Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 320 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2016, 06:39 AM   #646
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Let us also hope they reduced the manual focus shutter lag...

02-20-2016, 07:54 AM   #647
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
*Bonus points for a zoom T/S lens, that would be interesting.
Well you could have that now: a 645 zoom on a Mirex tilt/shift adapter. But I understand your desire: for Pentax to productize this would signal to me that they are serious about giving a reason to own both systems. Hopefully they will offer such an item or at the very least, partner with Mirex.

Michael
02-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #648
mee
Veteran Member

So are we heading to a camera that shoots at ISO 1,000,000 at 1,000 fps with 1 Gigapixels on a 15-500 f/2.8 where we just take 1/2 second of footage, then send the memory card to the lab where a team of photoshopians spend weeks pulling out the frames we want, cropping the items from these frames we want, and call it a day (err month)? There is a comic strip in there.. somewhere..
02-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #649
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Well you could have that now: a 645 zoom on a Mirex tilt/shift adapter.
I would prefer something with an AW/WR design. I'm sure those mirex adapters are nice, but there are a lot of moving parts where I can see there would be issues with rain/sand/snow getting in.

02-20-2016, 08:41 AM   #650
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I'am scared to go over iso 800 on APSC but I reckon this would be over iso 1600 on FF. Meaning this would not change much most of the time as the deph of field would also be different.

And I'am really scared on APSC of iso 3200 and up. Theses tend to give not so satisfying results.

This is just that iso 1600 on APSC pictures are not very detailled, without that much nice colors and struggle already at a full screen preview (full HD). I also reckon that not all X isos shoots are equals, Good light high speed shot do lot better and you gain easily 1EV and a good lighting system also greating improve the results you get at a given iso settings.

Apologies if this has been covered earlier.

I don't see an extended ISO option mentioned anywhere but I see that the ISO specs say (my emphasis):

"Sensitivity
(Standard output) ISO AUTO/100 to 204800 (EV steps can be set to 1EV, 1/2EV or 1/3EV)"

Does this mean that there is the possibility of extended ISO (both higher and lower) as a firmware upgrade?

Last edited by Dieseler; 02-20-2016 at 08:43 AM. Reason: too many mentions!
02-20-2016, 09:29 AM   #651
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
Apologies if this has been covered earlier.

Does this mean that there is the possibility of extended ISO (both higher and lower) as a firmware upgrade?
Software lower ISO is not interesting at all. It's the same ISO in reality as base ISO100.
02-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #652

There was a clarification from Adam recently in one of the threads.
Pentax no more mentions it as extended ISO in their specs.

02-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #653
Veteran Member

Pentax don't do extended ISO ranges. They just list the whole ISO range of the camera straight-up.

But note that Pentax pixel-shift tech doesn't just boost resolution, it also boosts dynamic range and reduces noise. Hence achieving what one might obtain from lower ISO. So a ISO 100 pixel-shift shot might work out, effectively, to be an ISO 50 shot ...
02-20-2016, 01:54 PM   #654
Pentaxian

Plus P-S eliminates chromatic aberrations
02-20-2016, 02:36 PM   #655
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Plus P-S eliminates chromatic aberrations
No, it doesn't. It eliminates color artifacts from the bayer filter, not color artifacts caused by the lens.
02-20-2016, 03:02 PM   #656
Pentaxian

OK, do you know examples where this (true CA) could be seen, on Imaging Ressources samples i only can find the first ones.
02-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #657
Veteran Member

IR used high quality lenses in their test, but I found a little CA anyway. Look at the corners of this test photo taken with K-3II in pixel shift mode. There is clearly some CA. I cant find the same test chart tested with the same camera without pixel shift, but from the other test charts it looks about the same amount.

The sensor and camera dont have any way of distinguishing between color fringing caused by CA in the lens and color fringes present on the subject itself.

Pixel shift mode only takes away color artefacts casused by the bayer pattern, like color moiré.
02-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #658

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Thank you Ricoh-Pentax for giving me an excuse to squander my children's inheritance on something I do not need at all.
Well, most importantly, when handing over those one kilo of glass 24-70 and 15-30s from your deathbed, don't drop them!

A+
02-20-2016, 04:54 PM   #659
Pentaxian

Can someone explain why there are so many complaints about the megapixel count? I do not understand why it is a problem at all since one can choose in the menus to shoot smaller size files if they desire. It is better to have the megapixels than to not have them, as some people crop heavily and/or print very large and truly need them.
02-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #660
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unfortunately I don't see it anywhere in the Custom function menu, So if Pentax doesn't have it listed there there is a zero possibility of it being added in later.

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Software lower ISO is not interesting at all. It's the same ISO in reality as base ISO100.
Software ISO is a contentious issue, but Canon and Leica cameras make use of it with considerable success so I wouldn't write it off so quickly. Keep in mind the lower the ISO range can go, the more effective the flash sync will be at overpowering ambient daylight. Since no current DSLR can sync natively at speeds greater than 1/500th.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Pentax don't do extended ISO ranges.
Really?