Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #586

Kind of off topic, but I noticed on the Pentax site the k-1 uses RECHARGEABLE-ION BATTERY D-LI90(E) and my k-3 uses a Li-Ion Battery D-LI90. Are they the same? I hope so!

02-18-2016, 08:45 AM   #587
Pentaxian

Yes it's using D-LI90.
02-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #588
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There are what appears could be electrical contacts in the mount near the focusing screen. It is rumored/speculated that these are contacts for a new 645 adapter to support some automation. If that's the case that could be part of the reason why the focus screen is "fixed".

It could also mean a un-crippled TC for K-mount lenses would be possible.
Yeah but they weren't there in the product pics mistral75 showed yesterday, but they are there in other product pics. So are there two models after all? One for 645z users and one for regular cat photo shooters? It also doesn't tell me something about possible back or front focus correction of the focussing screen.
02-18-2016, 09:13 AM - 3 Likes   #589
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I don't own D810. We (me and my wife) use D3s and D700. For a while I've used D600, but sold it (and got used D700) mainly because of it's high megapixel count and colours which my wife disliked a lot.

I have huge symphaty for Pentax and was planning to replace D700 as soon as Pentax FF comes out... However now I can see that K-1 is aimed primarily towards landscape and studio photographers, which aren't us.
You've made 5 posts on the forum since April of 2014. 2 last year and 3 since yesterday; all of them bashing pentax in some way.
We get it. You don't like Pentax.

02-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #590
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
You don't like Pentax.
From the sound of it he doesn't even USE Pentax, nor can he even settle on a Nikon he likes. The likelihood that he was ever actually going to buy the K-1 is, to me, practically zero.
02-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #591
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Next to all the other specs, this is the best spec of all.

Reading the official website, you get the idea that this camera was designed and built by a bunch of true believers who wanted to give us what we wanted - the still picture-taking full-frame machine of our dreams - and stopped at nothing to make sure it wasn't FREAKING IMPOSSIBLY HUGE. Thank you to those engineers, who I now completely forgive for not decrippling the mount. I understand why they didn't. I still think they need to rectify that at some stage, but the K-1 is not the aperture coupling lever's "hill to die on".

They also put just enough in to make sure that it was competitive without being freaking impossibly EXPENSIVE, and they realised that THE BEST IS THE ENEMY OF GOOD ENOUGH.

There are already people on this website who have bluntly said, "At that price I am getting it now."

I think Ricoh have done the right thing for the right reasons and put out the camera that most of us want at a price that more of us can afford than was expected.
Read my sig. And we could say 'true listeners' if you read the K-1 Special Site.
02-18-2016, 09:23 AM   #592
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Yeah but they weren't there in the product pics mistral75 showed yesterday, but they are there in other product pics. So are there two models after all? One for 645z users and one for regular cat photo shooters? It also doesn't tell me something about possible back or front focus correction of the focussing screen.
Either a prototype and the dropped the feature (or added last minute). Or two models. I recall kenspo hinting there would be two models. I guess we'll know next week from CP+
02-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #593
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
From the sound of it he doesn't even USE Pentax, nor can he even settle on a Nikon he likes. The likelihood that he was ever actually going to buy the K-1 is, to me, practically zero.
Yep.
It appears no camera suits his needs. I wonder if he's told the folks on nikonforums.com how crappy the Nikons that he's tried are.

Last edited by Parallax; 02-18-2016 at 09:43 AM.
02-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #594
Veteran Member

do you k now if the sr is also for movie or not? in the k3 they used a fake sr....with 5 axes i hope they returned to k5 k7 real sr feature
02-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #595
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Read my sig. And we could say 'true listeners' if you read the K-1 Special Site.
It seemed obvious to me from the teaser campaign with the emphasis of compatibility (of sorts) with old full frame and crop lenses that Ricoh's target would be existing Pentax owners and those who may have switched but kept their K-mount lenses.
02-18-2016, 09:32 AM - 9 Likes   #596
Pentaxian

I'm not much of a Pentaxian anymore - I've divested myself of more than half my gear and shoot with another brand - but seeing the K-1 makes me smile. It seems like a love-letter from Pentax to those faithful users who have cared so much about the marque over the years - those folks who stubbornly held on to their old Takumars, those who spent years building a collection of pristine K-series lenses, those who carefully tuck in their Three Princesses at night... Ricoh appears to have built a superb camera aimed at the heart of their fandom, and I think that is beautiful, even heartwarming.
02-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #597
Site Supporter

I have to say I'm surprisingly tempted by this camera. It's beautiful, rugged, well-specified, competitively priced, and from all the publicity material Ricoh's already put out it seems obvious that its engineers have been dying to make exactly such a product for many years. 300k shutter actuations? Nice! Ergonomics and usability seem top notch. Love the back screen mechanism. Can't wait to see pixel shift images with the 36MP, and would love to shoot some myself.

On the downside, even though it's small for a full frame, it's still a fairly massive camera. There's also no focus peaking info overlay in the OVF unfortunately, and it appears that the patent on using IR to improve AF accuracy hasn't made its way into a camera just yet.

Although very competitive, the price is still expensive for me, and the weakness of the Canadian dollar really hurts. Still, this is a camera apparently built to last, and I could conceivably buy this body and be happy for something like five years... I didn't expect it, but suddenly Pentax has released a full-frame body that just might be my next camera.
02-18-2016, 09:58 AM - 3 Likes   #598
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It seems like a love-letter from Pentax to those faithful users who have cared so much about the marque over the years - those folks who stubbornly held on to their old Takumars, those who spent years building a collection of pristine K-series lenses, those who carefully tuck in their Three Princesses at night... Ricoh appears to have built a superb camera aimed at the heart of their fandom, and I think that is beautiful, even heartwarming.
Reading this actually brought a tear to my eye. One thing is for sure, the Japanese appreciate sentimentality, know when to make a bow to tradition and know how to reward loyalty. What we have been given is the best-balanced full-frame digital SLR you could ever want to put in the hands of a dedicated stills photographer. In the current market, leaving video out entirely was impossible, but I think they would have done it if that hadn't been an issue.

I can almost imagine the final pre-design briefing: "For some of those old Takumar-era Pentaxians, it may be the last camera they ever buy. Make it fantastic and build it to last, but also make it handy and make it affordable - you want them to buy it, not to die regretting that they couldn't."

It's nice to see someone who isn't so wedded to the brand anymore yet who understands what the K-1 is really about. Thanks.
02-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #599
Lens Buying Addict

I've bought some of those lenses. , and .
02-18-2016, 10:27 AM - 2 Likes   #600

You know, for the musicians in the forum (I'm sure we're well-stocked...), they might understand the subtle benefits a camera like this brings. If you're a photographer, this is a photographer's camera. We sometimes shoot to pay the bills, sometimes shoot for family obligations, sometimes just to console oneself just as musicians play for the same reasons. But when selfishness permits, I love to shoot for myself, to satisfy what I like to paint for my eyes. Just as, sometimes, you just have to play an instrument for it's therapy that heals you, so too, is photography therapeutic. And this camera, for me, is, so far, a big deal...It will, in the hands of some of these very talented photographers in this forum, tell some beautiful, amazing stories and that is pretty cool...Good times ahead...