they'll be selling K-1s there.

(...)
Who said you had to pay anything before picking one up?
02-14-2016, 09:28 AM - 2 Likes   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Who said you had to pay anything before picking one up?
I've started swimming right now....

02-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Is anyone else planning to go?
K1s is due to come out in two years
02-14-2016, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

The K-1 has been a rumor for so long its already old news. When is the replacement expected to be released?
02-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My guess:
2016: K-1 high end FF
2017: A budget FF model. No tiltable screen, no GPS, smaller VF, smaller and lighter, still WR and Wifi, along with compact primes, limiteds?
2018: A FF sports model. Faster and better AF, faster fps, less Mp, along with long primes and a heavy duty dual battery grip.
2019: K-1 are replaced. More Mp, more lenses.

02-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
My guess: 2016: K-1 high end FF 2017: A budget FF model. No tiltable screen, no GPS, smaller VF, smaller and lighter, still WR and Wifi, along with compact primes, limiteds? 2018: A FF sports model. Faster and better AF, faster fps, less Mp, along with long primes and a heavy duty dual battery grip. 2019: K-1 are replaced. More Mp, more lenses.
That's a possibility, although the price of FF is usually higher than APSC and the product life cycles of FF cameras are longer than APSC camera. So, I'd see this product road map more like 2016 , 2018, 2020 , and new APSC cameras in between. If Ricoh were going to release a new FF model every year, that would probably mean discontinuing the APSC product line that would be replaced by low-end FF cameras. I guess this scenario is possible as it would assure nice revenues for Ricoh imaging for at least the 5 years to come, especially because until recently, most new lenses were APSC dedicated. But that would not be very nice for people who would like to sell off their APSC lenses to buy something new.
02-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's a possibility, although the price of FF is usually higher than APSC and the product life cycles of FF cameras are longer than APSC camera. So, I'd see this product road map more like 2016 , 2018, 2020 , and new APSC cameras in between. If Ricoh were going to release a new FF model every year, that would probably mean discontinuing the APSC product line that would be replaced by low-end FF cameras. I guess this scenario is possible as it would assure nice revenues for Ricoh imaging for at least the 5 years to come, especially because until recently, most new lenses were APSC dedicated. But that would not be very nice for people who would like to sell off their APSC lenses to buy something new.
And they could lose a lot of us over time. When I told my wife that speculation about the new camera had an opening price of "only $2000", her response was "ONLY!!" The most expensive camera I've ever purchased was the Canon film camera which cost me $700 back in 1995; I know that price would be higher now, but I'm unlikely to ever buy a $2K, or even a $1K camera (we have a lot of more worthy uses for those dollars); my choices at that point would be to either buy well-used Pentax cameras or go back to Canon again.
02-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't worry. They're running full APSc, FF and 645 lines. New APSc cameras are in the pipe. My only question is Q.
02-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Don't worry. They're running full APSc, FF and 645 lines. New APSc cameras are in the pipe. My only question is Q.
They are still patenting new lens designs for Q. So it is not dead. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/311793-patent-new-q-lens.html
02-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #12
JPT
Pentaxian

Hmm. From the lack of responses, I guess it's just me going to CP+.

I'll write my impressions in a thread like I did last year. I usually get to talk to some of the Ricoh guys, so I can try to ask a few questions, but what was more interesting last year what just letting them talk about the development of the cameras.

I'll also repeat the thankless process of going round all the 3rd party lens makers and asking them about K-mount. You never know, I might find someone at the Tamron booth who knows what K-mount is this year!
02-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hmm. From the lack of responses, I guess it's just me going to CP+.

I'll write my impressions in a thread like I did last year. I usually get to talk to some of the Ricoh guys, so I can try to ask a few questions, but what was more interesting last year what just letting them talk about the development of the cameras.

I'll also repeat the thankless process of going round all the 3rd party lens makers and asking them about K-mount. You never know, I might find someone at the Tamron booth who knows what K-mount is this year!
Ask about the Tamron 35mm and 45mm and if they will be available in K-mount. After seeing the D-FA 24-70 is a re-badged Tamron, I'm curious what they are going to do. My guess is we will see more Tamron lenses being re-badged by Ricoh and these two might be the first primes.
02-14-2016, 08:43 PM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
My guess:
2016: K-1 high end FF
2017: A budget FF model. No tiltable screen, no GPS, smaller VF, smaller and lighter, still WR and Wifi, along with compact primes, limiteds?
2018: A FF sports model. Faster and better AF, faster fps, less Mp, along with long primes and a heavy duty dual battery grip.
2019: K-1 are replaced. More Mp, more lenses.
Does Ricoh or the Pentax brand seem like they are sports-oriented? I don't think we'll ever see a sports oriented body out of them..

I'm guessing we'll see more FF lenses, updated APS-C body (with trickle down from K-1), Updated digital 645 body, updated FF.. in that order.
02-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Does Ricoh or the Pentax brand seem like they are sports-oriented? I don't think we'll ever see a sports oriented body out of them..

I'm guessing we'll see more FF lenses, updated APS-C body (with trickle down from K-1), Updated digital 645 body, updated FF.. in that order.
It is a large market with crossover to outdoor wildlife. I suspect they have plans to enter that market as well. More than likely find an underserved niche and build from there.