02-21-2016, 03:33 PM   #691
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has someone already posted "shipping in April?"

02-21-2016, 05:12 PM   #692
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
From rgknief60's specification link ... RAW: (15M:4800x3200) - so smaller raw files size for the dedicated APSC crop file.

Oh, if you crop? Sure.

I don't think it speeds up the camera - it would probably be casting away the outer pixels after taken, but yep, it's less for your computer to deal with afterwards.
02-22-2016, 04:34 AM   #693
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Has someone already posted "shipping in April?"
I think yes, but depending on seller/countries it will be from 5th to 30th afaik.
02-22-2016, 05:13 AM   #694
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well only from things I read. No mechanical SR for video. Not since K-5 series anymore. So probably also not using the full with of the sensor in video, but we will see when someone pays attention to these details.
yes sure, but for me is a mystery why they not implemented this for video, probably mirror problem? i don't know my m,7 had it and it was so good to have stabilized video, partially avoiding a rig, not totally...anyway planned to buy a camera for video also to use with pentax lenses, maybe a sony a7, even if i dislike as hell sony.

02-22-2016, 06:22 AM   #695
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I think yes, but depending on seller/countries it will be from 5th to 30th afaik.
That's not clear.
Ricoh says 25th or 30th on the french site but my pre-order at Images Photo says April first week.
02-22-2016, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #696
Loyal Site Supporter

We need a new thread for "When will my K1 be delivered?" We need a calendar days countdown followed by an hours to go for UPS or FedEx to arrive. We need speculation on whether the batteries will arrive charged so we can start using immediately, or if they'll need hours on the AC. So many frustrations.
02-22-2016, 06:59 AM   #697
Pentaxian

We already have batteries at least.
02-22-2016, 07:03 AM   #698
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jonny1986 Quote
yes sure, but for me is a mystery why they not implemented this for video, probably mirror problem? i don't know my m,7 had it and it was so good to have stabilized video, partially avoiding a rig, not totally...anyway planned to buy a camera for video also to use with pentax lenses, maybe a sony a7, even if i dislike as hell sony.
Was there not complaints with the SR being able to be heard while recording video when they had it

02-22-2016, 07:07 AM   #699
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Glorfindelrb Quote
We already have batteries at least.
RIGHT! Thanks for reminding me that I won't need different batteries and yet another charger. There's a cartoon of a man showing his son a room lined with shelves all of which are covered by wires with little black boxes at one end. "Someday son, all of these obsolete AC adapters will be yours."
02-22-2016, 07:08 AM   #700
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
We need a new thread for "When will my K1 be delivered?" We need a calendar days countdown followed by an hours to go for UPS or FedEx to arrive. We need speculation on whether the batteries will arrive charged so we can start using immediately, or if they'll need hours on the AC. So many frustrations.
Probably so
02-22-2016, 07:21 AM   #701
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
Was there not complaints with the SR being able to be heard while recording video when they had it
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Probably so
Yes. i've always thought that is the real reason Pentax hasn't invested more in video in the dSLR's
02-22-2016, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #702
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is really no technical reason why sr cannot be used in video. It works in live view, it worked on the k7/k5. Yes it is a bit noisy, but that doesn't matter when you record sound externally or when you just do not use the sound recording. The fact that Pentax doesn't give us a choice to enable it even though people have clearly and loudly complained about it must be because it is a patent related issue.
02-22-2016, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #703
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax have been clever. Very clever. They probably got the 36 Mp sensor much cheaper then a 42 Mp BSI sensor, but they made an incredibly feature rich camera based on that sensor. The screen "hinge" and LEDs probably didn't cost them much, but both gives large practical value, and media attention. The SR mechanism was probably a moderate cost as most of it was ready developed and just needed to be scaled up to full frame. I guess the new shutter, prism and VF optics also was a moderate cost. All in all a huge value for a moderate investment. Thats why they were able to send shock waves through the FF industry with a 1800 $price tag.

Advanced video features like 4K and high frame rate full HD are probably not compatible with the sensor. A sensor to support that would probably cost a lot more. And a firmware to support all the video modes and cooperation with a constantly on SR mechamism is probably time consuming to make. This would probably have delayed the launch a lot. I think both choices where clever.

Fake autumn 2016 teaser removed!

I think Pentax are currently developing a FF camera with 4K video, high fps full HD and faster burst shooting, to be released later, maybe late this year or in 2017. I guess they just did a tactical switch of witch camera to release first. That decision might have come from a lot of reasons.

- Buying more time to the video features development
- Shortening our waiting for the first FF
- Financially smarter starting price point
- The sensor price might be negotiated down by waiting for a later delivery

I don't think video SR are shut off because of noise. I think it was shut off because of heat issues and difficult algorithms for smooth camera movements. The internal stereo mic are not for high quality sound anyway. Anybody wanting high quality sound in their video uses a high quality external mic or independent recorder.

The lower price for the 36 Mp sensor gives them more headroom to lower the prices of the camera to increase the competition, in case the sales numbers are not satisfactory. Oh, I think they will be very satisfactory, this precaution would just be a financially safe plan B.

Note, this is pure speculation and wishes based on a few thin strings of logic. What do you think?

Last edited by Simen1; 02-22-2016 at 09:54 AM.
02-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #704
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I think it was shut off because of heat issues
This is actually a very good point, shunting heat away from a sensor on a floating IS platform isn't exactly easy.
02-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #705
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Remember the FF teaser side from september 2015?
I don't remember seeing that, ever, on pentax.com. Isn't it a fake?

Last edited by Kunzite; 02-22-2016 at 09:38 AM.