Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2016, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Nikon users will not switch because Pentax lenses mount the wrong way
I never actually had a problem with that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Robot camera Quote
the viewfinder magnification quoted means nothing without the focal length of the lens used to calculate it.
It is commonly normalized with a 50mm* f/1.4 lens focused infinity. All the magnifications and % viewfinder coverage I quoted above were calculated from that same baseline.

*though whether the 50mm is actually a true 50mm lens is no small matter of debate, Canon 50mm lenses tend to be slightly longer than nikkors.

Last edited by Digitalis; 02-15-2016 at 09:16 AM.
02-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lightograph Quote
I think you missed out on Tilt shift screen
Built in Wifi?
02-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Cool - something I'll never have
02-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #49
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lightograph Quote
I think you missed out on Tilt shift screen
The new is only mechanism

02-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The new is only mechanism
How many conceptually new things do you expect on high-end cameras during your lifetime??
02-15-2016, 09:32 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Specs are pretty much what's been rumored before, sync speed is up to 1/200th, but USB2???? How about tethering?
It would seem that tethering is a software issue once the USB2 connector and/or wi-fi is provided...
02-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
You don't even know the degree of zealotry. Certain people on leicaphile forums are going blue in the face over the Pentax K-1 specs today. Some are even going as far as saying the FA43 isn't as good as the LTM FA43.
I do know the caution necessary around a Leicaphile. Roomed with one several years in college (he had an M3, which I will admit was possibly the finest all-mechanical rangefinder 35mm). We had an argument about binoculars, particularly their usability in low light. He asserted that Leica binoculars had an especially high "twilight factor" that made them superior to any and all other binoculars (Leica was touting this "twilight factor" in their advertising). I was asserting that a standard (then) 7X50 binocular was better in low light than the Leica 8X30, because the critical factor was the diameter of the objective - - for low light, the bigger the better. He absolutely would not accept that argument - Leica had concentrated on the "twilight factor" and that made them superior. Eventually I got him to look up how this mysterious factor was calculated, and - wonder of wonders - it depended on magnification and objective diameter, and any and all 7X50 binoculars had a higher twilight factor than a Leica 8X30, but he couldn't quite bring himself to admit it. There had to be something else, probably the superior lens coatings. SOMETHING about the Leica binoculars made them vastly superior under any and all conditions.

02-15-2016, 09:34 AM   #53
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
How many conceptually new things do you expect on high-end cameras during your lifetime??
I don't think about it at all.
02-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #54

I am fine with the rather slowish burst framerate cause I never shoot other than single shot. However, I am curious about the noise of the shutter/mirror ... hope it's as silent as the top-level Pentax APSC-cams.
02-15-2016, 09:42 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Seems the image processor might be limiting performance because full-frame continuous shooting is limited to 4.4 fps.

Sync speed is up to 1/200s, while there's a new 5-axis SR system.

Not bad specs at all. Performance may seem rather slow but I'm not exactly disappointed. What I'm really hoping to see is the new technology trickling down to the next flagship APS-C model. I don't really need a full-frame camera at this time—I'm a sports photographer by trade and need better AF first and foremost.

Last edited by bwDraco; 02-15-2016 at 09:49 AM.
02-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm OK with a slow frame rate, but will it really have reliable 5-stop SR? Getting the equivalent of 1/125 when shooting at 1/4?? That's pretty darn good IMHO.
02-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
As a user purposefully owning far too many old Pentax lenses I suspect you have the main point correct.
how many is 'far too many' does more than I can carry count... with wifi for the camea, what we now need is wifi for the tripod
so we can remotely adjust the elevation and direction via the wi-fi as well. then I can sit in a nice warm house and let the camera live
alone in the duck blind. the remotely zooming lens will then be the only missing item. it could be even an aftermarket model
that clamped on the zoom ring with a radiator hose clamp.
02-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
how many is 'far too many' .
The answer to that question is individually determined by one's spouse.

"Well, too bad. You already spent your hobby budget on all those old lenses. What are you going to do with them anyway?"

It just means my 'In-Bag Acceptance Date' and Ricoh's 'In-Store Release Date' are no longer coincident.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-15-2016 at 10:17 AM.
02-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Here are the full specs of the K-1.

- Sensor Size: 35.9 x 24.0mm

- KAF2 mount (KAF3, KAF2, KAF, KA, compatible with power zoom lens)
Wait. This cannot be!! There's .1mm of sensor real estate missing, it's still a crop-sensor camera!!

Anyway, by KAF2 mount (if this is certain), doesn't that version carry the much-requested simulator lever for pre-KA lenses? Is this real life, or is this just fantasy
02-15-2016, 10:11 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Wait. This cannot be!! There's .1mm of sensor real estate missing, it's still a crop-sensor camera!!
I know you're joking, but before the naysayers take this and run away with it, I should point out that this is a normal result of semiconductor masking as far as I know and other full-frame cameras are similar in this regard—the original Canon EOS 5D had a sensor that measured 23.9x35.8mm.