Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #556
cih

Photos: Albums
I am most excited about the Astro tracer feature in this camera. Its clever implementation using sensor shift and GPS would remove the star trails and allow for longer exposures.

Wide angle lenses typically handle this issue better. Now, with the full frame capability, my widest lenses on Pentax would be 1.5 times wider.

Plus the higher ISO capabilities of this camera would remove the graininess from my pictures. Like the one featured here that keeps annoying me. A click is worth a billion stars … | Road Trips, Adventures, Homestays and More
Overall for Astrophotography and for its price it seems to be a steal.

02-18-2016, 12:58 AM - 2 Likes   #557
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the Pentax site sums up what this camera is about...

“For better or for worse, today’s industrial products are very refined, whether it’s a camera or car,” he says. “I believe, however, that the PENTAX K-1 offers something beyond explanation. It integrates the different values and demands of many users. Consequently, it embodies elements of both praise and criticism. But all these elements are interlinked with one another to create a single entity called the PENTAX K-1. I think that’s what makes this camera so interesting, and what excites every Pentaxian.”
02-18-2016, 01:40 AM   #558

Sorry if this has already been shared / known, but has anyone seen the new expanded website

PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

Looks much more 'serious' than parts of the teaser campaign.
02-18-2016, 02:13 AM   #559
Pentaxian

So no more interchangeable focus screens. The price you pay for having a black LCD rectangle in the APS-C mode view. As if tunnel vision vignette wasn't enough.

02-18-2016, 03:17 AM - 6 Likes   #560
Kiwi Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
So no more interchangeable focus screens. The price you pay for having a black LCD rectangle in the APS-C mode view. As if tunnel vision vignette wasn't enough.
Mate........

Hop on a plane and come down to NZ. It is summer here. The sun is shining. It is warm. The people are friendly. The days are long.

And great news today - Pentax have announced a new full frame camera. It has great spec's and is very reasonably priced.

02-18-2016, 04:06 AM   #561

So no more interchangeable focus screens.
interesting. source please?

As if tunnel vision vignette wasn't enough.
what is "tunnel vision vignette"?
02-18-2016, 04:16 AM   #562
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
Smallprint in the middle of page 4 - 'The focusing screen is fixed on the camera body, and is not interchangeable.'
02-18-2016, 04:16 AM - 2 Likes   #563
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote

what is "tunnel vision vignette"?
Who cares..... there's a K1 party happening at Ross's place in New Zealand!

02-18-2016, 04:25 AM   #564
Pentaxian

So you complaining because you don't have to pay add-on cost for additional screen mattes as they are all simulated by the HUD.??

Some people will never be happy !

Luddites the lot of you

Out of curiosity how many screens did you buy for your k5,k3,k3ii etc etc

The only people who should be pxssed is katseye and co who's business model has just been obliterated.

Of cause you wont be able to reto fit non standard split prism mattes then send you camera for service because exposure is way off .... lmfao
02-18-2016, 04:31 AM   #565
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
So you complaining because you don't have to pay add-on cost for additional screen mattes as they are all simulated by the HUD.??

Some people will never be happy !

Luddites the lot of you
All the 'HUD' does is to show you a black rectangle and two level gauge bars which, knowing Pentax, won't be accurate anyhow. Pentax stock focus screens are traditionally useless with fast manual focus lenses.

---------- Post added 18-02-16 at 11:35 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Out of curiosity how many screens did you buy for your k5,k3,k3ii etc etc
I have a cut-down Canon Ee-S in both my K bodies.
02-18-2016, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #566
Pentaxian

Haters gonna hate.
02-18-2016, 04:48 AM   #567
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the 'HUD' does is to show you a black rectangle and two level gauge bars which, knowing Pentax, won't be accurate anyhow.
My, aren't we in a sour mood? Go on, then, and find something else that does what you want at the same price. Or stick with APS-C. Or go back to film and buy yourself an LX.
02-18-2016, 04:57 AM   #568
Pentaxian

In a Canon 5DIII you "can't" change the focus screen as well and it also has the overlay.
"Can't" isn't something I believe before trying.

Took me 2 minutes to put the same EE-S type focussing screen into my 5DIII as I use in the K-3II.

For people who want something there is always a way to get there.
Ok, we can start whining and stomp on the floor instead of taking responsibility ourselves, but that's not my preferred way.
02-18-2016, 05:51 AM   #569
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Really? AF is the only important criterion? AF-C may be lacking compared to the best, but not ever pro job requires great AF tracking, if at all. Are no other attributes that may may the camera desirable for some?
Yes. AF is what pushed Canon to the front and why Pentax fell behind. Sure there are small groups who have specific needs like macro who don't really need AF, but for mass market success it needs competitive AF. The sensor have become generic. The image processors are basically all the same. IQ is excellent from any camera manufacturer.
02-18-2016, 05:52 AM   #570
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
Yes Edvinas, I sympathize with your plight - but then I remember that in a prior post you had told us of your defection to Nikon three years ago.
Now considering that the Nikon D810 tops out at ISO 12800, I have a hard time understanding what you want.
Besides, you had also told us before that you kept your three amigos, which you are now going to sell because the K-1 has inadequate frame rates... Or so you say. Again, considering that the Nikon D810 has only 5fps this is bordering on the ludicrous, particularly as the three amigos are known for many fine properties - but lightning fast is not one of them.
I don't own D810. We (me and my wife) use D3s and D700. For a while I've used D600, but sold it (and got used D700) mainly because of it's high megapixel count and colours which my wife disliked a lot.

I have huge symphaty for Pentax and was planning to replace D700 as soon as Pentax FF comes out... However now I can see that K-1 is aimed primarily towards landscape and studio photographers, which aren't us.