Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2016, 10:05 PM - 1 Like   #751
Pentaxian

Real cine buffs say you only need 24p for video...anything over that is just marketing fluff.

03-01-2016, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #752
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Real cine buffs say you only need 24p for video...anything over that is just marketing fluff.
Which is why people complain
03-02-2016, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #753
Pentaxian

I really want 60p as an absolute minimum on the recording side. Downsampling of the framerate can be done at the viewer side much easier and better then upsampling. Call it the slide show cinema geek mode or Charlie Chaplin mode. Just like more realistic resolutions I also want more realistic panning and movements. Video is a nice add on feature even If stills are first priority.
03-02-2016, 06:19 AM   #754
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
More importantly the video chip needs to be able to handle the frame rate right by a wide margin, otherwise panning shots will be choppy as hell.

03-02-2016, 03:40 PM   #755
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frame rates are one thing, actual quality of the video is another. Good compression, high bitrates, most importantly good ISO performance and dynamic range. Frame rates should follow all of that, image quality is paramount. IMO
03-02-2016, 03:46 PM - 11 Likes   #756
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wonder if people who buy actual video cameras complain that the stills they get from them aren't as good as they would like.
03-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #757
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I wonder if people who buy actual video cameras complain that the stills they get from them aren't as good as they would like.
hey, now you're teasing us
I think the problem is that the video feature can be better but pentax just doesn't... I'm not asking Lumix level good!
03-02-2016, 04:19 PM - 4 Likes   #758
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Probably!

I'm still disappointed with my K-5 II. It doesn't have an on-board phone, so I need to carry a separate device.

03-02-2016, 04:22 PM   #759
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Probably!

I'm still disappointed with my K-5 II. It doesn't have an on-board phone, so I need to carry a separate device.
Not only that, it doesn't dispense coffee or make julienne fries!! And you cannot drive nails with it, even if the AF misses the shot of a lifetime.
03-02-2016, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #760
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
hey, now you're teasing us
I think the problem is that the video feature can be better but pentax just doesn't... I'm not asking Lumix level good!
Oh but I'am sure some video camera have worse still than they could have too... This is so subjective in the end... Pentax could do 8K, full read and one could still complain SR is disabled... No reason to expect some video camera owner don't ask the same kind of thing for their still.
03-03-2016, 01:52 AM - 2 Likes   #761
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
And you cannot drive nails with it,
Actually, you probably could use a K-1 to do this.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-05-2016 at 05:26 PM.
03-03-2016, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #762
Pentaxian

You could probably drive nails with the K-5II too, but I have no intention of finding out for sure.

Maybe I'm heavily biased in this question, but If I had to choose between using a dslr as a 2-in-1 device or a camcorder as a 2-in-1 device, I would hands down choose the dslr in 11 of 10 cases, so I feel the other way around argument is not comparable at all.
03-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #763
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
actually, you probably could use a K-1 to do this.

Must give it a try as soon as I pop it out of the box.

If memory serves (older I get, the more vacations it takes) I've a camera hit the ground three times, always when I was careless not fully respreading tripod legs when moving one spot to another. Only one permanent damage: killed the light meter on a Canon EF. However, my K20 has a cracked base plate and I've no idea how it happened (not driving nails). Camera still works perfectly, however. I'm not convinced that metal is always superior to plastic. Sometimes it seems a bit like thinking the quality of a car is in the sound a door makes when slammed and a tire makes when kicked.
03-03-2016, 02:35 PM   #764
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
You could probably drive nails with the K-5II too, but I have no intention of finding out for sure.

Maybe I'm heavily biased in this question, but If I had to choose between using a dslr as a 2-in-1 device or a camcorder as a 2-in-1 device, I would hands down choose the dslr in 11 of 10 cases, so I feel the other way around argument is not comparable at all.
And why so? I mean objectively rather than say Sony give me better videos blablabla...

A pro video cam, very different than DSLR, and if you are serious about video you'd much preffer your video cam. There no ways around that. They are simply better suited.
03-03-2016, 04:19 PM - 2 Likes   #765
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I have never been a fan of 2-in-1 devices; I do not like scanner/printer combinations, for example. If both video and stills are important, then I firmly believe the user should buy one specialized device for each. Pentax should do what they do best, and leave the fancy alternatives to those who have the resources to develop multiple product lines.