Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2016, 04:24 AM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,537
Yokohama next week

Hi , anyone going to fly to Yokohama next week to pick up a K-1 ?

02-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #2
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,252
Well, I'm planning to be at CP+ on the Saturday, but I don't think for a second that they'll be selling K-1s there.

Is anyone else planning to go?
02-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Mistral75's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 3,003
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Well, I'm planning to be at CP+ on the Saturday, but I don't think for a second that they'll be selling K-1s there.

(...)
Who said you had to pay anything before picking one up?
02-14-2016, 09:28 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Junior Member




Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Posts: 49
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Who said you had to pay anything before picking one up?
I've started swimming right now....

02-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,041
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Well, I'm planning to be at CP+ on the Saturday, but I don't think for a second that they'll be selling K-1s there.

Is anyone else planning to go?
K1s is due to come out in two years
02-14-2016, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,801
The K-1 has been a rumor for so long its already old news. When is the replacement expected to be released?
02-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tromsų, Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 955
My guess:
2016: K-1 high end FF
2017: A budget FF model. No tiltable screen, no GPS, smaller VF, smaller and lighter, still WR and Wifi, along with compact primes, limiteds?
2018: A FF sports model. Faster and better AF, faster fps, less Mp, along with long primes and a heavy duty dual battery grip.
2019: K-1 are replaced. More Mp, more lenses.
02-14-2016, 03:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,537
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
My guess: 2016: K-1 high end FF 2017: A budget FF model. No tiltable screen, no GPS, smaller VF, smaller and lighter, still WR and Wifi, along with compact primes, limiteds? 2018: A FF sports model. Faster and better AF, faster fps, less Mp, along with long primes and a heavy duty dual battery grip. 2019: K-1 are replaced. More Mp, more lenses.
That's a possibility, although the price of FF is usually higher than APSC and the product life cycles of FF cameras are longer than APSC camera. So, I'd see this product road map more like 2016 , 2018, 2020 , and new APSC cameras in between. If Ricoh were going to release a new FF model every year, that would probably mean discontinuing the APSC product line that would be replaced by low-end FF cameras. I guess this scenario is possible as it would assure nice revenues for Ricoh imaging for at least the 5 years to come, especially because until recently, most new lenses were APSC dedicated. But that would not be very nice for people who would like to sell off their APSC lenses to buy something new.

02-14-2016, 03:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,983
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's a possibility, although the price of FF is usually higher than APSC and the product life cycles of FF cameras are longer than APSC camera. So, I'd see this product road map more like 2016 , 2018, 2020 , and new APSC cameras in between. If Ricoh were going to release a new FF model every year, that would probably mean discontinuing the APSC product line that would be replaced by low-end FF cameras. I guess this scenario is possible as it would assure nice revenues for Ricoh imaging for at least the 5 years to come, especially because until recently, most new lenses were APSC dedicated. But that would not be very nice for people who would like to sell off their APSC lenses to buy something new.
And they could lose a lot of us over time. When I told my wife that speculation about the new camera had an opening price of "only $2000", her response was "ONLY!!" The most expensive camera I've ever purchased was the Canon film camera which cost me $700 back in 1995; I know that price would be higher now, but I'm unlikely to ever buy a $2K, or even a $1K camera (we have a lot of more worthy uses for those dollars); my choices at that point would be to either buy well-used Pentax cameras or go back to Canon again.
02-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,437
Don't worry. They're running full APSc, FF and 645 lines. New APSc cameras are in the pipe. My only question is Q.
02-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #11
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,349
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Don't worry. They're running full APSc, FF and 645 lines. New APSc cameras are in the pipe. My only question is Q.
They are still patenting new lens designs for Q. So it is not dead. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/311793-patent-new-q-lens.html
02-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #12
JPT
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,252
Hmm. From the lack of responses, I guess it's just me going to CP+.

I'll write my impressions in a thread like I did last year. I usually get to talk to some of the Ricoh guys, so I can try to ask a few questions, but what was more interesting last year what just letting them talk about the development of the cameras.

I'll also repeat the thankless process of going round all the 3rd party lens makers and asking them about K-mount. You never know, I might find someone at the Tamron booth who knows what K-mount is this year!
02-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 5,801
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Hmm. From the lack of responses, I guess it's just me going to CP+.

I'll write my impressions in a thread like I did last year. I usually get to talk to some of the Ricoh guys, so I can try to ask a few questions, but what was more interesting last year what just letting them talk about the development of the cameras.

I'll also repeat the thankless process of going round all the 3rd party lens makers and asking them about K-mount. You never know, I might find someone at the Tamron booth who knows what K-mount is this year!
Ask about the Tamron 35mm and 45mm and if they will be available in K-mount. After seeing the D-FA 24-70 is a re-badged Tamron, I'm curious what they are going to do. My guess is we will see more Tamron lenses being re-badged by Ricoh and these two might be the first primes.
02-14-2016, 08:43 PM   #14
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,918
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
My guess:
2016: K-1 high end FF
2017: A budget FF model. No tiltable screen, no GPS, smaller VF, smaller and lighter, still WR and Wifi, along with compact primes, limiteds?
2018: A FF sports model. Faster and better AF, faster fps, less Mp, along with long primes and a heavy duty dual battery grip.
2019: K-1 are replaced. More Mp, more lenses.
Does Ricoh or the Pentax brand seem like they are sports-oriented? I don't think we'll ever see a sports oriented body out of them..

I'm guessing we'll see more FF lenses, updated APS-C body (with trickle down from K-1), Updated digital 645 body, updated FF.. in that order.
02-14-2016, 09:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Nelson B.C.
Posts: 3,267
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Does Ricoh or the Pentax brand seem like they are sports-oriented? I don't think we'll ever see a sports oriented body out of them..

I'm guessing we'll see more FF lenses, updated APS-C body (with trickle down from K-1), Updated digital 645 body, updated FF.. in that order.
It is a large market with crossover to outdoor wildlife. I suspect they have plans to enter that market as well. More than likely find an underserved niche and build from there.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors, week, yokohama
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Visiting Berlin next week, what to do/see? Raffwal General Talk 14 09-06-2014 07:08 PM
Full lunar eclipse could bring 'Blood Moon' next week interested_observer Photographic Technique 15 04-15-2014 02:11 PM
New Pentax Photo Samples Next Week benjikan Pentax News and Rumors 23 01-21-2008 01:46 AM
traveling for Philipines next week. devisor Photographic Technique 3 01-06-2008 10:16 PM
Next Week Singinman Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 06-04-2007 08:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:19 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top