Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 08:07 PM - 2 Likes   #511
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Winder actually is a reasonable critic. I read and appreciate his comments, though in the end we often disagree, in many things we are closer than I would have thought at first.

However, beyond the academic notion that we want some professionals to adopt the camera because it helps keep the brand alive, whoever else shoots K-1 has no impact on me. What features exist on some other camera aren't important. This is primarily a really good camera for people who already use Pentax.

I am currently in negotiations.

02-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #512
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Is that because your A7 II only has 24 of them? :-D

That 'first whiner' prize another member awarded you ... it needs to be framed, in glass, and sent to you.

Do stay on hold while we get your contact details!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/314236-have-you-pre-ordere...ml#post3535029
No. If I wanted more mega-pickles I would buy the A7rII. For wedding and portrait work I really don't need more than 24MP. I spend more time brushing skin than I want already.

If my comments about "what specifications are Jaw dropping" is considered whining, then fine. Kenspro said some of the specs were "jaw dropping" and I don't see anything jaw dropping about it. Ricoh has rolled out a great camera for a great price, but it is less than I expected.

Have I preordered? No. I will wait to see how the AF performs. Like I said. That is the most important feature for me. I have had the K-7, the K-5, & currently the K-3. I will probably buy the K-1 because of my LTD glass.
02-17-2016, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #513
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I am currently in negotiations.
with...Finance Minister, Retailer,...?
02-17-2016, 08:22 PM   #514
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I will guess with his wife in order to pre-order the K-1.

02-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #515
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I have had the K-7, the K-5, & currently the K-3. I will probably buy the K-1 because of my LTD glass.
The only reason is your limited lenses? they work just fine on the K7,K5 and K3 don't they?
02-17-2016, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #516
Loyal Site Supporter

I think kenspo is a bit overwhelmed by the attention he has received and doesn't fully understand colloquial English. I also sense a tiny hint that he's a bit underwhelmed. From my perspective this camera Is a jaw-dropping value and has every feature I want. Sorry the video users are disappointed but anyone should have known in advance they would be.

Motion Controllable Pixel Shift is what he was talking about. We won't know what it is for a few days. It's a shame so many people are calling him out over two words in one single post.
02-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #517
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Yes, No.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I will guess with his wife in order to pre-order the K-1.
02-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #518
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The only reason is your limited lenses? they work just fine on the K7,K5 and K3 don't they?
AF improvements mainly. Lenses worked fine.

02-17-2016, 08:27 PM - 2 Likes   #519
Pentaxian

The sub $2000 full frames compromise by having lower resolution. Ricoh has produced a high resolution body under $2k. All the flaws and failings of the Sony full frame were immaterial at $1600.

I've not decided yet, but there is a good chance I will get this. Last summer I was finding the 500mm too long, not sure why, possibly being better at being close. I yearn for a fast 400mm. Now I can get close to that, with high resolution and lots of other things like electronic shutter in live view.

24m full frame doesn't interest me in the least. I want clean high resolution. The low resolution bodies sold well and were popular because they were affordable.

The frame rate is a bit slow, but haven't seen afc rates.

But the price. I could wait for most of a year for an apsc upgrade, it will depend on how good the af is. This may open up different avenues of photography, landscape for example.

Not an automatic buy, but the price is very compelling.

In a way this offering reminds me of when I was looking for an office printer. Something that would do larger format paper. I don't need color, simply a workhorse. There are lots on the market, most would work well. I found a Ricoh model that was less than half the price, with all the necessary features. The reviews were characterized by people getting, setting up and forgetting as the machine reliably and economically did what was expected. When Pentax talks Pro market they are talking about people who need solid performers that just work at a good price. They will sell two of these to people who have wanted a second body but couldn't justify $6k. That is the professional market they understand, thd same things that characterize the tools I use. Reasonably priced, reliable and designed to do it's job well.
02-17-2016, 08:36 PM   #520
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
...It's a shame so many people are calling him out over two words in one single post.
It's said that Roger Casement was hanged for the want of a comma...
02-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #521
Loyal Site Supporter

I think kenspo is a bit overwhelmed by the attention he has received and doesn't fully understand colloquial English. I also sense a tiny hint that he's a bit underwhelmed. From my perspective this camera Is a jaw-dropping value and has every feature I want. Sorry the video users are disappointed but anyone should have known in advance they would be.

