Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2016, 06:07 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh Patent: In-camera user registration

Ricoh has filed another patent about having a function to register a camera with the manufacturer from an interface in the camera when connected to a smartphone. The blogger supposes this will enable automatic updating of firmware and talks about the pros and cons of that.

Japanese Ricoh ??????????????????????????????So-net???
English https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://egami.blog.so-ne...p/&prev=search

I think this patent is quite interesting, in that it seems like Ricoh is thinking of making cameras more autonomous, at least in enabling you to register for and download firmware updates without using a traditional computer.

I've been suggesting that the K-1 screen is designed that way for a touch interface. I think this kind of research points in that direction.

02-15-2016, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ugh, I reckon this is something most Pentaxians would not appreciate. Hopefully it can be disabled without constant, annoying reminders popping up

Last edited by Na Horuk; 02-15-2016 at 08:05 AM.
02-15-2016, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think there is a lot more functionality here beyond firmware updates... particularly with GPS enabled gear.

Adding features valuable to a new segment help grow market share. Imagine a camera that is bricked when reported stolen by the owner... Theft is a growing problem with Pro Segment.

This from the recent PanAm games

Not everyone is as daft as this guy

I currently subscribe to Lenstag.com - It would be nice to have that sort of functionality employed by a Mfgr instead of a third party.
02-15-2016, 06:25 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I can't read the Japanese and the English machine translation isn't clear, but the last sentence (But even if there is a problem with the camera, so do not be worse than now to be farm up, it might be better to farm up was avoided just before shooting) might mean a long-needed feature that allows recovery from a failed firmware update. No more bricked cameras. All products that allow firmware updates should have a way to revert to the factory software settings if things go horribly wrong. Some PC motherboards include a BIOS backup.

Can anyone who reads Japanese clarify?

Overall, I'm not opposed to remote firmware updates as long as it can be easily disabled. No one wants to go out shooting and have their camera freeze while downloading updates. (I dislike the fact that such minor ideas can be patented, but that's a lengthy discussion for another time.)

02-15-2016, 06:47 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

^^ Tesla updates their cars that way.
02-15-2016, 07:46 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Cool, this would make a lot of sense for the Theta, which could get new features this way. The camera pretty much depends on a smartphone, anyway

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-15-2016, 09:24 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I don't want to be "notified"... nor tracked...
As Deadjohn states, a really smart thing is to allow disabling of that function
Gives you the choice to be contacted or not, when you choose that.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 02-15-2016 at 09:37 PM.