Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 109 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 02:24 PM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So I'm kind of a nobody on this forum (we've got a lot of folks that I think are experts in this field, and I'm really okay with my place on the pecking order, as I know I have a lot to learn) so take this critique with a grain of margarita salt, but I find your post odd. Here goes;

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
I'm one of the "complainers" but my reasoning is different. I want Rioch to do things different from Canikon!

Why flood the market with the same old 24-70mm, 70-200mm, and looks like they want to be "different" releasing a 15-30. Heck, only one of them is a FDA* and that to me is even strange.. How can we copy Canikon now if we have a weak attempt at emulating their holy trinity...
By working with existing Tamron products, like it or not, there's not a lot of focal length flexibility Ricoh/Pentax has available to them. And these aren't shabby lenses, they review very well on other platforms, and I hope that R/P has the attention to detail and quality control to make them very well received. That 24-70 seems quite interesting to me and I'm staying with APS-C for years to come. And if R/P move so many lenses that the market becomes "flooded" then I'd say they did the right thing. I welcome a flood of these units making it to paying customers hands!

Instead, why not be DIFFERENT and bring back classic primes. 31mm, 43mm, 77mm were a hit with film... and when you re-release them, don't fudge them up like what these current new Tamron rebadges look like. External design to me also says a lot about the "personality" of the brand and these new lenses are offensively boring and almost taking a page from Fuji's lenses.
This is a WAG on my part but I doubt many folks that really know 31, 43, and 77 want them touched. And messing with them now won't make them cheaper unless they start working real cost-out exercises on them. Who wants that? The 31 especially, to me, seems like it will get a new lease on life. And the guy that can front for a K-1 will probably be more able to or more interested in paying the premium for this lens vs. the guy that's excited to get his new K-30. This isn't to knock K-30 owners, it's just a difference in product placement and customer, and I bought my K-5 II used so it's not like I can pull much rank here.

All I am saying is you can't flood the market, especially, especially with what Canikon has seen before. Ricoh needs to shake things up dramatically if they expect to make some noise coming in late to the party...
True to a point but I don't think you can really rock the boat and have people buying a camera with fewer new lenses available and R/P had to get a lens collection out to match this thing. Between that and the rest of the still-in-production full frame lenses, I think the K-1 has a better chance in the market.

To me, this is phase 1; get the product family out there on the street for real purchase. The second phase, if I got what I wanted, was a focus back to primes and that DA12-28 that's been mentioned before that keep sliding, to get things a little better for the APS-C guys. Maybe a nice fast prime in the 20's like I've been wanting and go from there. It seems like now is a good time for patience and see what develops.

02-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #152

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
So I'm kind of a nobody on this forum (we've got a lot of folks that I think are experts in this field, and I'm really okay with my place on the pecking order, as I know I have a lot to learn) so take this critique with a grain of margarita salt, but I find your post odd. Here goes;

By working with existing Tamron products, like it or not, there's not a lot of focal length flexibility Ricoh/Pentax has available to them. And these aren't shabby lenses, they review very well on other platforms, and I hope that R/P has the attention to detail and quality control to make them very well received. That 24-70 seems quite interesting to me and I'm staying with APS-C for years to come. And if R/P move so many lenses that the market becomes "flooded" then I'd say they did the right thing. I welcome a flood of these units making it to paying customers hands!

This is a WAG on my part but I doubt many folks that really know 31, 43, and 77 want them touched. And messing with them now won't make them cheaper unless they start working real cost-out exercises on them. Who wants that? The 31 especially, to me, seems like it will get a new lease on life. And the guy that can front for a K-1 will probably be more able to or more interested in paying the premium for this lens vs. the guy that's excited to get his new K-30. This isn't to knock K-30 owners, it's just a difference in product placement and customer, and I bought my K-5 II used so it's not like I can pull much rank here.

True to a point but I don't think you can really rock the boat and have people buying a camera with fewer new lenses available and R/P had to get a lens collection out to match this thing. Between that and the rest of the still-in-production full frame lenses, I think the K-1 has a better chance in the market.

To me, this is phase 1; get the product family out there on the street for real purchase. The second phase, if I got what I wanted, was a focus back to primes and that DA12-28 that's been mentioned before that keep sliding, to get things a little better for the APS-C guys. Maybe a nice fast prime in the 20's like I've been wanting and go from there. It seems like now is a good time for patience and see what develops.
All Valid points. Granted, I wouldn't want the FA limiteds touched as well. However, I do think that if they are going to come out with the 24-70mm and 70-200mm they need to be a step ahead in quality. That is why I find it weird that one is a FDA* and the other is just a DFA lens...

All dislikes aside, I will continue to comment on how ugly these lenses look until Ricoh brings back the design elements that made lenses unique and personalized to Pentax aka not Tamron looking rebadges.

