Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #46
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by Kharan Quote
Sure, if you don't consider that the Canon is a ten year old design, and that tens of thousands of copies have been sold, and that the price you referenced is grey market/refurb. Also, it's a stop slower, and really isn't an impressive lens, considering how large and heavy it is. Try searching for the Canon 24-70mm f/4 L IS, it'll return you to your senses.

The elephant in the room here is SIZE. The new 28-105mm looks very compact, also probably quite light, and I'd guess it'll have performance similar to the 20-40mm Ltd: unimpressive wide open, and very good a stop down the road. If the lens really shapes out to be small and light, then I'll salute Pentax for really sticking to their philosophy of compactness.

PS: primes don't count. You can argue for primes all you want, but many people just need a versatile zoom with WR to travel. Changing lenses is simply absurd in some environments, and it isn't like WR primes are abundant in the line-up, either.
WHAT?? Canon 24-105mm F4 is not impressive, large, and heavy? It's a greatest I ever used!

02-14-2016, 05:28 PM - 5 Likes   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I reckon anyone with a post tally of less than say 250 or a minimum of 3 years forum membership or lower than 50 likes should not be allowed to have an opinion on the news & rumours section.
This lens is the gateway drug equivalent to Pentax FF goodness. If they've taken the DA16-85 and supersized it then it may well be pretty damn good! Use it before writing it off.
02-14-2016, 05:31 PM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I reckon anyone with a post tally of less than say 250 or a minimum of 3 years forum membership or lower than 50 likes should not be allowed to have an opinion on the news & rumours section.
I fit 2 out of 3 of those requirements can I have an opinion?
02-14-2016, 05:33 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Any one 'of' will do

It's going to be like the K-5 days all over again. New bunch of muppets jumping over from the other brands and comparing everything to where they came from. "oh Pentax must have everything from 8mm to 1200mm to compete" or "why can't I have a 135 f/1.4?" "Im a pro and need it"

Besides, you could probably do 2 out of 3 in a week from scratch if you really tried. Review some lens, accessories, camera bodies, post at everything and anything. Start an argument with Norm... Good to go

Last edited by robbiec; 02-14-2016 at 05:49 PM.
02-14-2016, 05:47 PM   #50
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
WHAT?? Canon 24-105mm F4 is not impressive, large, and heavy? It's a greatest I ever used!
I said it is large and heavy, but not impressive. Chalk it up to my copy, or the 6D, but I find my Olympus 12-60mm SWD quite a bit better, especially wide open. When I had it, I finally understood that much of the praise heaped on that lens is due to how old the design is (and so are the reviews) - the AF isn't really "silent" or "lightning-quick", the build is good, but not fantastic, and the IS seems outdated now. It still can produce excellent IQ at f/8, and great portraits on FF at 105mm and f/4, but for me it isn't worth the hassle. There are much better zooms, including the much-maligned Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 (that's a DAMN SHARP lens at f/8), that are lighter and smaller.
02-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I said it is large and heavy, but not impressive. Chalk it up to my copy, or the 6D, but I find my Olympus 12-60mm SWD quite a bit better, especially wide open. When I had it, I finally understood that much of the praise heaped on that lens is due to how old the design is (and so are the reviews) - the AF isn't really "silent" or "lightning-quick", the build is good, but not fantastic, and the IS seems outdated now. It still can produce excellent IQ at f/8, and great portraits on FF at 105mm and f/4, but for me it isn't worth the hassle. There are much better zooms, including the much-maligned Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 (that's a DAMN SHARP lens at f/8), that are lighter and smaller.
Of course it is lighter and smaller. Constant f-stop always costs weight and size, and people are constantly using that as a strawman to "prove" something that otherwise would be hard to "prove".
02-14-2016, 06:11 PM   #52
rlatjsrud

24-105mm F4 is still small and light. And I don't understand why this lens's wide open sharpness isn't good? I'm using 5d mark 3 btw.

02-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
If they've taken the DA16-85 and supersized it then it may well be pretty damn good! Use it before writing it off.
+10. I have hoped for a 24-105 f/4 and said so several places. I also hoped the 16-85 would be f/4 and said if it was not I probably would not buy it. But I broke down and got it and I'm completely satisfied with the image quality. If the 28-105 is as good it will be just fine. So while I still WANT a 24-105 f/4 I am sure I can get by with a 28-105 variable and some primes. I do not think the 24-70 is for me, I rarely use f/2.8 and I would rather not carry the weight.