Motion Controllable Pixel Shift is what he was talking about. We won't know what it is for a few days. It's a shame so many people are calling him out over two words in one single post.
Not trying to call him out. I made the statement about "jaw dropping" because I assumed I missed something big in the specs.

The motion controllable Pixel Shift might be amazing, but we need to see how it works and the limitations. There are a lot of features that look good on paper (like mega-pickles), but aren't really that important for most people. The pixel shift in the K-3II requires a tri-pod, continuous lighting (not strobes) and a perfectly still subject. That is a lot of limitations. Will the new system work with flash? That would be huge. The 36MP sensor already produces excellent images that print really big. How big do I need to print to see the improvements of the new pixel shift technology? The selectable AA filter on my K-3 is probably really cool technology. I have never turned in on and never had an issue with moire. The image quality of the K-1 is going to be excellent with or without pixel shift.
02-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #522
bxf
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Pentax need to save in some areas to keep aggressive pricing, USB2 may be one of the more obvious simplifications. For me no USB, USB2 or USB3 does not matter.
I came across the following somewhere:

The difference between USB 2.0 -3.0 Interface IC is minimal, roughly 70-90 cents

I'm sure that at the retail level the above translates to more than the numbers indicate. I've seen other cases in the past where pennies are saved at the manufacturing level in order to keep retail prices down.
02-17-2016, 08:47 PM   #523
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Update: Official specs have been posted
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/314043-full-k-1-spec-list.html

Here are the full specs of the K-1.

??????K-1??????? - ????info

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://digicame-info.co...ml&prev=search

- 36.4MP CMOS sensor. No low pass filter.
- Real resolution (pixel shift)
- Image processing engine PRIME IV
- Sensor Size: 35.9 x 24.0mm
- Video is full HD 60p
- 4K interval movie
- 14-bit RAW
- DR II
- KAF2 mount (KAF3, KAF2, KAF, KA, compatible with power zoom lens)
- AF sensor SAFOX12. AF point is 33 points (25 points are cross-type). -3EV Correspondence
- AF assist light
- Viewfinder magnification 0.70 times. 100% field of view
- Natural-Bright-Matte III focusing screen
- LCD monitor 3.2 inches 1,037,000 dot. Flexible tilting
- GPS built-in. Wi-Fi built-in
- Shutter unit of the compact new design. Durability is 300,000 shots
- Shutter speed is 30 seconds -1/8000 seconds. Synchro speed is 1/200 sec
- Media SD / SDHC / SDXC (UHS-I). Dual card slot
- USB terminal (USB2.0, micro B), HDMI terminal (type D)
- Microphone jack, a headphone jack, X contact
- 5-axis camera shake correction. Effective for five stops.
- Electronic Level
- Photometry sensor 86000 pixel RGB sensor
- ISO range is 100-204800
- Continuous shooting 4.4 frames / sec (full size). 6.5 frames / sec. (APS-C)
- Buffer 70 shots JPEG, 17 shots RAW (when full-size 4.4 frames / sec.)
- The battery is D-LI90
- Battery life is 760 shots
- The body is magnesium alloy and stainless steel. Dust and water resistant. -10 Degrees of resistance to low temperature
- Size: 136.5 x110 x 85.5mm
- Weight: 925g
I know I will come across as the bad guy for saying this but, I can't help but feel let down with the release of the K-1. That said, I guess the upside is that the following Pentax FF camera's will only get better as time goes on.

PS. I don't know if I'm the only person who remembers, but in the days of the K series introduction, I recall thinking that Pentax would one day reach a milestone by delivering a K-1 flagship camera that would put fear into all of the other camera manufacturers.
02-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #524
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
will guess with his wife in order to pre-order the K-1.
...thank god I'm single...
02-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #525
Loyal Site Supporter

@winder. Yes, as usual for the Forum we have sliced and diced the camera before the doors are even open on the booth 'hold and try' area, much less burning a couple thousand images.