Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 320 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 11:56 PM   #616
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Have you ordered one yet? Some have contacted kennedy direct I hear....was thinking of doing that but I did't want to encourage them to set a to high a price.

No need for discretion..... Anna knows what I'm doing well before me!

PS... of course you will be invited.....in your capacity as the official wine supplier to the K1 party.
I ordered, and realised that I'll be in Denmark for whole April...now requesting if it can be sent to DK instead of home address...might have to buy it from DK, maybe even sneak to germany and try to find better prize.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You're on!

I want to go this party too!!

02-19-2016, 12:46 AM   #617
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not yet. A direct approach may be the go, but I'll give CRK a week or so to get up and running with a pre-sale.
i'm going over CRK's heads this time, with all the crap they gave me over the sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 lens. I have another 645Z and a K-1 on order.....the staff responsible for optical testing at CRK can jump into a boiling vat of boron for all i care..
02-19-2016, 01:14 AM   #618
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the staff responsible for optical testing at CRK can jump into a boiling vat of boron for all i care..
Go on Doug, tell us what you really think
02-19-2016, 01:16 AM - 2 Likes   #619
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go on Doug, tell us what you really think
Too many trilingual obscenities would be involved.

02-19-2016, 01:36 AM   #620
Veteran Member

Too many trilingual obscenities would be involved.
I went to Findon High School in the early 70's...... so I'm good for 10 or so languages of obscenities.....

On another note..... where can you preorder a K1 in Adelaide?

---------- Post added 19-02-16 at 07:08 PM ----------

You're on!
Nice of you to shout DCshooter a plane ticket......

---------- Post added 19-02-16 at 07:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Send me a ticket, and I'll be happy to join both of you and bring plenty of American liquor. It's been over 10 years now since I've last been in Oz, so I figure I'm about due

We could have all the old lenses around Australia sent here...... you could then CLA & anodize them etc as a working holiday...... 50 or so should cover it.....

Oh yeah.... how are you getting along with the 85?

Last edited by noelpolar; 02-19-2016 at 01:44 AM.
02-19-2016, 02:19 AM   #621
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am also interested in a response to this....
QuoteQuote:
Nice of you to shout DCshooter a plane ticket......
I missed that nuance
02-19-2016, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #622
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Camera house on Grenfell street: just mention my name, that will make them pay attention.

02-19-2016, 03:46 AM   #623
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Camera house on Grenfell street: just mention my name, that will make them pay attention.
You can swear trilingually and scare camera shops?
02-19-2016, 03:50 AM   #624
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
You can swear trilingually and scare camera shops?
both of which are undervalued talents.
02-19-2016, 04:18 AM - 6 Likes   #625
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at the negativity. There are always two groups of naysayers that come out when there is a new product released. The first is the cheap Pentaxians who are upset because the camera has video, too many megapixels, weather sealing, and too high a frame rate and if Pentax had just dropped or cut down some of those features, maybe the camera would have been in line with their budget. As it is, they're going to be stuck shooting with a used A7 and moving to a Canon 6D later this spring. The other group are those who feel that the new release is under-specified and wish for more -- often a specific feature or sensor -- clean iso 1,000,000, 8K video, face detection in PDAF, 10 fps with a deep buffer, etc. The problem with both groups is that they are actually very small individually. The number of people who are actually bothered that there is video on their camera is relatively small (and would leaving video off actually decrease the price?). The number who need 4K video (and use it regularly) is probably smaller.

In the end, I do believe that Pentax was building this camera toward a specific price point, a sub-2000 dollar price point. Because of that, they ended up with some compromises. Maybe there is a little older sensor. There has not been a lot of R and D focus on video. But to me, this is a mid-level camera that work well with what Pentax's strengths have been over the years.

There is still room for a higher end camera between the K-1 and the 645Z if the K-1 sells well and Pentax sees their market share going up enough, but we need to be honest and say that if Pentax had released a 3000 dollar camera, even if the specs were top notch, the response would have been underwhelming.

Last edited by Rondec; 02-20-2016 at 03:16 AM.
02-19-2016, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #626
Pentaxian

I totally agree with you.
K-1 looks like a very good camera, it could be better but it's just impossible to satisfy everyone.

I'd love to have a DSLR able to shoot 4K video but in fact i just don't need 4K.
I'd love to have a 12 FPS camera but i don't shot so much sport photos and a 12 FPS camera is way too expensive.
In fact this K-1 is going to be a very comfortable compromise.
02-19-2016, 06:27 AM   #627
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the mistake that most people make is that they think that Pentax should make a camera targeted just for them. Pentax needs to leave off any features that they don't personally need and include any features that they personally need. People have this impression that if Pentax made a digital K1000, they could sell it for 800 dollars or something astronomically low. But the actual sales would be so abysmal that it is pretty unlikely that they could sell it for less than they are selling the K-1 for (it would probably actually be more expensive to make such a low volume item).
02-19-2016, 06:28 AM   #628
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All of us have our dream camera or dream feature. Would have been wonderful (for me) if the K1 had cracked the "50mp barrier" (Next logical uptick, perhaps, would be 64mp), but that would probably have been at the cost of greater noise at high ISO and low light conditions. How many lenses would profit from such a sensor? How many images, viewed on screen or as prints, would look different coming from a 64mp sensor versus a 36mp sensor? I think it's safe to assume a higher pixel count will not enhance bokeh.

PS: Raise the cry: CARPE K1!

Last edited by WPRESTO; 02-19-2016 at 06:47 AM.
02-19-2016, 07:31 AM   #629
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
clean iso 1,000,000
That's the one! Screw everything else
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
they think that Pentax should make a camera targeted just for them
Yes, and what's your point
02-19-2016, 07:34 AM   #630
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ISO 1,000,000 = to be selected only for the (in)famous black cat on a pile of coal in an unlit windowless cellar on a moonless night. Way back, a photo magazine actually published just such an image, in B&W of course.