Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2016, 10:52 PM   #61
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by d1n0 Quote
tamron is already back at k-mount the 18-270, 24-70 and 15-30. They probably have a deal with ricoh. Tamron make lenses for pentax but don't make new k-mount lenses under the tamron brand. Maybe they'll even do joint design efforts in future.
18-250

02-21-2016, 03:36 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Humm... i don't like that wording "new chapter" : looks like these lense will rather be for ML...
Help me out here... ML?

Tamron buying Pentax sounds unlikely. How much cash do they have? And I thought Ricoh is in it for the long run.

Ricoh buying Tamron, or Tamron making lenses for Pentax? Would Tamron really announce a teaser like that?

It has to be new products. Could be K mount versions of their lenses (but not Pentax badged versions of those), could be mFT lenses (though Tamron already makes those), could be lenses for Sony.

A larger version of that teaser image: http://www.tamron.eu/uploads/pics/header-new-lenses_01.png

The design of those lenses looks a lot like the new 35 and 45mm SP series lenses Tamron has, but it is not them. It has to be new lenses then. So brand new lenses, and in the same vein as the 35 and 45 SP. Maybe they will also offer it in the K mount, but I doubt it will be about K mount lenses primarily.

How about competitors to the Sigma Art series, or cinema lenses? In the latter case, Pentax is kind of out. Then again, the 2 already existing SP lenses are with stuff like AF, so not really cinema focused.
02-21-2016, 03:48 AM   #63
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Tamron is a sinking ship ... Sinking camera sales means sinking lens sales. .
Sony are trying to turn themselves around, but are part owners of Tamron. They're going to have to work out what to do.
02-21-2016, 04:20 AM   #64
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
How about competitors to the Sigma Art series, or cinema lenses? In the latter case, Pentax is kind of out. Then again, the 2 already existing SP lenses are with stuff like AF, so not really cinema focused.
I think Canon would disagree with you on that.

Btw, I think Zygonyx meant mirrorless.

02-21-2016, 06:11 AM   #65
Veteran Member

i think RICOH was under the pressure when it rebadged some tamron lenses to release with k1 but from now we may see pure pentax lenses.
no more rebadged tamron but new dfa* IMO
02-21-2016, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zmohie Quote
i think RICOH was under the pressure when it rebadged some tamron lenses to release with k1 but from now we may see pure pentax lenses. no more rebadged tamron but new dfa* IMO
Well, why would you want Ricoh to redevelop a lens that already exist and is one of the best. Tamron 24-70 is rated as good or better than Nikon or Canon OEM lenses. Would you want a lower quality lens just because it is designed by Ricoh, that's non sense. Generally, you want to best lens available at the cheapest price. We are getting into the psychology of branding here , If you did not know that the DFA24-70 was from Tamron, given that this lens is outstanding, you'd be proud of Pentax optics! Now that you know it's from Tamron, it's not good anymore.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-21-2016 at 06:29 AM.
02-21-2016, 06:45 AM   #67
Veteran Member

I would love for Ricoh to keep rebadging Tamron lenses, and even start looking at some of the Tokina stuff - that way we as users get high quality lenses at good price points (higher than the Tamron original, but cheaper than Ricoh's own creations) quickly, and it frees up resources for Ricoh to work on their own developments.

However, the question is how much money Ricoh can make by rebadging. They'll have to invest in a number of changes made to the design (take out OS, put weather sealing in, add proprietary coatings), pay Tamron for manufacturing the lenses for them and then they can't even sell them for a lot. Ricoh charges $1,499 for the 15-30, Tamron charged $1,199 at release, the Pentax 24-70 comes in at $1,299, the Tamron version cost exactly the same at release in 2013, and now much less, of course. They do save big time on development, of course, but if rebadging was highly profitable more brands would do it.

So while this is an easy and quick way in getting high quality lenses out, Ricoh cannot make much money with them, and looking at the K-1's price that won't earn them much either. Ricoh Imaging needs to make a profit to stay afloat, so where's the cash cow? I can only assume their own lenses like the 150-450 and 70-200 are doing that job, and they'll want to add more of these.

