Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #286
Kiwi Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Wow, tantalizing possibility. The possibility of marketing RED cameras with new Pentax-branded lenses would go quite a long way toward bringing the brand back to prominence....
Not to mention the equally tantalizing possibility of marketing beautifully anodized and refurbished old Pentax-branded lenses for use on RED cameras

Last edited by NZ_Ross; 02-16-2016 at 03:08 PM. Reason: spelling
02-16-2016, 02:06 PM   #287
Marketplace Reseller

Touche!
02-16-2016, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #288
Site Supporter

Haven't followed up on this one..will ask them
02-16-2016, 02:31 PM   #289
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Aside from it's slightly faster flash sync speed, I wonder if the K-1 will introduce other flash improvements which would be useful for pros.

An in-built 2.4GHz P-TTL flash controller would be nice. There seems to be room in the K-1 hump for that. Plus a new flash to support RF wireless P-TTL. Or a new wireless receiver to allow control of existing P-TTL flashes.

02-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #290
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
An in-built 2.4GHz P-TTL flash controller would be nice. There seems to be room in the K-1 hump for that. Plus a new flash to support RF wireless P-TTL. Or a new wireless receiver to allow control of existing P-TTL flashes.
I've been hoping for that sort of thing ever since the K-3ii caused so much commotion because of its lack of an OBF. (I'm also hoping that new prism housing is placed on all new Pentax DSLR's to provide a unique visual identity for the brand - and it would be nice for the contents to also be propagated down the line)
02-16-2016, 03:13 PM   #291
Pentaxian

I dream of this! Not only in K-1, but in K-3 successor as well... Support for RF TTL flash control, even in its most basic form, is the only thing that sometime makes me want a Nikon or Canon.
02-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #292
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Originally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote What happened with that rumour that Ricoh was about to buy RED?? I believe the source was Kenspo (I don't remember). Indeed kenspo was the one. QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote Ricoh is after buying RED..might be a connection here. But i can't confirm, cause no one wants to talk about this bit. So this info is from others..
Oh please please please please please!

If pentax had good video, oh my goodness. I know it doesn't matter to a lot of people here, but video is a big part of what I enjoy doing. I use a Canon G30 for video, because I can't stand using the Pentax - but under good, carefully controlled conditions the pentax is fine. I don't have any desire to get the FF, but it had really good video from collaboration with RED, that would easily change. And, hopefully, more 3rd party Rokinon cine lens support.

Last edited by Imp; 02-16-2016 at 03:46 PM.
02-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #293

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The number of frames for a battery charge are measured according to the CIPA methodology, which includes using flash for 50% of the images.
Wait a minute... that might explain the difference. Now I'm no longer convinced the K-1 is more power efficient than the lower resolution (but faster fps) K-3.
So a CIPA measuremente is not possible with the K-1, having no flash then it's not within the parameters for testing, or how would that work? Is there another set of parameters for testing cameras without flash? I guess then that comparing the K-3 and the K-1 is apples to oranges (on battery life).

02-16-2016, 06:07 PM   #294
Loyal Site Supporter

Aside from it's slightly faster flash sync speed, I wonder if the K-1 will introduce other flash improvements which would be useful for pros.

A wireless controller would be very nice. Support for a leaf lens and producing a couple of leaf lenses would be even better. I kind of wish they would buy Paul C. Buff and get into the strobe business.
02-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #295
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I kind of wish they would buy Paul C. Buff and get into the strobe business.
Ricoh could also buy RED and bring specialized Cine equipment to the people who want it.
02-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #296
Imp
Pentaxian

I feel I need to repeat myself because my soul pines for this so badly... if even the next aps-c had amazing video, i'd not hesitate to buy it. Otherwise I'm content with my K-30, until that dream camera comes out...

02-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #297

Buy RED and let Pentax for pro still only is a great choice. After the "democratization" of full HD, cinema-like filmmaking (mostly with the Canon 5D, and now will almost every DSLR), brands like RED, arri, are making more affordable gear. And now there's blackmagic, kine raw mini, etc. IMHO sony A7 is for prosumer market, and I dont know where this market is going, but is not going DSLR.

I would love the K1 to have a good video, but I also love that is a PHOTOGRAPHY camera, not a "all in one" solution. Anyway, fullHD 60p (not 60i) is great and enough for me....at the moment.

It is true that all the legacy lenses, specially the takumars, are just amazing for filmmaking. The 3 filmmakers that work with me, have canon, but all of them have a couple of takumar, and even smc pentax, all with k mount adapters since you dont need AF for filmmaking.

Last edited by Enrique S Toso; 02-16-2016 at 07:34 PM.
02-16-2016, 09:07 PM   #298
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
Was wondering if I'd see a lot of difference for the crop mode. Since I'm used to a K-5 IIs, I'd not see much difference.
Might be a different story for those used to K-3's for birding. Thanks!
I know there has been a lot of speculation (anticipation?) that K-3 owners will sell their camera bodies in droves to buy the FF. I would be more inclined to keep mine to use with APS-C telephoto lenses and save the primes for the FF, especially given the price of the DFA zooms. Given the FPS on the FF vs. the K-3 it would make more sense. A used K-3 is only garnering between $400 - $500 used now. Not worth abandoning a great 24 megapixel APS-C camera for that amount of money. I'd rather just wait a little longer and have both
02-16-2016, 09:17 PM   #299
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
FWIW, I'm in for the K-1.
Haha I hope so, I vividly remember your motivational posts years ago reminding us that Ricoh has a plan and we will be happy. Now it's your turn to say I told you so.

Though can this forum really be happy? #pentaxisdoomed.
02-16-2016, 09:28 PM   #300
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
#pentaxisdoomed.
That's worth repeating.....Catch the misprint? Otis was drinking (again), but if you like the T-shirt, he is selling them at 1/2 price!