Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2016, 08:36 AM - 3 Likes   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
robbiec's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cork, Ireland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,221
QuoteOriginally posted by iudex Quote
Oh, now I get it. In the original post I was talking about 16/85mm lens and the f5,6 referred to APSC and you talk about FF. I am of course aware that f5,6 on FF is something different (equals to f3,7 on APSC).
And I was talking about portraits with a background (environmental portraits, is it correct expression?), not studio portraits (I am not a pro with own studio), so fast lens comes handy. So letīs finish this with statement that f4 would be nicer in more ways, thatīs all.
Sometimes it is just better to stop digging...

02-15-2016, 09:45 AM - 10 Likes   #122
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: italy
Posts: 411
complain complain complain some only know how to complain...they want pentax do everything nikon and canon but at half price....that's why most people didn't buy ff camera and lenses from canon....it was money....now that pentax come out with a good proposal at very good price...the 24-70 cost less than half....they complain cause the kit zoom lens is shorter...they not even consider that probably the canikon 24-120 cost double....they want all at half price....
i expect big rant for lens af even price...

---------- Post added 02-15-2016 at 09:49 AM ----------

by the way nobody consider the huge advantage of in camera pixel shifting....or sensor adjustment composition (something that is so good to mimic a cube head from arca and something you can't do with a ball head only...so you save some good money).....or 5 axes stabilization ....i'm sure the only thing people will tell


- af ois not on par with canikon
-kit lens is slow and short
flash sync not 1/250---

bla bla bla...

stop ranting and go buy the gear you wanted from beginning...a d810....usre it will cost double considering the 24-70 but you will be happy and you will cure your complex of inferiority towards your canikon friend,
02-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #123
Pentaxian
FantasticMrFox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,146
QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
complain complain complain some only know how to complain...they want pentax do everything nikon and canon but at half price....that's why most people didn't buy ff camera and lenses from canon....it was money....now that pentax come out with a good proposal at very good price...the 24-70 cost less than half....they complain cause the kit zoom lens is shorter...they not even consider that probably the canikon 24-120 cost double....they want all at half price....
i expect big rant for lens af even price...
Exactly. You're damned if you release a stellar lens with a price point to match, you're damned if you release an affordable lens with an optical performance to match. Everything needs to be as good as or better than CaNikon, but considerably cheaper.

Pentax is dooomed
02-15-2016, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #124
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,903
QuoteOriginally posted by iudex Quote
People buy the 16-85 because of very versatile focal range, especially the wide end. If it was 18mm (or actually 18,7mm to equal to 28mm on FF), I guess nobody would buy it.
The general sentiment is that 18mm not wide enough for landscape photographers, however, for others like some of us city travellers, it probably would do just fine. Image rendering of people gets much distortion on the wide-end. For me, I would buy that lens on the FF if the image rendering is that good like the 16-85.

02-15-2016, 11:07 AM   #125
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,606
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The general sentiment is that 18mm not wide enough for landscape photographers, however, for others like some of us city travellers, it probably would do just fine. Image rendering of people gets much distortion on the wide-end. For me, I would buy that lens on the FF if the image rendering is that good like the 16-85.
I think our poster needs to visit the 24~70 club thread. Those landscapes are on an APSc sensor, and they're fabulous. Bokeh of the portraits at short end is also very nice.
02-15-2016, 11:08 AM   #126
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,012
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The general sentiment is that 18mm not wide enough for landscape photographers, however, for others like some of us city travellers, it probably would do just fine. Image rendering of people gets much distortion on the wide-end. For me, I would buy that lens on the FF if the image rendering is that good like the 16-85.
For years, whichever APS-C camera I was using, the lens that starts at 18mm has been the one which I use the most.
02-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #127
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,903
QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
- af ois not on par with canikon
-kit lens is slow and short
flash sync not 1/250---

bla bla bla...

stop ranting and go buy the gear you wanted from beginning...a d810....usre it will cost double considering the 24-70 but you will be happy and you will cure your complex of inferiority towards your canikon friend,
+10, I have yet to find a single D810 or 5DIII owner/users (I am only talking about event photographers) whose work/image that wows me that leaves me wanting for those gears.... Pentax is doomed no matter what because camera buying habit is mostly just for the gear head.
02-15-2016, 12:37 PM   #128
Pentaxian
FantasticMrFox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,146
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
+10, I have yet to find a single D810 or 5DIII owner/users (I am only talking about event photographers) whose work/image that wows me that leaves me wanting for those gears ...
I can send you a link to one right now

