Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #556
Pentaxian

Haters gonna hate.

02-18-2016, 04:48 AM   #557
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
All the 'HUD' does is to show you a black rectangle and two level gauge bars which, knowing Pentax, won't be accurate anyhow.
My, aren't we in a sour mood? Go on, then, and find something else that does what you want at the same price. Or stick with APS-C. Or go back to film and buy yourself an LX.
02-18-2016, 04:57 AM   #558
Pentaxian

In a Canon 5DIII you "can't" change the focus screen as well and it also has the overlay.
"Can't" isn't something I believe before trying.

Took me 2 minutes to put the same EE-S type focussing screen into my 5DIII as I use in the K-3II.

For people who want something there is always a way to get there.
Ok, we can start whining and stomp on the floor instead of taking responsibility ourselves, but that's not my preferred way.
02-18-2016, 05:51 AM   #559
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Really? AF is the only important criterion? AF-C may be lacking compared to the best, but not ever pro job requires great AF tracking, if at all. Are no other attributes that may may the camera desirable for some?
Yes. AF is what pushed Canon to the front and why Pentax fell behind. Sure there are small groups who have specific needs like macro who don't really need AF, but for mass market success it needs competitive AF. The sensor have become generic. The image processors are basically all the same. IQ is excellent from any camera manufacturer.

02-18-2016, 05:52 AM   #560
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
Yes Edvinas, I sympathize with your plight - but then I remember that in a prior post you had told us of your defection to Nikon three years ago.
Now considering that the Nikon D810 tops out at ISO 12800, I have a hard time understanding what you want.
Besides, you had also told us before that you kept your three amigos, which you are now going to sell because the K-1 has inadequate frame rates... Or so you say. Again, considering that the Nikon D810 has only 5fps this is bordering on the ludicrous, particularly as the three amigos are known for many fine properties - but lightning fast is not one of them.
I don't own D810. We (me and my wife) use D3s and D700. For a while I've used D600, but sold it (and got used D700) mainly because of it's high megapixel count and colours which my wife disliked a lot.

I have huge symphaty for Pentax and was planning to replace D700 as soon as Pentax FF comes out... However now I can see that K-1 is aimed primarily towards landscape and studio photographers, which aren't us.
02-18-2016, 05:58 AM   #561

Smallprint in the middle of page 4 - 'The focusing screen is fixed on the camera body, and is not interchangeable.'
Thank you!
That is indeed regrettable, i like my Ee-S very much, too.
Let's hope the standard screen provided by Pentax is top notch.

Edit: I'm just reading it is the same "Natural Bright Matte III" as in the K3. :-(
02-18-2016, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #562
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I don't own D810. We (me and my wife) use D3s and D700. For a while I've used D600, but sold it (and got used D700) mainly because of it's high megapixel count and colours which my wife disliked a lot.

I have huge symphaty for Pentax and was planning to replace D700 as soon as Pentax FF comes out... However now I can see that K-1 is aimed primarily towards landscape and studio photographers, which aren't us.
Which is not YOU.

You are not US.

02-18-2016, 06:04 AM - 7 Likes   #563
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yikes! People really have to nip around the edges to find things to complain about.

Must be a great camera then.
02-18-2016, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #564
Pentaxian

Well, seriously, speaking about K-1's autofocus performance NOW is just STUPID.
No production software.
No last/recent lenses on body.
ONLY prejudice positions.
02-18-2016, 06:15 AM   #565
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All the 'HUD' does is to show you a black rectangle and two level gauge bars which, knowing Pentax, won't be accurate anyhow. Pentax stock focus screens are traditionally useless with fast manual focus lenses.[COLOR="Silver"]
Mmm seems you haven't read the spec before making your statements.!!

Viewfinder overlay:

1 AF Points,
2 Grid Display,
3 Electronic Level,
4 AF Frame,
5 Spot Metering

As to your bit of plastic off an old camera added to your K series , That is exactly what Ricoh wants to stop.
Unless you never use the camera auto exposure function your camera are now broken as they cannot provide accurate exposure data the sensors.
In addition unless you have proper calibration tool to shim the non standard Matte your MF will be less accurate than the default F2 Matte III
and for anyone adding a split prism matte AF will be all over the place due to the split prism.

good job all round eh

I wonder why Ricoh stopped this potentially lucrative accessory business ..... Oh Yeah support costs greater than potential income.!

Last edited by awaldram; 02-18-2016 at 06:26 AM.
02-18-2016, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #566
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Which is not YOU.

You are not US.
Unless you're his wife, you're out of subject and need to read carefully first then answer.

---------- Post added 02-18-16 at 02:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Mmm seems you haven't read the spec before making your statements.!!

Viewfinder overlay:

1 AF Points,
2 Grid Display,
3 Electronic Level,
4 AF Frame,
5 Spot Metering

As to your bit of plastic off an old camera added to your K series , That is exactly what Ricoh wants to stop.
Unless you never use the camera auto exposure function your camera are now broken as they cannot provide accurate exposure data the sensors.
In addition unless you have proper calibration tool to shim the non standard Matte your MF will be less accurate than the default F2 Matte III and AF will be all over the place due to the split prism.

good job all round eh
Why would Ricoh make people stop using their product the way they want ? Giving an interchangeable screen is a move from Pentax to allow this use and it's totally understandable to want it. The only reason it's not there in the K-1 is that another functionality was prioritized (Overlay required because of the crop mode).
02-18-2016, 06:24 AM   #567
Pentaxian

Smallprint in the middle of page 4 - 'The focusing screen is fixed on the camera body, and is not interchangeable.'
So no more dust behind the focus screen, but also no more shimming. It better be well calibrated for manual focus or it will go straight back to where it came from.
02-18-2016, 06:27 AM   #568
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
In addition unless you have proper calibration tool to shim the non standard Matte your MF will be less accurate than the default F2 Matte III and AF will be all over the place due to the split prism.
I beg to differ.
02-18-2016, 06:35 AM   #569
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do we know what sensor's been used ? I ask in terms of thinking about the potential DR will be so a comparison might be possible using DXOmark's sensor measurements. Is it likely to now come close to the D810 ? I'm often finding I'm trying to squeeze out the last drop of DR on my K-3s at ISO 100 and a little more room, might be help a bit at times.

Personally I think Ricoh have pitched the K-1 just perfectly, as an affordable (for FF) FF version of the great (stills camera) K-3/k-3II. I've emailed them to say that earlier this morning Next a few tweaks of the lens line up and an upgrade path is available if required ...
02-18-2016, 06:36 AM   #570
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
So no more dust behind the focus screen, but also no more shimming. It better be well calibrated for manual focus or it will go straight back to where it came from.
Now that is a valid point ... No more user correction for Pentax errors

Hopefully as no play in mount this will become a non issue.

---------- Post added 18-02-16 at 01:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Do we know what sensor's been used ? I ask in terms of thinking about the potential DR will be so a comparison might be possible using DXOmark's sensor measurements. Is it likely to now come close to the D810 ? I'm often finding I'm trying to squeeze out the last drop of DR on my K-3s at ISO 100 and a little more room, might be help a bit at times.

Personally I think Ricoh have pitched the K-1 just perfectly, as an affordable (for FF) FF version of the great (stills camera) K-3/k-3II. I've emailed them to say that earlier this morning Next a few tweaks of the lens line up and an upgrade path is available if required ...
Given the ISO rating it should be the same or better than the D810 @ max DR

i.e the k1 should be => DR :iso100 than the d810 @ iso64