They've started to listen by not making new HD lenses red ringed. Thank God! Now it's time to bring back the look of the DA and DA* designs. Do that and I will be a much happier camper even if I am that complainer who won't be able to afford the new FF until maybe a year after it's release.
02-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #153
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Pentax letters are also red. But the green is a nice fresh colour. Nikon has tacky gold. Blue is up for grabs since Samsung stopped though.
Blue was Schneider Kreuznach's distinctive colour well before being selected by Samsung, which also used the Schneider name under license for some of their lenses, e.g. the lenses of Samsung SR-4000 (film SLR) or the Pentax-rebranded lenses they sold with their GX-1S, GX-1L, GX-10 and GX-20.

A somewhat different blue is used by Zeiss.
02-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #154
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All Valid points. Granted, I wouldn't want the FA limiteds touched as well. However, I do think that if they are going to come out with the 24-70mm and 70-200mm they need to be a step ahead in quality. That is why I find it weird that one is a FDA* and the other is just a DFA lens...

All dislikes aside, I will continue to comment on how ugly these lenses look until Ricoh brings back the design elements that made lenses unique and personalized to Pentax aka not Tamron looking rebadges.

They've started to listen by not making new HD lenses red ringed. Thank God! Now it's time to bring back the look of the DA and DA* designs. Do that and I will be a much happier camper even if I am that complainer who won't be able to afford the new FF until maybe a year after it's release.
No disagreement on these lenses looking kind of mass-market. I just don't know which lens out of the past Pentax offerings would be better, and it's not my call. I still think that a lot of Pentax lenses over the years were not that pretty to look at; the 31mm in black may be my favorite from the last few decades.

02-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #155
Pentaxian

The Fs and FAs looked very much mass-market...
02-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #156
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I reckon anyone with a post tally of less than say 250 or a minimum of 3 years forum membership or lower than 50 likes should not be allowed to have an opinion on the news & rumours section.
This lens is the gateway drug equivalent to Pentax FF goodness. If they've taken the DA16-85 and supersized it then it may well be pretty damn good! Use it before writing it off.
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Any one 'of' will do

It's going to be like the K-5 days all over again. New bunch of muppets jumping over from the other brands and comparing everything to where they came from. "oh Pentax must have everything from 8mm to 1200mm to compete" or "why can't I have a 135 f/1.4?" "Im a pro and need it"

Besides, you could probably do 2 out of 3 in a week from scratch if you really tried. Review some lens, accessories, camera bodies, post at everything and anything. Start an argument with Norm... Good to go
I was going to say something similar but was, at the same time, afraid to open a can of worms.
You had more guts than I with those posts !
02-16-2016, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #157
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Pentax letters are also red. But the green is a nice fresh colour. Nikon has tacky gold. Blue is up for grabs since Samsung stopped though.
Pentax Star lenses have a gold ring. I think they should keep the red rings on the HD limiteds, at least. And I think it looks good on my 16-85, too.

02-17-2016, 10:46 AM   #158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax 28-105 is the new comparatively inexpensive "Kit Lens" for the K-1, obviously.

If it comes in a kit at a good price it might be a sensible buy, if its WR and HD, if not a tempting price, body only for me.
02-17-2016, 10:49 AM - 1 Like   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Pentax Star lenses have a gold ring. I think they should keep the red rings on the HD limiteds, at least. And I think it looks good on my 16-85, too.
Green is Pentax, so by default better.
02-17-2016, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #160
ogl
Banned

02-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #161
Veteran Member

This lens looks to be very well balanced for the K-1.
02-17-2016, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #162
Pentaxian

Even a bit better than HD DA 16-85 on K-3
02-17-2016, 02:50 PM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Tamron SP AF 24-135mm f3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical [IF] is looking better and better as a kit lens for the K-1!
02-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #164
Veteran Member

Now on SRS (UK) website...

Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Lens

£549.00

Availability: Coming Soon

Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Lens

Pentax HD PENTAX-D FA 15-30mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Lens

£1,499.00

Availability: Coming Soon

http://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/pentax-hd-pentax-d-fa-15-30mm-f2-8-ed-sdm-wr-lens.html
02-19-2016, 11:47 AM   #165
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Blue was Schneider Kreuznach's distinctive colour well before being selected by Samsung, which also used the Schneider name under license for some of their lenses, e.g. the lenses of Samsung SR-4000 (film SLR) or the Pentax-rebranded lenses they sold with their GX-1S, GX-1L, GX-10 and GX-20.

A somewhat different blue is used by Zeiss.
Blue is used by Olympus for all their current M. Zuiko zooms, and also for former HG four thirds zooms. I'd say it's not the best choice. Orange, brown, and violet remain unused, as well as very light shades of all colors (except gold, that's for Tokina).