Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 320 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2016, 11:41 PM   #541
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the pixel peeping feature would be locked, the digital camera industry would suffer a lot.

02-17-2016, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #542
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
it will be interesting to see if in reality the K-1 AF performs a lot better than the spec sheet would suggest.
So you can project accurately on how well the AF system will perform by looking at the spec sheet? In relation to previous models what are your thoughts on the Nikon D5 then?
02-18-2016, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #543
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
So you can project accurately on how well the AF system will perform by looking at the spec sheet?
I don't think it's unreasonable to look at the K-3 AF specs, and my usage of the K-3, and then form a view on how the K-1's AF might perform, given the direct technical similarity of the K-1 and K-3 AF systems. The K-3 AF will be a pretty good guide to how the K-1 AF will perform, I bet.

The K-3 AF generally, and AF-C in particular, btw, is really quite good, even compared to some Nikon FF's, particularly when the light is low.
02-18-2016, 12:32 AM - 1 Like   #544

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
With my photography high ISO performance is essential, so 36 megapixels doesn't cut it at any framerate. I would choose 16 Megapixel camera over 36 Megapixel any day, 36 Megapixels for me means just noisier images and headache when thinking about storage space.
Yes Edvinas, I sympathize with your plight - but then I remember that in a prior post you had told us of your defection to Nikon three years ago.
Now considering that the Nikon D810 tops out at ISO 12800, I have a hard time understanding what you want.
Besides, you had also told us before that you kept your three amigos, which you are now going to sell because the K-1 has inadequate frame rates... Or so you say. Again, considering that the Nikon D810 has only 5fps this is bordering on the ludicrous, particularly as the three amigos are known for many fine properties - but lightning fast is not one of them.

02-18-2016, 12:45 AM - 4 Likes   #545
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't understand why some people are croaking. This is a great FF camera that offers too many features that FF from Canonikon can't even dream about (mainly due to the capabilities the SR II offers). There is no PERFECT camera as there is no perfect anything out there. If you feel that this camera doesn't fit your style of photography just go on and buy a Nikon D810. I can't wait to get the K-1 and my 24-70/2.8 for more or less the same price and do some astrophotography that I always wanted to do!

I think Pentax-Ricoh made a very clever move and released a high resolution pro level camera in such an affordable price. This is a groundbreaking move when a few days earlier the sport models of Canonikon were announced at the 6K region... Even if no new users are attracted by the K-1, even if there won't be any switchers from other brands (IMHO there will be many) Pentax with this great release tempts the old Pentaxians to pull their money out of their mattresses and go buy the new DSLR to play with their beloved FF lenses in a modern body for the joy of photography! No other company respects its users-supporters so much! Don't forget that with those 3-6K FF bodies from other companies you get the absolutely necessary features and every new generation cuts some extend of compatibility with older ones so they force you to spend even more.

I'm mostly into aviation, sport and wildlife photography and until today I could work around K-5IIs disadvantages and produce photos that were making many pro FF photographers go "WOW great shot". I'm sure that with the K-1 I will have even greater potential to evolve as a photographer and produce pictures that I'll love. The AF-C and AF in general might not compete with the D5 or D500, but I don't care! I will find my way to bring the game to the sectors where K-1 excels, and I see many! After all I want to be part of the picture that I make and there are many "photographers" out there who know less than basics about photography but carry 15K of the latest equipment that even a mole could get impressive captions with ... That's not my style and thanks God not Pentax's style either that's why I'm a proud Pentaxian and I will remain faithful to what I love...

I could write many things but I'm so excited that I have no time to spend to reply to negativity in here. To conclude, I congratulate Pentax. A few years ago (you can read the posts) everyone was wondering about the existence of Pentax as a company at all. Now I really see a bright future if they go on with this strategy of "the best camera for your money at every DSLR category" Pentax is involved in.

As for the rest: if you wait for another 10 years there will be robot cameras that will provide continuous AF tracking with their embedded AA radars and they will be able to track and shot a 100 burst on a flying may-beetle 15 meters away... Ah just don't forget to mark the resulting photographs with your personal data... after all you were the ones who pressed the button to that remote control while lying in your hammock...
02-18-2016, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #546
cih

Photos: Albums
I am most excited about the Astro tracer feature in this camera. Its clever implementation using sensor shift and GPS would remove the star trails and allow for longer exposures.

Wide angle lenses typically handle this issue better. Now, with the full frame capability, my widest lenses on Pentax would be 1.5 times wider.

Plus the higher ISO capabilities of this camera would remove the graininess from my pictures. Like the one featured here that keeps annoying me. A click is worth a billion stars … | Road Trips, Adventures, Homestays and More
Overall for Astrophotography and for its price it seems to be a steal.
02-18-2016, 12:58 AM - 2 Likes   #547
Veteran Member

I think the Pentax site sums up what this camera is about...

“For better or for worse, today’s industrial products are very refined, whether it’s a camera or car,” he says. “I believe, however, that the PENTAX K-1 offers something beyond explanation. It integrates the different values and demands of many users. Consequently, it embodies elements of both praise and criticism. But all these elements are interlinked with one another to create a single entity called the PENTAX K-1. I think that’s what makes this camera so interesting, and what excites every Pentaxian.”

02-18-2016, 01:40 AM   #548

Sorry if this has already been shared / known, but has anyone seen the new expanded website

PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

Looks much more 'serious' than parts of the teaser campaign.
02-18-2016, 02:13 AM   #549
Veteran Member

So no more interchangeable focus screens. The price you pay for having a black LCD rectangle in the APS-C mode view. As if tunnel vision vignette wasn't enough.
02-18-2016, 03:17 AM - 6 Likes   #550
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
So no more interchangeable focus screens. The price you pay for having a black LCD rectangle in the APS-C mode view. As if tunnel vision vignette wasn't enough.
Mate........

Hop on a plane and come down to NZ. It is summer here. The sun is shining. It is warm. The people are friendly. The days are long.

And great news today - Pentax have announced a new full frame camera. It has great spec's and is very reasonably priced.

02-18-2016, 04:06 AM   #551

So no more interchangeable focus screens.
interesting. source please?

As if tunnel vision vignette wasn't enough.
what is "tunnel vision vignette"?
02-18-2016, 04:16 AM   #552
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
Smallprint in the middle of page 4 - 'The focusing screen is fixed on the camera body, and is not interchangeable.'
02-18-2016, 04:16 AM - 2 Likes   #553
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote

what is "tunnel vision vignette"?
Who cares..... there's a K1 party happening at Ross's place in New Zealand!
02-18-2016, 04:25 AM   #554
Veteran Member

So you complaining because you don't have to pay add-on cost for additional screen mattes as they are all simulated by the HUD.??

Some people will never be happy !

Luddites the lot of you

Out of curiosity how many screens did you buy for your k5,k3,k3ii etc etc

The only people who should be pxssed is katseye and co who's business model has just been obliterated.

Of cause you wont be able to reto fit non standard split prism mattes then send you camera for service because exposure is way off .... lmfao
02-18-2016, 04:31 AM   #555
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
So you complaining because you don't have to pay add-on cost for additional screen mattes as they are all simulated by the HUD.??

Some people will never be happy !

Luddites the lot of you
All the 'HUD' does is to show you a black rectangle and two level gauge bars which, knowing Pentax, won't be accurate anyhow. Pentax stock focus screens are traditionally useless with fast manual focus lenses.

---------- Post added 18-02-16 at 11:35 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Out of curiosity how many screens did you buy for your k5,k3,k3ii etc etc
I have a cut-down Canon Ee-S in both my K bodies.