Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 320 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #511
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think kenspo is a bit overwhelmed by the attention he has received and doesn't fully understand colloquial English. I also sense a tiny hint that he's a bit underwhelmed. From my perspective this camera Is a jaw-dropping value and has every feature I want. Sorry the video users are disappointed but anyone should have known in advance they would be.

Motion Controllable Pixel Shift is what he was talking about. We won't know what it is for a few days. It's a shame so many people are calling him out over two words in one single post.
Not trying to call him out. I made the statement about "jaw dropping" because I assumed I missed something big in the specs.

The motion controllable Pixel Shift might be amazing, but we need to see how it works and the limitations. There are a lot of features that look good on paper (like mega-pickles), but aren't really that important for most people. The pixel shift in the K-3II requires a tri-pod, continuous lighting (not strobes) and a perfectly still subject. That is a lot of limitations. Will the new system work with flash? That would be huge. The 36MP sensor already produces excellent images that print really big. How big do I need to print to see the improvements of the new pixel shift technology? The selectable AA filter on my K-3 is probably really cool technology. I have never turned in on and never had an issue with moire. The image quality of the K-1 is going to be excellent with or without pixel shift.

02-17-2016, 08:37 PM   #512
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Pentax need to save in some areas to keep aggressive pricing, USB2 may be one of the more obvious simplifications. For me no USB, USB2 or USB3 does not matter.
I came across the following somewhere:

The difference between USB 2.0 -3.0 Interface IC is minimal, roughly 70-90 cents

I'm sure that at the retail level the above translates to more than the numbers indicate. I've seen other cases in the past where pennies are saved at the manufacturing level in order to keep retail prices down.
02-17-2016, 08:47 PM   #513
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Update: Official specs have been posted
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/314043-full-k-1-spec-list.html

Here are the full specs of the K-1.

??????K-1??????? - ????info

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://digicame-info.co...ml&prev=search

- 36.4MP CMOS sensor. No low pass filter.
- Real resolution (pixel shift)
- Image processing engine PRIME IV
- Sensor Size: 35.9 x 24.0mm
- Video is full HD 60p
- 4K interval movie
- 14-bit RAW
- DR II
- KAF2 mount (KAF3, KAF2, KAF, KA, compatible with power zoom lens)
- AF sensor SAFOX12. AF point is 33 points (25 points are cross-type). -3EV Correspondence
- AF assist light
- Viewfinder magnification 0.70 times. 100% field of view
- Natural-Bright-Matte III focusing screen
- LCD monitor 3.2 inches 1,037,000 dot. Flexible tilting
- GPS built-in. Wi-Fi built-in
- Shutter unit of the compact new design. Durability is 300,000 shots
- Shutter speed is 30 seconds -1/8000 seconds. Synchro speed is 1/200 sec
- Media SD / SDHC / SDXC (UHS-I). Dual card slot
- USB terminal (USB2.0, micro B), HDMI terminal (type D)
- Microphone jack, a headphone jack, X contact
- 5-axis camera shake correction. Effective for five stops.
- Electronic Level
- Photometry sensor 86000 pixel RGB sensor
- ISO range is 100-204800
- Continuous shooting 4.4 frames / sec (full size). 6.5 frames / sec. (APS-C)
- Buffer 70 shots JPEG, 17 shots RAW (when full-size 4.4 frames / sec.)
- The battery is D-LI90
- Battery life is 760 shots
- The body is magnesium alloy and stainless steel. Dust and water resistant. -10 Degrees of resistance to low temperature
- Size: 136.5 x110 x 85.5mm
- Weight: 925g
I know I will come across as the bad guy for saying this but, I can't help but feel let down with the release of the K-1. That said, I guess the upside is that the following Pentax FF camera's will only get better as time goes on.

PS. I don't know if I'm the only person who remembers, but in the days of the K series introduction, I recall thinking that Pentax would one day reach a milestone by delivering a K-1 flagship camera that would put fear into all of the other camera manufacturers.
02-17-2016, 08:48 PM   #514
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
will guess with his wife in order to pre-order the K-1.
...thank god I'm single...

