Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 320 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 09:32 AM - 9 Likes   #586
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not much of a Pentaxian anymore - I've divested myself of more than half my gear and shoot with another brand - but seeing the K-1 makes me smile. It seems like a love-letter from Pentax to those faithful users who have cared so much about the marque over the years - those folks who stubbornly held on to their old Takumars, those who spent years building a collection of pristine K-series lenses, those who carefully tuck in their Three Princesses at night... Ricoh appears to have built a superb camera aimed at the heart of their fandom, and I think that is beautiful, even heartwarming.

02-18-2016, 09:40 AM   #587
Pentaxian

I have to say I'm surprisingly tempted by this camera. It's beautiful, rugged, well-specified, competitively priced, and from all the publicity material Ricoh's already put out it seems obvious that its engineers have been dying to make exactly such a product for many years. 300k shutter actuations? Nice! Ergonomics and usability seem top notch. Love the back screen mechanism. Can't wait to see pixel shift images with the 36MP, and would love to shoot some myself.

On the downside, even though it's small for a full frame, it's still a fairly massive camera. There's also no focus peaking info overlay in the OVF unfortunately, and it appears that the patent on using IR to improve AF accuracy hasn't made its way into a camera just yet.

Although very competitive, the price is still expensive for me, and the weakness of the Canadian dollar really hurts. Still, this is a camera apparently built to last, and I could conceivably buy this body and be happy for something like five years... I didn't expect it, but suddenly Pentax has released a full-frame body that just might be my next camera.
02-18-2016, 09:58 AM - 3 Likes   #588
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It seems like a love-letter from Pentax to those faithful users who have cared so much about the marque over the years - those folks who stubbornly held on to their old Takumars, those who spent years building a collection of pristine K-series lenses, those who carefully tuck in their Three Princesses at night... Ricoh appears to have built a superb camera aimed at the heart of their fandom, and I think that is beautiful, even heartwarming.
Reading this actually brought a tear to my eye. One thing is for sure, the Japanese appreciate sentimentality, know when to make a bow to tradition and know how to reward loyalty. What we have been given is the best-balanced full-frame digital SLR you could ever want to put in the hands of a dedicated stills photographer. In the current market, leaving video out entirely was impossible, but I think they would have done it if that hadn't been an issue.

I can almost imagine the final pre-design briefing: "For some of those old Takumar-era Pentaxians, it may be the last camera they ever buy. Make it fantastic and build it to last, but also make it handy and make it affordable - you want them to buy it, not to die regretting that they couldn't."

It's nice to see someone who isn't so wedded to the brand anymore yet who understands what the K-1 is really about. Thanks.
02-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #589
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've bought some of those lenses. , and .

02-18-2016, 10:27 AM - 2 Likes   #590

You know, for the musicians in the forum (I'm sure we're well-stocked...), they might understand the subtle benefits a camera like this brings. If you're a photographer, this is a photographer's camera. We sometimes shoot to pay the bills, sometimes shoot for family obligations, sometimes just to console oneself just as musicians play for the same reasons. But when selfishness permits, I love to shoot for myself, to satisfy what I like to paint for my eyes. Just as, sometimes, you just have to play an instrument for it's therapy that heals you, so too, is photography therapeutic. And this camera, for me, is, so far, a big deal...It will, in the hands of some of these very talented photographers in this forum, tell some beautiful, amazing stories and that is pretty cool...Good times ahead...
02-18-2016, 10:45 AM   #591

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DoubtingThomas Quote
You know, for the musicians in the forum (I'm sure we're well-stocked...), they might understand the subtle benefits a camera like this brings. If you're a photographer, this is a photographer's camera. We sometimes shoot to pay the bills, sometimes shoot for family obligations, sometimes just to console oneself just as musicians play for the same reasons. But when selfishness permits, I love to shoot for myself, to satisfy what I like to paint for my eyes. Just as, sometimes, you just have to play an instrument for it's therapy that heals you, so too, is photography therapeutic. And this camera, for me, is, so far, a big deal...It will, in the hands of some of these very talented photographers in this forum, tell some beautiful, amazing stories and that is pretty cool...Good times ahead...

