Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 320 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2016, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #691
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is really no technical reason why sr cannot be used in video. It works in live view, it worked on the k7/k5. Yes it is a bit noisy, but that doesn't matter when you record sound externally or when you just do not use the sound recording. The fact that Pentax doesn't give us a choice to enable it even though people have clearly and loudly complained about it must be because it is a patent related issue.

02-22-2016, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #692
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax have been clever. Very clever. They probably got the 36 Mp sensor much cheaper then a 42 Mp BSI sensor, but they made an incredibly feature rich camera based on that sensor. The screen "hinge" and LEDs probably didn't cost them much, but both gives large practical value, and media attention. The SR mechanism was probably a moderate cost as most of it was ready developed and just needed to be scaled up to full frame. I guess the new shutter, prism and VF optics also was a moderate cost. All in all a huge value for a moderate investment. Thats why they were able to send shock waves through the FF industry with a 1800 $price tag.

Advanced video features like 4K and high frame rate full HD are probably not compatible with the sensor. A sensor to support that would probably cost a lot more. And a firmware to support all the video modes and cooperation with a constantly on SR mechamism is probably time consuming to make. This would probably have delayed the launch a lot. I think both choices where clever.

Fake autumn 2016 teaser removed!

I think Pentax are currently developing a FF camera with 4K video, high fps full HD and faster burst shooting, to be released later, maybe late this year or in 2017. I guess they just did a tactical switch of witch camera to release first. That decision might have come from a lot of reasons.

- Buying more time to the video features development
- Shortening our waiting for the first FF
- Financially smarter starting price point
- The sensor price might be negotiated down by waiting for a later delivery

I don't think video SR are shut off because of noise. I think it was shut off because of heat issues and difficult algorithms for smooth camera movements. The internal stereo mic are not for high quality sound anyway. Anybody wanting high quality sound in their video uses a high quality external mic or independent recorder.

The lower price for the 36 Mp sensor gives them more headroom to lower the prices of the camera to increase the competition, in case the sales numbers are not satisfactory. Oh, I think they will be very satisfactory, this precaution would just be a financially safe plan B.

Note, this is pure speculation and wishes based on a few thin strings of logic. What do you think?

Last edited by Simen1; 02-22-2016 at 09:54 AM.
02-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #693
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
I think it was shut off because of heat issues
This is actually a very good point, shunting heat away from a sensor on a floating IS platform isn't exactly easy.
02-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #694
Pentaxian

Remember the FF teaser side from september 2015?
I don't remember seeing that, ever, on pentax.com. Isn't it a fake?

Last edited by Kunzite; 02-22-2016 at 09:38 AM.
02-22-2016, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #695
Pentaxian

It said spring: http://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2015/09/pentaxffteaserpage.jpg

---------- Post added 22-02-16 at 18:11 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
This is actually a very good point, shunting heat away from a sensor on a floating IS platform isn't exactly easy.
Even if it as fixed it is still a floating sensor system. Moving it about would give of heat quicker.
02-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #696
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums

No. Never was.
02-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #697
Veteran Member

Ohh, I just took that image from a link I followed an hour ago (some complaint about a New Zealand distributor). It didn't occur to me it could be fake. (Why would a Pentax distributor fake it to put Pentax in an unfavourable position?)

That makes part of my speculations weaker. I will remove the link immediately and edit the text accordingly.

Edit: I got the image from Ian R. Little home page. His latest Pentax "news" are from 5 months ago.

Last edited by Simen1; 02-22-2016 at 09:57 AM.
02-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #698
Pentaxian

The initial plan - communicated a year ago - was to have the FF before the end of 2015. So its launching was delayed, not advanced.
02-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #699
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Oh, if you crop? Sure.
I don't think it speeds up the camera - it would probably be casting away the outer pixels after taken, but yep, it's less for your computer to deal with afterwards.
But burst rate of APSC mode is significant faster than FF. Hence I guess speed comes from „physical layer“ and imagine only the APSC pixel area is read out. So it can be faster because less to read out and no cropping of a full raw in post has to be done. The jpeg engine of the camera can directly work on that APSC raw.

Anyway - I’m no hardcore camera techie. So the tech behind the scene in this case is not that important to me. Good thing that we get matched raw files for APSC.
02-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #700
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The initial plan - communicated a year ago - was to have the FF before the end of 2015. So its launching was delayed, not advanced.
+1
I guess
1/ we will have to wait for a few months in order for Ricoh to decide the next step - the plan exist and might have several options
2/ if K-1 is a confirmed success the chances are big that they pursue with an even more affordable yet a bit "crippled" or lower end level body
02-22-2016, 10:44 AM   #701
Veteran Member

Should we already start a thread about future FF cameras?

I guess they will go more expensive first. A faster sensor (fps, video features) and rather reduce the price of K-1 when its in time (maybe a year from now). That makes less room for a cheaper model so it might not be one before we get a K-1 replacement, witch should be at least two years to. I guess the more expensive model could get the same housing as the K-1. The K-1 replacement would probably get a simpler and slightly smaller housing (fixed screen, no GPS, smaller grip, one SD card slot and a control wheel less). A real cost saver that could start at the price point K-1 left at.
02-22-2016, 11:19 AM - 1 Like   #702
Pentaxian

The K-1 replacement would probably get a simpler and slightly smaller housing (fixed screen, no GPS, smaller grip, one SD card slot and a control wheel less). A real cost saver that could start at the price point K-1 left at.
If I were running Pentax, I'd put most of their K-mount cameras in cases virtually identical to the K-1's case. It is striking in appearance, and I believe a visual family resemblance built around that striking appearance would be a seriously good marketing tool.
02-22-2016, 04:17 PM   #703
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote

Even if it as fixed it is still a floating sensor system. Moving it about would give of heat quicker.
Nuh, a fixed sensor can be embedded in a metal heat sink.
02-22-2016, 04:28 PM   #704

*ponders* For a moving sensor, either you move the heatsink (noisy, slow, power hungry) or you need some kind of flexible thermal gel to go between moving sensor and fixed heat sink. That... may be the solution, but it would be a whole new technical challenge to develop.

I wonder if any camera manufacturer is researching along those lines, or if the focus is all on lowering the heat generated in the first place.
02-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #705

Does anybody know what exactly is the K1's sensor make and model? Could it be the same one as in Nikons D7xx/D8xx?