Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 03:42 PM - 3 Likes   #481
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I've switched to Nikon three years ago. Sold Pentax cameras, flashes, accessories. However I kept three FA limiters. Was waiting for Pentax FF.

But these specs are disappointing. 36 Megapixels and only 4.4 fps Way too much megapixels and way too slow.

My three FA limiteds will be listed in marketplace soon...
Actually, the specifications are precisely spot-on perfect. No frilly racer-boy stuff I'll never use, 300,000 actuation shutter (heavier so slower), 6.5 fps jpg (I don't shoot raw bursts), 33 AF points is plenty, it's K-mount and it's $1,800.

02-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #482

QuoteOriginally posted by indy Quote
Try it with the exact same subject. You will probably find that the traditional long exposure look is superior to stacking. Of course this just my opinion. I did this with a GR for a few waterfalls and, hands down, I prefered the looks of the long exposure. I wish I had kept both so I could show a comparison. Maybe someone else has done this with good results and can post samples and explain their technique.
That is actually interesting, I must try that when i find a suitable subject. I have no clue what could cause this difference. I assume your total stacked exposure time was the same as the long exposure?
02-17-2016, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #483
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I think the price reflects the dated specifications. The camera is a good value. Its basically a D800 (minus the better AF) for $1,800. That is a pretty good deal. My question is, why did it take so many years to make a 5 year old camera?
How does the D800 do at ISO 204800?
02-17-2016, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #484
Veteran Member

My question is, why did it take so many years to make a 5 year old camera?
It's a fair question. I guess they were just waiting for the D800 sensor to find it's way into the bargain bin.

I do wish they had been a little bit more ambitious, particularly with the AF and the viewfinder. I was SO looking forward to wider frame coverage AF, and focus peaking (or similar manual focus aids) via an overlay in the viewfinder.

Oh well. There is clearly value there, so I will probably still buy one.

02-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #485
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
But these specs are disappointing. 36 Megapixels and only 4.4 fps Way too much megapixels and way too slow. My three FA limiteds will be listed in marketplace soon...
Well, I'm "disappointed" too but to be fair the K-1 is actually slightly faster than my current D800 but ever so slightly slower than the D810. And it must be mentioned that it is faster and/or has a bigger buffer than either the D750 and D600. So while it would be awesome if it were 6.5fps @ 36mp, 4.4fps would neither be a significant improvement nor significant liability vis a vis Nikon's FX offerings. There are however other issues that may encourage me to keep my D800 for another year or two rather than switch out my FX for Pentax. For the time being, I'm a rather happy camper with my old D800 and new K-3ii. Makes for a nice system. I hope to rent a K-1 later this year and do a side-by-side comparison.

Michael
02-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #486

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Higher bitrate? Good video quality? That's what matters, to me, more than video AF, in camera aperture during recording, video button, etc. Maybe a clean HDMI external out. Good video and clean out. That's all I need.
Smartphones will have 8k-RAW video and 500fps FHD before Pentax starts implementing FHD 60 and clean output. So keep dreaming

---------- Post added 02-18-16 at 12:14 AM ----------

I think the price reflects the dated specifications. The camera is a good value. Its basically a D800 (minus the better AF) for $1,800. That is a pretty good deal. My question is, why did it take so many years to make a 5 year old camera?
Inventing the articulating screen And finding the right name for the camera.
02-17-2016, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #487
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's a fair question. I guess they were just waiting for the D800 sensor to find it's way into the bargain bin.

I do wish they had been a little bit more ambitious, particularly with the AF and the viewfinder. I was SO looking forward to wider frame coverage AF, and focus peaking (or similar manual focus aids) via an overlay in the viewfinder.

Oh well. There is clearly value there, so I will probably still buy one.
Its a great value. I don't have an issue with the 36MP sensor, but this camera is pretty much 5 year old stuff. They even went back to USB 2.0 and stuck with SDXC UHS-I when several companies like Fuji have moved to UHS-II. I thought USB 3.0 and UHS-II were a given for a new camera. Those are minor features, but all the more reason for them to use them.