02-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #515
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@winder. Yes, as usual for the Forum we have sliced and diced the camera before the doors are even open on the booth 'hold and try' area, much less burning a couple thousand images.
02-17-2016, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #516
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
in the days of the K series introduction, I recall thinking that Pentax would one day reach a milestone by delivering a K-1 flagship camera that would put fear into all of the other camera manufacturers.
HOYA has a lot to do with how things have turned out, for starters the K-1 would have been released much sooner if Pentax paired up with Ricoh sooner.
02-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #517

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If my comments about "what specifications are Jaw dropping" is considered whining, then fine. Kenspro said some of the specs were "jaw dropping" and I don't see anything jaw dropping about it. Ricoh has rolled out a great camera for a great price, but it is less than I expected.
What kenspo said:

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Just been an hour in the phone with Ricoh..Now i know ALL specs and little features. There are a few minor disappointments..but there will be some new features that will make your jaw drop..and that no other brand has on their pro cameras. So get ready for some neat surprises

02-17-2016, 08:58 PM   #518
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What kenspo said:
OK. The price is the only thing that came close to making my jaw drop. That is a great price for a D810 in K-mount.
02-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #519
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I've switched to Nikon three years ago. Sold Pentax cameras, flashes, accessories. However I kept three FA limiters. Was waiting for Pentax FF.

But these specs are disappointing. 36 Megapixels and only 4.4 fps Way too much megapixels and way too slow.

My three FA limiteds will be listed in marketplace soon...
The K-1 offers a few unique functions, so other than higher spec video, what would you have expected to find?
02-17-2016, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #520
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I know I will come across as the bad guy for saying this but, I can't help but feel let down with the release of the K-1. That said, I guess the upside is that the following Pentax FF camera's will only get better as time goes on.

PS. I don't know if I'm the only person who remembers, but in the days of the K series introduction, I recall thinking that Pentax would one day reach a milestone by delivering a K-1 flagship camera that would put fear into all of the other camera manufacturers.
Why do you think that this isn't the case?

A sub (not by pennies) $2k well appointed full frame with high resolution. I thought at the time that Ricoh delayed the release when they saw the $1600 Sony full frame and realized that their target price range wouldn't sell, so they bought 6 months to shave costs to compete.

And they did. All the other manufacturers are facing the same challenge, and now Ricoh shows up with this. Ricoh will sell lots of these.

At least it isn't 1/3 the price as the 645Z is to it's competitors. But it is about 1/3 cheaper for something comparable.
02-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #521
bxf
Veteran Member

All the modern sensors are more than capable of professional results. It will be the AF that will make or break this camera
Really? AF is the only important criterion? AF-C may be lacking compared to the best, but not ever pro job requires great AF tracking, if at all. Are no other attributes that may may the camera desirable for some?
02-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #522
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The few things I would have liked that didn't make it weren't enough to stop me from preordering it at this price point. Sure, I'd have liked the 42mp sensor. Sure, I'd have liked 4k video at 60fps (or even 30), and sure, I wanted lower ISO availability, but you know what? At the end of the day this is a camera that is 700 LESS than what i had set aside for a FF and I already have lenses that should have full compatibility from 12-450mm, more with the inclusion of the 1.4 tc and 1.7 afa. I will use my APSC only ones on my K3, and I will use the K3 for long shots too, so I will have a great package with this and what I have. I am content.
02-17-2016, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #523
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I came across the following somewhere:

The difference between USB 2.0 -3.0 Interface IC is minimal, roughly 70-90 cents

I'm sure that at the retail level the above translates to more than the numbers indicate. I've seen other cases in the past where pennies are saved at the manufacturing level in order to keep retail prices down.
It wasn't the cost savings that prompted them a USB2.0. It was the power spec of 3.0 and the limitation of the SD card speeds. There aren't SD cards faster than 480MB/s (max USB2.0 tx speed). So it is a moot point. Also the connector size (the real estate inside the camera) and the adoption of a USB3.0 on an SLR body.
02-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #524
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
When Pentax talks Pro market they are talking about people who need solid performers that just work at a good price. They will sell two of these to people who have wanted a second body but couldn't justify $6k. That is the professional market they understand, thd same things that characterize the tools I use. Reasonably priced, reliable and designed to do it's job well.
Yes. Great AF-C or high-end video is not the highest priority for everybody.
02-17-2016, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #525
Pentaxian

OK. The price is the only thing that came close to making my jaw drop. That is a great price for a D810 in K-mount.
Frankly I do understand, but this is as important as the Sony $1600 full frame that came out last year. It wasn't extraordinarily high resolution, and had some things that made it a non starter for some, but it redefined the market, including for Ricoh. This body will as well, as a high resolution sub $2k full frame.

By next black friday it may be a $1500 body. I paid $1300 for the K3 when it came out.

I'm not certain whether Ricoh will satisfy the high end demands that are driven by specific requirements. This offering is bread and butter, a functional compelling offering for the price that will satisfy a large segment of the market. Pentax will live to see another day and be in a position to pursue other market segments. It will generate cash flow to fund the service and support necessary for higher end offerings.

A $3500 masterpiece would have been a disaster no matter how exceptional the performance.