02-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #129
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,903
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
I can send you a link to one right now
Thanks FantasticMrFox, I will be glad to entertain... the ones I am most interested are event photos with people shots - no distortion and no white pale faces. Please PM me... and I would like to be humbled.
02-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #130
Pentaxian
FantasticMrFox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,146
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Thanks FantasticMrFox, I will be glad to entertain... the ones I am most interested are event photos with people shots - no distortion and no white pale faces. Please PM me... and I would like to be humbled.
Sorry, I misread and thought you have only seen convincing D810 results from event photographers, and would like to see others now The one I was referring to is a Swiss astrophysics postdoc who takes amazing landscape and night sky images in Latin America.
02-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,136
I just wanted it to be a constant aperture,higher end, and slightly wider 24-105 lens so it was something I'd consider buying. I'm sure it'll be good for the kit lens crowd, and far superior to the old 28-105 F and FA versions, just not what I was hoping for.

Maybe we'll see a D FA Limited WR zoom in the near future?
02-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,829
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Maybe we'll see a D FA Limited WR zoom in the near future?
Doubt it. But I'm hoping for a D FA*24-105 f/4 Though I suppose that is unlikely as well.
02-15-2016, 06:03 PM - 5 Likes   #133
Pentaxian
Heie's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 960
QuoteOriginally posted by iudex Quote
but f5,6 is f5,6; e.g. you actually cannot make portrait shots with this lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by iudex Quote
And I was talking about portraits with a background (environmental portraits, is it correct expression?), not studio portraits
QuoteOriginally posted by iudex Quote
Dont act like you donīt únderstand. I meant typical portrait with blurred background. F5,6 on APSC doesnīt really give you much of a background blur.
I've been doing it wrong this whole time

ALL THE FOLLOWING: K-5 IIs, DA 18-135 WR @ f/5.6


















PENTAX K-5 IIs, DA* 55 @ f/5.0
(will you concede one third of a stop?)
Name:  IMGP1625.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  814.2 KB


PENTAX K-5 IIs, DA* 60-250 @ f/5.6
Name:  IMGP1874.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  392.8 KB


PENTAX K-5 IIs, DA 18-135 @ f/5.6
Name:  IMGP2426.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  583.5 KB


PENTAX K-5 IIs, FA 77 LTD @ f/8.0
Name:  IMGP2655-Edit.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  540.0 KB


PENTAX K-5 IIs, DA* 16-50 @ f/7.1
Name:  IMGP3754.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  570.3 KB




QuoteOriginally posted by iudex Quote
but it wonīt be very suitable for landscapes (28mm is not wide enough)
Quite possibly my favorite landscape shot ever taken, K-3, DA* 16-50 @ 28mm:

Name:  IMGP1888-Edi2132t.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  723.2 KB

But I know...I know. You were probably referring to 28mm on FF, which would make that one 42mm on FF (which is WAY narrower!!)

I wouldn't even know where to begin with the landscapes I've shot at 18mm on APS-C (28mm on FF)...

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 02-15-2016 at 06:27 PM.
02-15-2016, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #134
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,012
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Quite possibly my favorite landscape shot ever taken:

Attachment 298909

K-3, DA* 16-50 @ 28mm.

But I know...I know. You were probably referring to 28mm on FF, which would make that one 42mm on FF (which is WAY narrower!!)
I guess I got lost on this one. Since you took this one @28mm on a K-3, you would have needed a lens @42mm to get this beautiful view on a K-1, and taking it @28mm would have given a much wider view. Is that a correct interpretation of what you were saying?

(BTW - thank you for fitting some beauty into this discussion)
02-15-2016, 08:55 PM   #135
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,519
Amazing shots @Heie
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
28mm, aperture, apsc, canon, distortion, f/2.8, f/4, f/8, f4, ff, glass, hd d-fa, k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, people, photos, pm, post, ranges, sensor, term, travel, word
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax HD D-FA 500-2500 AL WaR JimmyDranox Photographic Industry and Professionals 29 04-12-2015 05:36 PM
new HD D-FA lenses with green ring? shaolen Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 20 02-18-2015 06:56 AM
HD Pentax D-FA* 70-200 F2.8 starjedi Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 02-03-2015 10:53 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:34 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top