I am going to be extremely curious how well my Pentax-F 24-50 f/4 performs.
02-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #54
Veteran Member

any idea on the lens design? It might be just an updated version of the FA..

But pro or not, another pentax lens is always a welcome addirion
02-14-2016, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

While a lot of people are complaining, this lens is good news.
Firstly, it was on the roadmap for some time now, right? So it was expected.
Secondly, it shows Pentax' commitment to K-mount. K-mount needs a full lineup, from superzoom to "pro" zooms, and everything in between.
Variable aperture is no longer a sign of terribly IQ. It makes sense for many lens designs.

Sure, this lens is not for everybody. But it is for many. Its the 17-70mm of FF - often not the first choice, but still quite popular range
02-14-2016, 06:21 PM - 2 Likes   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlatjsrud Quote
I'm using 5d mark 3 btw.
Are you considering changing over to Pentax then? Would be interesting to see a non-biased comparison once you get the K-1.

---------- Post added 02-14-16 at 05:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Secondly, it shows Pentax' commitment to K-mount. K-mount needs a full lineup, from superzoom to "pro" zooms, and everything in between. Variable aperture is no longer a sign of terribly IQ. It makes sense for many lens designs. Sure, this lens is not for everybody. But it is for many. Its the 17-70mm of FF - often not the first choice, but still quite popular range
Well, 17-70 is f/4 but you make a good point. If Pentax intends to be the player they have said they want to be they need three ranges of lenses: 'Pro' f/2.8 zooms, 'prosumer' f/4 zooms and 'consumer' variable aperture zooms. The names (pro/prosumer/consumer) might not be accurate as many 'pros' have no need of the f/2.8 but still want good glass, so perhaps three price ranges is a better term.
Anyway, if they are to have three ranges they need to start somewhere and having nothing at all but expensive f/2.8 zooms is perhaps not a good plan in the short term.
02-14-2016, 06:29 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Secondly, it shows Pentax' commitment to K-mount. K-mount needs a full lineup, from superzoom to "pro" zooms, and everything in between.
Variable aperture is no longer a sign of terribly IQ. It makes sense for many lens designs.

Sure, this lens is not for everybody. But it is for many.
Exactly. I understand the virtues of a constant aperture zoom--I think we all do. This lens would be a hard sell for me personally, as I'm more of a prime guy. My only zooms currently are the 20-40 Ltd and HD 55-300, recently purchased. But I bought them KNOWING how I shoot and what I want.

By the way, where are all the equivalistas saying "Actually, this is a f/2.6-4.9 lens in APS-C terms."?
02-14-2016, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #58
mee
Veteran Member

Sure, this lens is not for everybody. But it is for many. Its the 17-70mm of FF - often not the first choice, but still quite popular range

Right.. its a cheap kit lens. Some of you need to understand it for what it is.

It isn't a 24-105 f/4 because it isn't trying to be a 24-105 f/4

It is trying to be a cheap, kit lens and it has succeeded.
02-14-2016, 06:33 PM   #59
rlatjsrud

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Are you considering changing over to Pentax then? Would be interesting to see a non-biased comparison once you get the K-1.

---------- Post added 02-14-16 at 05:26 PM ----------

Well, 17-70 is f/4 but you make a good point. If Pentax intends to be the player they have said they want to be they need three ranges of lenses: 'Pro' f/2.8 zooms, 'prosumer' f/4 zooms and 'consumer' variable aperture zooms. The names (pro/prosumer/consumer) might not be accurate as many 'pros' have no need of the f/2.8 but still want good glass, so perhaps three price ranges is a better term.
Anyway, if they are to have three ranges they need to start somewhere and having nothing at all but expensive f/2.8 zooms is perhaps not a good plan in the short term.
Nope, I'm gonna use both Pentax and Canon for now.
02-14-2016, 06:36 PM - 1 Like   #60
Veteran Member

Well, Pentax is releasing a FF soon, has already released a 24-70 f/2.8 for it and is about to throw a 70-200 f/2.8 and 15-30 f/2.8 on the market. So I don't really think this lens was required to show commitment to K-mount