Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 320 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 06:38 AM   #226
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I like my idea better. Cleaner and more functional than adding all of those values.
I'm reread your post. Did you want to scroll through every increment of shutter speed, so there would be 60 clicks between 180 seconds and 240 seconds? That's a lot of scrolling.

Look how M mode works today. It jumps from 25 to 30 seconds. Roughly half a stop.

---------- Post added 02-16-16 at 08:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Halide Quote
I believe that the Usb 3 downgrade to usb 2 micro is probably true... It makes no difference in use, Who transfers images directly from the camera anyway? I use an SD card reader(usb3) doesn't everyone? ...
I always transfer from the camera to eliminate the risk of forgetting to put the card back into the camera. My way is especially nice on the Ricoh GR, because the USB connection also charges the camera battery after the transfer.

02-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #227
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jaad75 Quote
Test Pentax K-3 - U
Test Pentax K-3 II - U
In Polish. Google translate should be good enough. Optyczne.pl = LensTip.
I thought so too, but I double-checked it and there was no claim about the CIPA standards before.
That's one test, and it's not clear how they're measuring. They might be right, the improvements might not manifest under the test conditions, or the testing methodology could be inconsistent. I'd rather see confirmation from other sources
They did use the CIPA measurement for the K-3; past cameras having higher values. The information is not easy to find though, it's for example in the Japanese FAQ.
02-16-2016, 07:34 AM   #228
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I really don't understand the idea of not wanting to carry another accessory around -- it isn't like these are going to be "spontaneous" shots. A two or three minute exposure isn't going to happen out of the clear blue. You are out there shooting with an SLR and a sturdy tripod. How hard is it to stick a remote in your bag or pocket to take with you?.
At night, I'd like the option to carry nothing but the tripod with camera attached. Now I need to add on some device as a timer and an IR remote. More things to worry about when I'd rather keep things as simple as possible. More things whose batteries can die, who can be left at home by mistake, who can be left in a pants pocket to go through the wash by mistake, or who can be dropped in the long, tick filled grass in the dead of night.

I am used to carrying a dslr and the crap-ton of little accessories that tend to go with it, but that doesn't mean I like the little things.

I really don't understand the apparent opposition to a simple programmable bulb mode or extending the exposure lengths on the dial. Some version should be pretty easy to implement (the CHDK firmware for some Canon cameras allows extra long exposures) and it's another feature that could be ignored by anyone who doesn't care.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
And in point of fact, unless you use the self timer option, your shots are going to be better using some type of remote than they will if you push the shutter button with your finger anyway.
For the long multi minute exposures, the 2-second timer is usually sufficient for the start of the frame (I wouldn't say no to a longer option here, or make the 12 second delay also engage the mirror lock up at the start - I'd take this as another menu setting to enable). If the camera could also end the exposure when I want without me touching it, without an extra accessory, all would be great.

It's too bad an 'à la carte' firmware would be an impracticable solution. I'd pay $5 for a programmable bulb mode. I'd pay another $5 for the flash to fire at any shutter speed (and no, I'm not expecting it to sync at any shutter speed for $5, just fire). I could save a few bucks with all those silly filters, HDR, and a bunch of other stuff I've never looked at
02-16-2016, 07:36 AM   #229

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Pentax could do that and Charge $3000 but they decided against it. Mirrorless is better for video anyway. It is after all mainly a photographers camera. Next one will get 4k for sure because it will be main stream by then.
Yeah, or less. Thats just excuses. Why smaller the target market instead of increasing it?

02-16-2016, 07:44 AM   #230
Pentaxian

Increasing market share through selling a 50% more expensive product? Then the 645z must be a high volume camera
02-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #231
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I'm reread your post. Did you want to scroll through every increment of shutter speed, so there would be 60 clicks between 180 seconds and 240 seconds? That's a lot of scrolling.

Look how M mode works today. It jumps from 25 to 30 seconds. Roughly half a stop.
Your way would function OK but would still be more limited.

I work with music synthesizers that have knobs for large parameter values and see it depends on the speed of the dial vs number on the screen -- one swipe of the knob could potentially jump by a large amount depending on the speed and distance the knob was spun.

Another option would be to simply allow one to program 100s 10s and 1s individually similar to the intervalometer. Very little scrolling (0-9). Could program with the 4 way pad and then allow one of the knobs to fine tune. IF you're setting a shutter time in the 100s of seconds then speed of programming wouldn't be an issue. Perhaps they could do both your way and my way -- provide a few extra long shutter speeds and then an X mode at the end that is programmable. There are a variety of ways to do this, but I'm looking at removing limitations in body vs pocketing another thing (to forget to bring) to the shoot.
02-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #232
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlosK3 Quote
Why smaller the target market instead of increasing it?
Because nobody significant cares. They were clear that video is extremely low on their priority.

What is the answer why a Porsche 911 doesnt provide the same loading space as a truck?
They could easily do it. There are people who jump ship to the trucks. Nobody cares.

People need to grown up and understand that their needs might be irrelevant and certain makers are fine with the irrelevant crowd leaving.
It's just the same as the handful grandpas whining about the "crippled mount": Irrelevant.

A Porsche 911 is no truck and will not be made a truck.

And that is very good.

02-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #233
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlosK3 Quote
Yeah, or less. Thats just excuses. Why smaller the target market instead of increasing it?
Just wait and see what comes. Until Ricoh says, "This is what we did" then we will not know for sure.

---------- Post added 02-16-16 at 10:16 AM ----------

Also, the funny thing is that Samsung went back to USB 2 from USB 3 when it went from the Galaxy S6 from the Galaxy S5. It was weird, but I really haven't missed it.
02-16-2016, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #234
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
It's just the same as the handful grandpas whining about the "crippled mount"
Hey, we aren't ALL grandpas.
02-16-2016, 08:24 AM   #235
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
(...)
It's just the same as the handful grandpas whining about the "crippled mount"(...)
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Hey, we aren't ALL grandpas.
Don't be sexist indeed: there might be some grandmas too .
02-16-2016, 08:27 AM   #236
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Don't be sexist indeed: there might be some grandmas too
The grandpas still tend to be more argumentative. (And in my case I meant that I'm simply NOT that old and don't yet have grandchildren.)
02-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #237
Pentaxian

On long exposure, I'd like two things in Pentax bodies: 1) the ability to meter up to one minute without using bulb (instead of the current 30 seconds limit). 2) "Live Bulb Mode". This is a feature OIympus m4/3s camera have that displays the image on the back LCD as it is coming in (possibly also with histogram, not sure). Using this you can basically expose until you're happy with the histogram, provided you have enough battery. These two features would make long exposure shooting more pleasurable, though I agree it can all be done using simple bulb mode. I don't think the K-1 is likely to have either of these however...
02-16-2016, 08:40 AM   #238
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Grandpas can embrace the Green Button, too.
02-16-2016, 08:47 AM   #239
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why is nobody complaining about the missing OBF yet?
02-16-2016, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #240
Pentaxian

The missing... Out of Box Failure? I won't be complaining about that!