Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #631
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
K-1 will give you similarish MP count in crop mode as your trusty K-5 but have all the nifty goodies included that you don't have with your dusty K-5.

THAT SAID K-3s are cheap these days.. really cheap. One third of the cost actually.. you could get multiple K-3s and have a K-3 party instead of a party of 1 with the K-1. That would be a sad party.
I am pretty rough on my gear so K3s on the cheap aren't a bad choice. I will always keep an apc-c camera on hand. I shoot motorcycle racing mostly. Flat track and ice racing are with a telephoto/tripod combination from a pretty good distance. Motocross is much closer with a shorter lens and burst mode and hand held. I also do some bird and wildlife shooting, also where a crop sensor camera has an advantage.

I'm certainly not going to be one of the first to run out and buy a K1. I want to see the tests and reviews. If the K1 was spec'd closer to the D750, it would peak my interest much more. It will also call for a road trip to NYC because I won't buy one without actually handling it prior to purchase. To me, ergonomics are more important than all those features that I will never use. While not bad, the K5 (and K3) is a little small for my hands which is why I still keep a K10D as my second camera.

While $1700 isn't a budget camera, it's not out of the ball park either. I could swing it but it would also trigger some lens purchases, the 24-70 in particular. Keeping this camera under $2K was a good move and I think that factor alone will help insure that it will be a success as long as the actual camera doesn't turn out to be a real dog.

02-19-2016, 07:48 AM   #632
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
you could get multiple K-3s and have a K-3 party instead of a party of 1 with the K-1. That would be a sad party
Kenspo has a post up in the Pentaxians facebook group which seems to indicate that a one-K-1 party is a pretty good party right now. Everyone else in the group who doesn't have one wants to be there.
02-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #633
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I am pretty rough on my gear so K3s on the cheap aren't a bad choice. I will always keep an apc-c camera on hand. I shoot motorcycle racing mostly. Flat track and ice racing are with a telephoto/tripod combination from a pretty good distance. Motocross is much closer with a shorter lens and burst mode and hand held. I also do some bird and wildlife shooting, also where a crop sensor camera has an advantage.

I'm certainly not going to be one of the first to run out and buy a K1. I want to see the tests and reviews. If the K1 was spec'd closer to the D750, it would peak my interest much more. It will also call for a road trip to NYC because I won't buy one without actually handling it prior to purchase. To me, ergonomics are more important than all those features that I will never use. While not bad, the K5 (and K3) is a little small for my hands which is why I still keep a K10D as my second camera.

While $1700 isn't a budget camera, it's not out of the ball park either. I could swing it but it would also trigger some lens purchases, the 24-70 in particular. Keeping this camera under $2K was a good move and I think that factor alone will help insure that it will be a success as long as the actual camera doesn't turn out to be a real dog.
I think there are plenty of situations where it makes sense to shoot a fast APS-C, like the K3, along side a K-1. The K 3 has better frame rate, deeper buffer and probably isn't going to that much different with regard to focus as compared to a K-1 (assuming the same lens).

For sports and wildlife, I still think APS-C has a lot going for it. Full frame is probably not particularly beneficial if you are cropping your images down to APS-C anyway.
02-19-2016, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #634

No more megapixels!

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
All of us have our dream camera or dream feature. Would have been wonderful (for me) if the K1 had cracked the "50mp barrier" (Next logical uptick, perhaps, would be 64mp), but that would probably have been at the cost of greater noise at high ISO and low light conditions. How many lenses would profit from such a sensor? How many images, viewed on screen or as prints, would look different coming from a 64mp sensor versus a 36mp sensor? I think it's safe to assume a higher pixel count will not enhance bokeh.
Full frame (36 x 25 mm) 36 MP sensor as the one K1 is equipped with has pixel resolution of 7360 x 4912. That means the effective pixel site is roughly a square 5x5 microns. For typical lens apertures used in normal cameras for mortal people (as opposed to CIA, NASA, science labs and some such) that means the diffraction limit is reached with Airy disk 4-5 microns in diameter. Therefore more pixels in full frame format is a boneheaded idea - there will be no more detail visible, period.

The proper way to higher resolutions is through bigger sensors. And here comes P645Z, or for those inclined to self inflict financial wounds - Phase One. This is the end of the road folks. The wall put there by the laws of physics. You can venture outside if you are rich or don't mind to become poor. But in the world of small format cameras - 36 MP is the upper limit with which we'll have to live from now on.