I know exactly what you mean
02-18-2016, 10:52 AM - 4 Likes   #592
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Ricoh-Pentax for giving me an excuse to squander my children's inheritance on something I do not need at all.

02-18-2016, 11:11 AM   #593
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Thank you Ricoh-Pentax for giving me an excuse to squander my children's inheritance on something I do not need at all.
That's the best stuff to squander it on.
02-18-2016, 11:14 AM - 2 Likes   #594
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Actually I got my first first Pentax (and first SLR) when my father died in 2006, after he had been using it for about 25 years for family photos and his passions, watching rare birds and old traditional boat building. Its a camera witch preserved so many good memories. I bought a K200D to go digital with his lenses and built on this system ever since. The K system have been a loving relationship for a decade and probably decades to come. Don't view Pentax equipment as a way of squander your children's inheritance. Its an investment in their future and their memory of their childhood and you. Enjoy it as long as possible before its time to pass it on to the next generation.

Last edited by Simen1; 02-19-2016 at 04:21 AM.
02-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #595
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
still picture-taking full-frame machine of our dreams - and stopped at nothing to make sure it wasn't FREAKING IMPOSSIBLY HUGE.
If it was the size of the Nikon D4 it wouldn't have stopped me. And in any case Pentax has never really made a 35mm camera that was really all that big compared to the competition.
02-18-2016, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #596
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
If it was the size of the Nikon D4 it wouldn't have stopped me. And in any case Pentax has never really made a 35mm camera that was really all that big compared to the competition.
Don't you own 2 of everything photographic anyway!

Anyway, looks like everything around Goolwa is going to be twice as wide soon.
02-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #597
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
Sorry if this has already been shared / known, but has anyone seen the new expanded website

PENTAX K-1 Special site | RICOH IMAGING

Looks much more 'serious' than parts of the teaser campaign.
It starts with: Philosophy – Onwards to new fields

The Prologue itself is nothing but worth reading. It makes me admire Pentax and the K-1 more than any spec sheet. I can't deny that it feels a little bit like the Leica of modern time.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'm not much of a Pentaxian anymore - I've divested myself of more than half my gear and shoot with another brand - but seeing the K-1 makes me smile. It seems like a love-letter from Pentax to those faithful users who have cared so much about the marque over the years - those folks who stubbornly held on to their old Takumars, those who spent years building a collection of pristine K-series lenses, those who carefully tuck in their Three Princesses at night... Ricoh appears to have built a superb camera aimed at the heart of their fandom, and I think that is beautiful, even heartwarming.
...well written.
02-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #598
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
looks like everything around Goolwa is going to be twice as wide soon.
Including the Hindmarsh island bridge?

---------- Post added 2016-02-19 at 09:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Don't you own 2 of everything photographic anyway!
I don't own any Olympus,Panasonic,Sony,Bronica or Mamiya equipment.
02-18-2016, 03:50 PM   #599
Veteran Member

Including the Hindmarsh island bridge?

Maybe not the bridge...... it's already been made too much of......

---------- Post added 19-02-16 at 09:22 AM ----------

I don't own any Olympus,Panasonic,Sony,Bronica or Mamiya equipment.
HAha.... much quicker to list what you don't have!

Anyway.... get to work with your K50/1.2 when your K1 arrives..... can't wait to see
02-18-2016, 05:41 PM   #600
Pentaxian

I think the specs should pretty much make most people happy. I'm not one of the "got to have a FF" group and as all the speculation has gone on, I pretty much had decided that the FF wasn't likely to end up in my camera collection anytime soon as I assumed it would be out of reach. The price is a pleasant surprise! It's affordable but I will need a new hard drive for those huge 36MP files. The physical size looks good too. It's not a neck breaking monster.

My K5 is going on 5 years old and a new body isn't far off. I'll give this one a serious look but the fact remains that my photography benefits using an aps-c sensor. Decisions, decisions........