Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 320 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
What is absolutely new

- Image processing engine PRIME IV
- Sensor Size: 35.9 x 24.0mm
- AF sensor SAFOX12. AF point is 33 points (25 points are cross-type). -3EV Correspondence
- Shutter unit of the compact new design. Durability is 300,000 shots
- Synchro speed is 1/200 sec
- 5-axis camera shake correction. Effective for five stops.
New to Pentax....
The sensor is a new version of the 5 year old Sony sensor. More than adequate.
The 33 point AF is pretty average even by APS-C specs. Works for 90% of the population.
1/200 sync speed has been the standard for years.... Pentax finally arrives.

I looks like a solid camera with decent specifications. Obviously specs aren't everything.

I was really hoping to see an improved RGB meter. Maybe they have improved it, but it is still the 86K.

Is muti-area WB still supported? Did they abandon that? I know it was only JPEG, but I was hoping to see it improved. Until I see some RAW files and how it handles skin tones in different light.....

02-15-2016, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #32
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kharan Quote
The problem is that manufacturers don't really make their own shutters, but typically source them from Copal or Seiko. If you look for LensRentals' camera teardowns, you'll see that Canon, Nikon and Sony, at the very least, get their shutters from those two companies. I don't know about Pentax, but I'd be very surprised if they were any different, since shutters are precision mechanisms (comparable to analog watches) that require considerable expertise in a field that has no other direct application in photography. So I'd blame the provider, or Ricoh's management for choosing a different set of compromises than you or I would've (faster X-sync at the expense of durability or cost). Because that's how it is: focal plane shutters need to suffer extreme stresses, perform within microscopic tolerances, be perfectly sealed against light ingress, have the curtains be very thin, and also perform reliably over the course of thousands of shutter cycles. And, most importantly, can't just be made of unobtainium, or take a gigantic amount of space inside the camera. I'd say that Ricoh, in this case, simply decided to go with the rated 300,000 thousand shutter cycle life, while having heavier curtains that simply can't travel as fast as those found in other similar cameras.

I wonder if it is more a case of the IBIS system is more accurate thus the sync speed could be improved slightly? IIRC that was why we had 1/180s in the first place.. because we have IBIS in our camera bodies.
02-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #33
Pentaxian

It's an entirely new shutter; we can be sure of this, because it's larger.
02-15-2016, 08:32 AM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I wonder if it is more a case of the IBIS system is more accurate thus the sync speed could be improved slightly? IIRC that was why we had 1/180s in the first place.. because we have IBIS in our camera bodies.
D'oh Of course, there's always that, that the distance the curtains must travel is longer in Pentax cameras. Good catch and thanks.

02-15-2016, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suppose the thing is for those of us who want to see Pentax flying high again is that there isn't anything there to tempt pros (apart perhaps from the pixel shift), but we were hearing that the K-1 was targeted at pros - you're left with a sort of feeling of this was meant to be the best they could do, and is that it? Might be as good as a D810, but Nikon also have the D4/5 - Just have to assume that the proof of the pudding is in the eating, not the recipe - and that there are USP goodies not on spec sheet that really do make it more than a catch-up to a four year old camera camera. I do believe tat, but I also want to see it - waiting for the 18th
02-15-2016, 08:39 AM   #36
Veteran Member

The specs are fine for most. We will see how fast and accurate the AF really is. I know 2 wedding photographers who moved away from the D800/810 to the D750 because they didn't need 36MP and the D750 has the better AF.
02-15-2016, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Penetrating the pro market at this stage is a near impossibility. So many there are fixated* on Canikon they would not consider Pentax, dismissing it without thought as a "consumer" or "amateur" camera. Indeed, Nikon users will not switch because Pentax lenses mount the wrong way, so their reflex movements would be wrong, as if you switched the positions of brake and accelerator pedals. The camera is and must be for us and for newbies, not to attract converts.

*Granted, not as uniformly fixated as Leica users.

02-15-2016, 08:46 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
The camera is and must be for us and for newbies, not to attract converts.
Speaking as a user purposefully owning far too many old Pentax lenses I suspect you have the main point correct.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-15-2016 at 09:55 AM.
02-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
What is absolutely new

- Image processing engine PRIME IV
- Sensor Size: 35.9 x 24.0mm
- AF sensor SAFOX12. AF point is 33 points (25 points are cross-type). -3EV Correspondence
- Shutter unit of the compact new design. Durability is 300,000 shots
- Synchro speed is 1/200 sec
- 5-axis camera shake correction. Effective for five stops.
I think you missed out on Tilt shift screen
02-15-2016, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Granted, not as uniformly fixated as Leica users
You don't even know the degree of zealotry. Certain people on leicaphile forums are going blue in the face over the Pentax K-1 specs today. Some are even going as far as saying the FA43 isn't as good as the LTM FA43.
02-15-2016, 08:55 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
You don't even know the degree of zealotry. Certain people on leicaphile forums are going blue in the face over the Pentax K-1 specs today. Some are even going as far as saying the FA43 isn't as good as the LTM FA43.
Rotflmao, really
02-15-2016, 08:57 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Rotflmao, really
yes....really.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lightograph Quote
I think you missed out on Tilt shift screen
wow, that is quite a blooper.
02-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #43

the viewfinder magnification quoted means nothing without the focal length of the lens used to calculate it. We shall, er, see...

By the way, for anybody who can get to Watford in England on Friday the 26th and Saturday the 27th of this month, SRS Microsystems are having a Pentax open day. I dare say your first thought will be the same as mine; will the K-1 be there? I will be parking in Sainsbury's car park, as usual. There's nothing on the SRS website yet but it is on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/850639421711188/?active_tab=posts
02-15-2016, 09:06 AM - 5 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The camera is and must be for us and for newbies, not to attract converts.
This is Ricoh / Pentax releasing a body that repays the loyalty shown. To them the Professional level is served by the 645 Series, FF is for their loyal enthusiasts and the odd convert. APS-C is still where the volume will be at and you have a few upgrades there. Or perhaps it is all a subliminal plan, start off with a KS-2, it does all the work at the start, one day you move away from the Green mode and you're almost an enthusiast, outgrow the KS-2 (based on the trolls here, say about 3 months?) because the 12Bit Raw format is holding you back and graduate to the K-3II, ohh super zippy, someone here sets you off on a LBA quest, 18 months and 121 lens purchases later and your PC, Mac or Cloud storage is full to the brim. Instead of bursts of 22 images every 30 seconds, you slow down, move back into AF-S, Single shot and you begin to ponder the meaning of your photography. What do I take pictures of? Is it birds? nah not really, am I beside the pitch at an international Rugby match? nope, do I have pictures of my kids and family? yes loads, pictures from your last holiday? yep, every waterfall in Iceland. You have the 3 FA Limited's and are curious as to how they will be on their natural format. You look at the specs, 4.5FPS? I only need one There you go, a K-1 customer all lined up. And there is still one step to go after that
02-15-2016, 09:08 AM   #45
Imp
Pentaxian

Indeed, Nikon users will not switch because Pentax lenses mount the wrong way, so their reflex movements would be wrong, as if you switched the positions of brake and accelerator pedals.
Well, there is Kenspo...