Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 320 Likes Search this Thread
02-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #286

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The number of frames for a battery charge are measured according to the CIPA methodology, which includes using flash for 50% of the images.
Wait a minute... that might explain the difference. Now I'm no longer convinced the K-1 is more power efficient than the lower resolution (but faster fps) K-3.
So a CIPA measuremente is not possible with the K-1, having no flash then it's not within the parameters for testing, or how would that work? Is there another set of parameters for testing cameras without flash? I guess then that comparing the K-3 and the K-1 is apples to oranges (on battery life).

02-16-2016, 06:07 PM   #287
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Aside from it's slightly faster flash sync speed, I wonder if the K-1 will introduce other flash improvements which would be useful for pros.

An in-built 2.4GHz P-TTL flash controller would be nice. There seems to be room in the K-1 hump for that. Plus a new flash to support RF wireless P-TTL. Or a new wireless receiver to allow control of existing P-TTL flashes.
A wireless controller would be very nice. Support for a leaf lens and producing a couple of leaf lenses would be even better. I kind of wish they would buy Paul C. Buff and get into the strobe business.
02-16-2016, 06:44 PM   #288
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I kind of wish they would buy Paul C. Buff and get into the strobe business.
Ricoh could also buy RED and bring specialized Cine equipment to the people who want it.
02-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #289
Imp
Pentaxian

I feel I need to repeat myself because my soul pines for this so badly... if even the next aps-c had amazing video, i'd not hesitate to buy it. Otherwise I'm content with my K-30, until that dream camera comes out...

02-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #290

Buy RED and let Pentax for pro still only is a great choice. After the "democratization" of full HD, cinema-like filmmaking (mostly with the Canon 5D, and now will almost every DSLR), brands like RED, arri, are making more affordable gear. And now there's blackmagic, kine raw mini, etc. IMHO sony A7 is for prosumer market, and I dont know where this market is going, but is not going DSLR.

I would love the K1 to have a good video, but I also love that is a PHOTOGRAPHY camera, not a "all in one" solution. Anyway, fullHD 60p (not 60i) is great and enough for me....at the moment.

It is true that all the legacy lenses, specially the takumars, are just amazing for filmmaking. The 3 filmmakers that work with me, have canon, but all of them have a couple of takumar, and even smc pentax, all with k mount adapters since you dont need AF for filmmaking.

Last edited by Enrique S Toso; 02-16-2016 at 07:34 PM.
02-16-2016, 09:07 PM   #291
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
Was wondering if I'd see a lot of difference for the crop mode. Since I'm used to a K-5 IIs, I'd not see much difference.
Might be a different story for those used to K-3's for birding. Thanks!
I know there has been a lot of speculation (anticipation?) that K-3 owners will sell their camera bodies in droves to buy the FF. I would be more inclined to keep mine to use with APS-C telephoto lenses and save the primes for the FF, especially given the price of the DFA zooms. Given the FPS on the FF vs. the K-3 it would make more sense. A used K-3 is only garnering between $400 - $500 used now. Not worth abandoning a great 24 megapixel APS-C camera for that amount of money. I'd rather just wait a little longer and have both
02-16-2016, 09:17 PM   #292
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
FWIW, I'm in for the K-1.
Haha I hope so, I vividly remember your motivational posts years ago reminding us that Ricoh has a plan and we will be happy. Now it's your turn to say I told you so.

Though can this forum really be happy? #pentaxisdoomed.

02-16-2016, 09:28 PM   #293
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
#pentaxisdoomed.
That's worth repeating.....Catch the misprint? Otis was drinking (again), but if you like the T-shirt, he is selling them at 1/2 price!

02-16-2016, 09:28 PM   #294
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Given the hardware is relatively bug free and the AF works well, (with good results from the sensor) I think this is a good start for the FF Pentax line

I would like them to produce a cheaper model without all the not needed rubbish like gps, wifi, hdmi, video and the like. A good basic but solid working Stills FF, maybe 20mp, faster frame rate, over all less bells and whistles, this i think would sell like hot cakes.
02-16-2016, 09:49 PM   #295

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Given the hardware is relatively bug free and the AF works well, (with good results from the sensor) I think this is a good start for the FF Pentax line

I would like them to produce a cheaper model without all the not needed rubbish like gps, wifi, hdmi, video and the like. A good basic but solid working Stills FF, maybe 20mp, faster frame rate, over all less bells and whistles, this i think would sell like hot cakes.
Yes, I hope they get it right the first time. There seems to have been a rash of issues from various brands as of late. Having the K1 dialed in from day one will go a long way in terms of brand reputation.
02-16-2016, 10:01 PM   #296

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote

I would guess none of those things add much to the price. The Video capability is very basic and they appear to have spent no time on it since the K-3 release, there are no features over what the K-3 has as far as video is concerned. All the new developments in it seemed to be aimed at stills photography from the specs I've seen so far.
Seems to me this is low a spec as one could expect from their first FF DSLR, and therefore the cheapest they were likely to make.
I hope there is some feature that has been kept under wraps, one or two people have alluded to a surprise or two in store. We shall see in the next day.

John.
02-16-2016, 10:12 PM   #297
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jhmos Quote
All the new developments in it seemed to be aimed at stills photography from the specs I've seen so far.
They know their market, John.

But I'm kidding - I understand that video doesn't matter to most of us, but that to some forum members it's tremendously important.
02-16-2016, 10:17 PM   #298
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I understand that video doesn't matter to most of us, but that to some forum members it's tremendously important.
Typical market push-pull. We want video Vs We don't care about video.
02-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #299
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The answer to that question is individually determined by one's spouse.

"Well, too bad. You already spent your hobby budget on all those old lenses. What are you going to do with them anyway?"

It just means my 'In-Bag Acceptance Date' and Ricoh's 'In-Store Release Date' are no longer coincident.

a reasonable analysis. what I did is KEEP the lenses from film days, ---the only ones I consistently got rid of were the M's and other pre K-A models that I traded in years ago as I didn't want to be bothered....

I've mostly not been a great fan of Zooms --- well except on the wide end,
02-16-2016, 10:37 PM   #300

There is another update of the specs on digicame-info.com. Looks like we are back at FHD 60i .

??????K-1????????????????? - ????info