As I have said in previous posts. All the modern sensors are more than capable of professional results. It will be the AF that will make or break this camera if Ricoh is serious about the PRO market as some people have claimed. The D750 is selling for $1,999 so if Ricoh can match that AF performance, they will have a winner at the current price.

Last edited by Winder; 02-17-2016 at 07:27 PM.
02-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #488
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlosK3 Quote
Smartphones will have 8k-RAW video and 500fps FHD before Pentax starts implementing FHD 60 and clean output. So keep dreaming

---------- Post added 02-18-16 at 12:14 AM ----------

Inventing the articulating screen And finding the right name for the camera.
Candidate for a smartphone with a cool kiddie name?
02-17-2016, 04:30 PM   #489
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 300,000-cycle shutter is probably a larger-than-full-frame design (needed for the new five-axis SR system). At an upgraded 1/200s sync speed, I'd want to suspect that this is a professional-grade carbon-fiber shutter assembly of the sort used on flagship C&N cameras.

Edit: From the image posted on this page, it definitely is carbon fiber on two of the shutter curtains (notice the texturing):

02-17-2016, 05:58 PM - 4 Likes   #490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Its a great value. I don't have an issue with the 36MP sensor, but this camera is pretty much 5 year old stuff. They even went back to USB 3.0 and stuck with SDXC UHS-I when several companies like Fuji have moved to UHS-II. I thought USB 3.0 and UHS-II were a given for a new camera. Those are minor features, but all the more reason for them to use them.

As I have said in previous posts. All the modern sensors are more than capable of professional results. It will be the AF that will make or break this camera if Ricoh is serious about the PRO market as some people have claimed. The D750 is selling for $1,999 so if Ricoh can match that AF performance, they will have a winner at the current price.
You're not getting it. F the 'Pro' market! This is for your typical run of the mill loyal Pentaxian who has been using Apsc cameras for numerous years and stuck with it because they like the brand, the ethos, the lens available now and in the past, the we will AF on a black cat in a coal bunker but not so much predictive tracking, the rock solid build, the peerless ergonomics, the unique to Pentax program modes, the do it our way because you know what? We believe our system works... This is a loyalty payment, a stepping stone up from, and a stepping stone to its big brother the 645.
02-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #491

QuoteOriginally posted by xandos Quote
That is actually interesting, I must try that when i find a suitable subject. I have no clue what could cause this difference. I assume your total stacked exposure time was the same as the long exposure?
Yes, I made it a point to match the time then push it in both directions. I did not go past 60 seconds or so. 60+ seconds may be where you start to see the advantages of stacking.
02-17-2016, 06:13 PM   #492
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
I am naive about this, but how much of a difference would ISO 50 make?
It makes a big difference when you take flash sync into account.
02-17-2016, 06:29 PM   #493
Veteran Member

UHS-I at SDR104 is now supported. This is an upgrade from the K-3 II, which was only capable of SDR50 mode. This should mean that data transfer rates are now doubled, much needed given the dramatically increased output file sizes.
02-17-2016, 07:16 PM - 2 Likes   #494
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

. The D750 is selling for $1,999
???

'Jaw dropping' comment from you, Winder. 😉

The D750 costs more and is only 24Mps with no SR or pixel shift.
02-17-2016, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #495
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
You're not getting it. F the 'Pro' market!
No. You're not getting it. The Pentax Ambassador said this camera was aimed at the PRO market. Ricoh is after professionals, or so they say. You are correct. This camera is an enthusiasts camera. Nothing wrong with that. This camera is a great value.

---------- Post added 02-17-16 at 08:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
???

'Jaw dropping' comment from you, Winder. 😉

The D750 costs more and is only 24Mps with no SR or pixel shift.
It costs $100 dollars more. The mega-pickles are irrelevant. The D4 is 16MP. How is that priced?

The D750 happens to be priced to compete in the same market that Ricoh is going for. The D750 has very good AF. Better than the D810 or the D4. It doesn't matter how many mega-pickles you have if they are out of focus. The more mega-pickles you have the more critical focus become.