02-21-2016, 07:05 AM   #68
Pentaxian

If the K1 is successful and Pentax picks up more market share, I would expect to see more K mount offerings from Tamron and Sigma. These companies are hesitant to manufacture new designs in K mount because what they currently offer isn't selling enough to make it worth the effort. While there is always a risk and a lens maker has to compete in the marketplace, keep it in mind that these companies have already backed away from K mount because they have taken a loss. In building "rebadged" lenses for Pentax, Tamron and others assume no risk and sit on no inventory.
02-21-2016, 07:08 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
They'll have to invest in a number of changes made to the design (take out OS, put weather sealing in, add proprietary coatings), pay Tamron for manufacturing the lenses for them and then they can't even sell them for a lot.
I think it's easier to remove things. The only downside is that the size of the DFA24-70 is larger than what it could be if it was designed without VC. I've noticed, generally speaking , all optically stabilized lenses are larger and heavier than non stabilized lenses of the same optical design. I guess VC/VR/OS lenses require some additional room for fitting in the floating element and actuator.
02-21-2016, 07:23 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Ricoh Imaging needs to make a profit to stay afloat, so where's the cash cow?
I'm fairly confident Ricoh has lower soft costs than CaNikon, and has priced their branded and re-branded products at a profit over the planned production run.
02-21-2016, 07:31 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Tamron has the ability to make premium optics. They are just now getting to the point where they can sell premium optics for a price that allows them to be profitable. Sigma was the first to bridge that gap. Tamron has been designing and building premium optics for other companies for several years. The important thing is that they get Pentax HD coatings and the color profile is consistent. People have not been willing to pay a premium for a lens that says Tamron in the past, so Tamron didn't make premium lenses. Tamron make great value lenses.
02-21-2016, 07:44 AM   #72
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The important thing is that they get Pentax HD coatings and the color profile is consistent.
Plus, if it's a Pentax-branded lens, it will be supported by Pentax, which means it will probably continue to work reliably with future DSLRs and/or firmware updates.
02-21-2016, 08:10 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I think it's easier to remove things. The only downside is that the size of the DFA24-70 is larger than what it could be if it was designed without VC. I've noticed, generally speaking , all optically stabilized lenses are larger and heavier than non stabilized lenses of the same optical design. I guess VC/VR/OS lenses require some additional room for fitting in the floating element and actuator.
Check out the specs of the Pentax designed 2.8/70-200 and tell me why others can build a lens with the same specs and with optical lens stabilization with 2-300g less weight.

---------- Post added 21-02-16 at 04:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Check out the specs of the Pentax designed 2.8/70-200 withoput lens stabilizatio and tell me why others can build a lens with the same specs and with optical lens stabilization with 2-300g less weight.
Focus engine and efficient design are also important.
02-21-2016, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Check out the specs of the Pentax designed 2.8/70-200 and tell me why others can build a lens with the same specs and with optical lens stabilization with 2-300g less weight.<font color="Silver"><br />
<br />
<font size="1">---------- Post added 21-02-16 at 04:12 PM ----------</font><br />
<br />
</font><br />
<br />
Check out the specs of the Pentax designed 2.8/70-200 withoput lens stabilizatio and tell me why others can build a lens with the same specs and with optical lens stabilization with 2-300g less weight. <br />
Focus engine and efficient design are also important.
<br />
<br />
Lol, it's not even out yet.<br />
Ok, tell us why FF competitors can't produce a FF cam features packed as the K-1 without getting a behemoth.<br />
This is the same kind of argument, completely stupid.<br />
They chose to. For reasons you might disagree with but they chose. Ricoh chose to design it that way. Why on earth are YOU able to say Ricoh can't develop this or that?<br />
<br />
Who are exactly to say such things?
02-21-2016, 08:23 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sometimes you have to wonder how much they get paid for this.