But that's not bad. Look how fine we ended up with microprocessors that hit the wall of 3 GHz. See? The sky is not falling. We'll be fine. Some stupid reviewers in stupid pseudo photo magazines may have to starve to death, but that's fine with me. Now we can concentrate on actually making photographs. :-)

---------- Post added 02-19-2016 at 12:05 PM ----------

Just to add to my previous rant/prophecy: I've always been a resolution freak in the most generic, Fourier transform sense, that is regardless of problem domain (spatial, measured in pixels or temporal measured in dB). That paradoxically drove me away from digital 10 years ago back to the realm of film photography. Scanning film at 3200 px/inch (highest reasonable resolution of my scanner and only slightly higher than the actual resolution of film, as it should be) I get 13.6 MP from 35mm film on still fabulous Nikon F5, 56.8 MP from freakishly awesome Pentax 67II and 195 MP from heavenly Wista 45 (4x5 format).

These 13.6 MP images can easily be printed at least up to 11x14 and that's what really matters. Film photography tought me that the point of making a photograph is to print it, not to convert it to a tiny, post stamp size blob of pixels left to die on some stupid facebook or other twitter.

Having said that I will gladly acquire K1. To pursue photography as an art it will contribute not the resolution (as my other cameras show, I have more than enough pixel real estate when I need it). What K1 has and film does not is the insanely high sensitivity. ISO 200k opens possibilities that previously were only abstract. Also, it appears to be a perfect camera for astrophotography. ISO 200k and no low pass filter! Yummy.

02-19-2016, 11:10 AM - 3 Likes   #635
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I can almost imagine the final pre-design briefing: "For some of those old Takumar-era Pentaxians, it may be the last camera they ever buy. Make it fantastic and build it to last, but also make it handy and make it affordable - you want them to buy it, not to die regretting that they couldn't."
I was struck last night by the rather melancholy thought that I know of two Pentaxians who did not live to see the Pentax FF realized, as well as another enthusiastic Pentaxian who essentially retired from photography (AFAIK) due to health issues.

In an odd way, the release of the K-1 is the end of an era for Pentax.
02-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #636
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

V-A-V the post by Jerry K, I am in agreement. There are many more factors that go into a fine image than pixel-peep resolution. I've seen numerous images posted on PF that were taken with a K20D (= 14.6mp, about the same as a K1 in APS-C crop mode) that I would be very glad, very proud to call my own. I still use my K20D for some "studio" photography = higher magnification macro/micro, and the results are fully satisfactory. Going to the idea of larger format for more detail reminds me of the raging, sometimes nasty debate and conflict when I started in photography (1950's) between traditionalists for whom 4X5 was standard and 35mm was "miniature" and "amateur" and "tourist." Subsequently the assertion was that larger format always delivered better tonality, a more subtle gradation of tones between pure white and deepest black, than it was possible to obtain with 35mm. Anyone who has examined a well-made print from a large format camera will tend to agree. They have a quality that's different from 35mm. But if I were presented with 30 or so prints and asked to select those done from a 35mm negative and those from an 11X14, how many would I get correct? Chances are other variables - subject matter, high/low key, f-stop selected, etc. - would preclude achieving more than random, eyes-closed guessing.
02-19-2016, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #637
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes it was.
AFAIK there's no 4K-capable "full frame" camera under $3000. For the K-1, this probably meant a different sensor (the 42MP one) and likely a beefier hardware (memory, writing speeds etc.).
Quick reply, and coming extremely late, but the Sony A7s does it for a bit over $2K. Still, implementing 4K is extremely demanding of the sensor, and this is something that people fail to realize time and again! The 36 Mpix chip simply CANNOT do 4K, as the bus is limited and it'd probably overheat in a conventional camera. Sony had to go to great lengths to make it possible on the A7rii, Panasonic had to go to great lengths to get the GH4 to offer unfettered 4K capture, and Samsung also struggled with the codecs and heat with 4K on the NX1.

Let me repeat myself - 4K cannot be activated in firmware for the K-1. It's simply not possible from a hardware perspective. That being said, Ricoh is guilty of not even putting 60p on the K-1, as well as the other goodies (stabilization, peaking, etc.). I'm guessing they really were constrained for resources, or they're waiting to make it happen in a FW update.

