Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 07:41 PM - 4 Likes   #496
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
No. You're not getting it. The Pentax Ambassador said this camera was aimed at the PRO market. Ricoh is after professionals, or so they say. You are correct. This camera is an enthusiasts camera. Nothing wrong with that. This camera is a great value.
Agreed, but a Pentax Ambassador who posts in an unofficial capacity. Any interview with official Pentax representatives have not suggested anything about targeting the 'Pro' market but observing the wish that it's current customer base would like to be able to use a FF sensor.
A 'Pro' who is taking shots for a publication in F1 or Indy car or football will not even acknowledge this camera, they operate at a 'Pro' level above the majority of self proclaimed pros. A landscape pro could use this but would probably lament the lack of nice Zeiss glass, a wedding pro will be waiting for the DFA*70-200 first, a fashion studio pro will most likely be using Medium Format. But it does beg the question, what does a 'Pro' actually need in a camera? I know of pros that can use a smartphone and deliver amazing results, the best wedding photographer I have ever seen turned up with an LX, a K50/1.4, shot 3 rolls of film and each shot was a keeper, obviously he can't have been a 'Pro' where was his zooms? , flash? and latest and greatest predictive tracking? Dunno, he was Italian, cool as a breeze, came in, did his job and was gone.
What I'm trying to say is that there is an set of people on the Internet who frequent photographic forums and they class themselves as pros... Noisy lot too, fairly opinionated, and demanding. I don't think Ricoh have designed this camera for this class of photographic professional, rather they designed it for their users.

Go to the official K-1 website. I have looked for professional bias in the marketing but have found a user bias instead.
http://www.pentax.com/en/k-1/challengers/challengers01.html

Last edited by robbiec; 02-17-2016 at 08:05 PM.
02-17-2016, 07:46 PM   #497
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No. You're not getting it. The Pentax Ambassador said this camera was aimed at the PRO market. Ricoh is after professionals, or so they say. You are correct. This camera is an enthusiasts camera. Nothing wrong with that. This camera is a great value.

---------- Post added 02-17-16 at 08:25 PM ----------

It costs $100 dollars more. The mega-pickles are irrelevant. The D4 is 16MP. How is that priced?

The D750 happens to be priced to compete in the same market that Ricoh is going for. The D750 has very good AF. Better than the D810 or the D4. It doesn't matter how many mega-pickles you have if they are out of focus. The more mega-pickles you have the more critical focus become.
The only thing the D750 beats the K-1 with is AF in all other aspects the K-1 wins much better build SR,GPS, it was not built to compete against D750 which is a budget sports camera it was built to compete with D810 which it does very well at a much better price.
02-17-2016, 07:53 PM - 2 Likes   #498
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

It costs $100 dollars more. The mega-pickles are irrelevant.

Is that because your A7 II only has 24 of them? :-D

That 'first whiner' prize another member awarded you ... it needs to be framed, in glass, and sent to you.

Do stay on hold while we get your contact details!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/314236-have-you-pre-ordere...ml#post3535029

Last edited by clackers; 02-17-2016 at 08:01 PM.
02-17-2016, 07:58 PM   #499
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
The only thing the D750 beats the K-1 with is AF
On paper perhaps, but in real world shooting conditions: we don't know that for certain...

02-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #500
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
On paper perhaps, but in real world shooting conditions: we don't know that for certain...
That is true
02-17-2016, 08:07 PM - 2 Likes   #501
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Winder actually is a reasonable critic. I read and appreciate his comments, though in the end we often disagree, in many things we are closer than I would have thought at first.

However, beyond the academic notion that we want some professionals to adopt the camera because it helps keep the brand alive, whoever else shoots K-1 has no impact on me. What features exist on some other camera aren't important. This is primarily a really good camera for people who already use Pentax.

I am currently in negotiations.
02-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #502
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Is that because your A7 II only has 24 of them? :-D

That 'first whiner' prize another member awarded you ... it needs to be framed, in glass, and sent to you.

Do stay on hold while we get your contact details!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/314236-have-you-pre-ordere...ml#post3535029
No. If I wanted more mega-pickles I would buy the A7rII. For wedding and portrait work I really don't need more than 24MP. I spend more time brushing skin than I want already.

If my comments about "what specifications are Jaw dropping" is considered whining, then fine. Kenspro said some of the specs were "jaw dropping" and I don't see anything jaw dropping about it. Ricoh has rolled out a great camera for a great price, but it is less than I expected.

Have I preordered? No. I will wait to see how the AF performs. Like I said. That is the most important feature for me. I have had the K-7, the K-5, & currently the K-3. I will probably buy the K-1 because of my LTD glass.

02-17-2016, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #503
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I am currently in negotiations.
with...Finance Minister, Retailer,...?
02-17-2016, 08:22 PM   #504
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
I will guess with his wife in order to pre-order the K-1.
02-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #505
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had the K-7, the K-5, & currently the K-3. I will probably buy the K-1 because of my LTD glass.
The only reason is your limited lenses? they work just fine on the K7,K5 and K3 don't they?
02-17-2016, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #506
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think kenspo is a bit overwhelmed by the attention he has received and doesn't fully understand colloquial English. I also sense a tiny hint that he's a bit underwhelmed. From my perspective this camera Is a jaw-dropping value and has every feature I want. Sorry the video users are disappointed but anyone should have known in advance they would be.

Motion Controllable Pixel Shift is what he was talking about. We won't know what it is for a few days. It's a shame so many people are calling him out over two words in one single post.
02-17-2016, 08:24 PM   #507
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Yes, No.

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I will guess with his wife in order to pre-order the K-1.
02-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #508
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The only reason is your limited lenses? they work just fine on the K7,K5 and K3 don't they?
AF improvements mainly. Lenses worked fine.
02-17-2016, 08:27 PM - 2 Likes   #509
Pentaxian

The sub $2000 full frames compromise by having lower resolution. Ricoh has produced a high resolution body under $2k. All the flaws and failings of the Sony full frame were immaterial at $1600.

I've not decided yet, but there is a good chance I will get this. Last summer I was finding the 500mm too long, not sure why, possibly being better at being close. I yearn for a fast 400mm. Now I can get close to that, with high resolution and lots of other things like electronic shutter in live view.

24m full frame doesn't interest me in the least. I want clean high resolution. The low resolution bodies sold well and were popular because they were affordable.

The frame rate is a bit slow, but haven't seen afc rates.

But the price. I could wait for most of a year for an apsc upgrade, it will depend on how good the af is. This may open up different avenues of photography, landscape for example.

Not an automatic buy, but the price is very compelling.

In a way this offering reminds me of when I was looking for an office printer. Something that would do larger format paper. I don't need color, simply a workhorse. There are lots on the market, most would work well. I found a Ricoh model that was less than half the price, with all the necessary features. The reviews were characterized by people getting, setting up and forgetting as the machine reliably and economically did what was expected. When Pentax talks Pro market they are talking about people who need solid performers that just work at a good price. They will sell two of these to people who have wanted a second body but couldn't justify $6k. That is the professional market they understand, thd same things that characterize the tools I use. Reasonably priced, reliable and designed to do it's job well.
02-17-2016, 08:36 PM   #510
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
...It's a shame so many people are calling him out over two words in one single post.
It's said that Roger Casement was hanged for the want of a comma...