02-19-2016, 03:35 PM - 2 Likes   #638
Pentaxian

ISO 1,000,000 = to be selected only for the (in)famous black cat on a pile of coal in an unlit windowless cellar on a moonless night. Way back, a photo magazine actually published just such an image, in B&W of course.
If I had that capability I could take a picture, and examine it, as I go about the house at night (I've already sat on our black cat at least twice because she often naps on a dark surface)
02-20-2016, 01:48 AM   #639
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All of us have our dream camera or dream feature
I don't. My dream features are actually lens related, camera bodies are disposable - the glass you attach to it is what really matters.

Having said that: T/S lenses in 18mm, 35mm, 90mm would be fantastic*, A 90~105mm high magnification macro lens that goes from 1:1 to 5:1, A fast AF 400mm f/2.8, A few AF f/1.2 lenses wouldn't hurt either.

*Bonus points for a zoom T/S lens, that would be interesting.
02-20-2016, 02:21 AM   #640
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry_K Quote
Full frame (36 x 25 mm) 36 MP sensor as the one K1 is equipped with has pixel resolution of 7360 x 4912. That means the effective pixel site is roughly a square 5x5 microns. For typical lens apertures used in normal cameras for mortal people (as opposed to CIA, NASA, science labs and some such) that means the diffraction limit is reached with Airy disk 4-5 microns in diameter. Therefore more pixels in full frame format is a boneheaded idea - there will be no more detail visible, period.

The proper way to higher resolutions is through bigger sensors. And here comes P645Z, or for those inclined to self inflict financial wounds - Phase One. This is the end of the road folks. The wall put there by the laws of physics. You can venture outside if you are rich or don't mind to become poor. But in the world of small format cameras - 36 MP is the upper limit with which we'll have to live from now on.

But that's not bad. Look how fine we ended up with microprocessors that hit the wall of 3 GHz. See? The sky is not falling. We'll be fine. Some stupid reviewers in stupid pseudo photo magazines may have to starve to death, but that's fine with me. Now we can concentrate on actually making photographs. :-)
Not to say this is interresting to have very high resolution or not but, science and practice say the contrary. A 12MP Q is pixel sharp. An FF sensor with as many MP, would be 240MP. Sure for diffraction we would be limited to something like f/4.

But 16MP K5 or 36MP K1 have rougly same pixel density and start to see visible diffraction issues at f/11, f/8 this is not really visible... Each stop allow you to x2 the resolution so 72MP FF would be f/8, 144MP FF would be f/5.6 and 288MP FF would be f/4.

For many shots the apperture is not important because there enough deph of field anyway and really there not that much difference between f/11 and f/8 for deph of field for example.

This doesn't make resolution more usefull and doesn't change the fact that an MF shot would be of higher quality but we are sill far from the hard limits
02-20-2016, 02:25 AM   #641
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here you get my story

Spec-wise the K1 fits perfectly my hopes and wishes - with two exceptions. I once said in a post I'd like to see a 24MP sensor and second I hoped for a more lightweight body.

The first was driven by the expectation that the camera would cost a lot more and the sensitivity would be worse. Now we face that the price of the body is hot for such a camera and sensitvity should also be great. Beyond that I get nearly the same pixel amount as with my K5 using the APSC crop mode. Enough for everything I do today.

Moreover I can use my three legacy lenses in FF mode plus my DFA100WR. That's just great. The price I have to pay is 925g vs. 660g of the K5 (740g with battery and memory card). And of course the most new FF lenses are very pricy. On my wishlist are DFA 24-70 and DFA 150-450. Until now in germany we don't get any rebate. So I'd need 1.999,- € (K1) + 1.299,- € (DFA 24-70) + 2.199,- € (DFA 150—450) in total 5.497,- € / 6.120,- USD to get all the stuff I'd like to have - shocking!

For someone who does not earn his money through photography that's very much. So, don't go the FF route? What will I do, what's my strategy?

I can afford the K1 and it seems to offer a lot of advantage compared to my K5 (5 years old, got the DA18-135 kit new for about 1.650,- €):
  • Better autofocus, white balance, ...
  • FF-use of my FF lenses
  • Big viewfinder (love that of my ME Super)
  • High ISO
  • No Anti Aliasing filter
  • Pixel Shift
  • Wifi- and GPS-Support
  • Swivel Screen (nice for my macro work) with focus peaking
  • Pixel Shift

Video, fast shooting and top notch flash system are not on my wishlist.

In short: IMO this is a really great upgrade path for people like me using older cameras like the K5 and legacy glass.

I believe Ricoh/Pentax tries to build a broad base of Pentax FF users fast and if successfull they go further with even more advanced FF cameras. Taking all the positive posts into account I think they could succeed. Well done Ricoh/Pentax!

If the ergonomics are nice for me I'll support them buying this camera this or next year. My strategy is to buy one piece every year as I did in the past five years. Until now I didn't prioritze the K1 against DFA 150-450.

Sorry for being that lenghty - just a summary of my thoughts since the official K1 FF anouncement. By the way - I think I won't put my small and lightweight K5 APS-C package aside. And I for sure won't buy into another system to get a FF.
02-20-2016, 02:31 AM   #642
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I'm afraid to go over ISO 400................
I'am scared to go over iso 800 on APSC but I reckon this would be over iso 1600 on FF. Meaning this would not change much most of the time as the deph of field would also be different.

And I'am really scared on APSC of iso 3200 and up. Theses tend to give not so satisfying results.

This is just that iso 1600 on APSC pictures are not very detailled, without that much nice colors and struggle already at a full screen preview (full HD). I also reckon that not all X isos shoots are equals, Good light high speed shot do lot better and you gain easily 1EV and a good lighting system also greating improve the results you get at a given iso settings.
02-20-2016, 05:19 AM   #643
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I don't. My dream features are actually lens related, camera bodies are disposable - the glass you attach to it is what really matters.

Having said that: T/S lenses in 18mm, 35mm, 90mm would be fantastic*, A 90~105mm high magnification macro lens that goes from 1:1 to 5:1, A fast AF 400mm f/2.8, A few AF f/1.2 lenses wouldn't hurt either.

*Bonus points for a zoom T/S lens, that would be interesting.
I'm definitely with you on a high quality TSS, especially at the wide end, around 20mm more or less. I'll be glad to use my Samyang on FF, but it's IQ falls well short of the Canon 24mm TSS I had several decades back.

I'm also with you on lenses lasting longer than camera bodies. Have several that have lasted through multiple film and digital bodies and that I'm glad I still own (200mm macro, 90mm "Bokina," 400 f4 Tamron, 85mm soft).

Last edited by WPRESTO; 02-20-2016 at 06:23 AM.
02-20-2016, 05:54 AM   #644
Veteran Member

I'm definitely with you on a high quality TSS, especially at the wide end, around 20mm more or less. I'll be glad to use my Samyang on FF, bit it's IQ falls well short of the Canon 24mm TSS I had several decades back.

I'm also with you on lenses lasting longer than camera bodies. Have several that have lasted through multiple film and digital bodies and that I'm glad I still own (200mm macro, 90mm "Bokina," 400 f4 Tamron, 85mm soft).

well that the whole business model of the photo industry: sell cheap cameras to newcomers for volume. Some will buy some expensive lenses and create their own barrier of exit from your system. On the short term, will be always easier to buy the latest greatest/camera from the same mount than to switch. Meaning it also make more sense to buy even more lenses on the same system as well, even if their are not as good rather than switching.

Now does that mean lenses are great investment? Well most MF lenses are worth a fraction of their inital cost if you factor inflation in. They also limit you to MF. Old lenses tend to have more optical aberations, more CA, more flare.

There lot of great lenses available new for a bargain with great rendering, even more on the used market.

The real thing is the not camera nor lenses but the photographer, by far. The gear help much more beginers than seasoned competant photographers.
02-20-2016, 06:29 AM   #645
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
The real thing is the not camera nor lenses but the photographer, by far. The gear help much more beginers than seasoned competant photographers.
Totally in agreement that it's the photographer, not the equipment that creates fine images. But I've already confessed to being an unrepentant gear-head, and no one will inflict on me more than a few picoseconds of guilt for purchasing any equipment that I want to try. As for old lenses being not-so-good because of AF and aberrations, for some but not all. The four I listed have IQ as good as just about any modern lens, the two macros are superior to many, perhaps most competitors.